Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reason code/statement concordance chart

tag
iv
Valued Contributor

Reason code/statement concordance chart

As with several other CMSes, the text of Reason Codes on myfico.com is, by default, a "User Friendly" description, rather than the underlying more specific numeric scoring code and description.

This "friendly" re-phrasing of the reason statements makes them not easily comparable to the reasons in published lists (or provided by lenders).

As such, it seems useful to create a concordance chart, listing both the text you would see in a FICO publication (or on a lender's letter), next to the equivalent "friendly" statement from myFICO.

The chart below has the published phrasing on the left, and on the right is the reason code number, CRA(s) and score types (Classic vs Industry), along with a currently-incomplete list of the myFICO phrasing for each reason code/statement.

(Note that a few numeric codes actually have different meanings between different CRAs and Industry options!)

Want to help add the missing reason statements? See the next post...

(All) - Code applies to all CRAs, both Classic and Industry options (Auto/Bankcard)

(All-I) - Code applies to all CRAs, Industry options ONLY

(EQ/TU/EX) - Code applies only to the listed CRA, Classic and Industry options

(EQ-I/TU-I/EX-I) - Code applies only to the listed CRA, Industry options ONLY

Negative myFICO "Score Factors"/Reason Statements:

FICO Reason Statement (as-published)myFICO (short)myFICO Score Factor/Reason Statement
(long)
Amount owed on accounts is too highHigh account balancesCode: 01 (All) - The balances on your non-mortgage credit accounts are too high.
Level of delinquency on accountsMissed paymentsCode: 02 (All) - You have missed payments or derogatory indicators on your credit accounts.
Too few bank/national revolving accounts Code: 03 (EQ/EX) - 
Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high Code: 03 (TU) - 
Too many bank/national revolving accounts Code: 04 (EQ/EX) - 
Lack of recent installment loan information Code: 04 (TU) - 
Too many accounts with balancesAccounts with balancesCode: 05 (All) - You have too many credit accounts with balances.
Too many consumer finance company accountsConsumer finance accountsCode: 06 (All) - You have a consumer finance account on your credit report.
Account payment history is too new to rate Code: 07 (All) - 
Too many inquiries last 12 monthsSeeking creditCode: 08 (All) - You've recently been looking for credit.
Too many accounts recently openedMany new accountsCode: 09 (All) - You've recently opened too many new credit accounts.
Proportion of balances to credit limits on bank/national revolving or other revolving accounts is too highHigh credit usageCode: 10 (EQ/TU) - You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit.
Ratio of balance to limit on bank revolving or other rev accts too highHigh credit usageCode: 10 (EX) - You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit.
Amount owed on revolving accounts is too highHigh revolving balancesCode: 11 (All) - The amount owed on your revolving and/or open-ended accounts is too high.
Length of time revolving accounts have been establishedShort revolving historyCode: 12 (All) - You have not established a long revolving and/or open-ended account credit history.
Time since delinquency is too recent or unknownRecent missed paymentCode: 13 (All) - You recently missed a payment or had a derogatory indicator reported on your credit report.
Length of time accounts have been establishedShort account historyCode: 14 (All) - You have a short credit history.
Lack of recent bank/national revolving informationNo credit card activityCode: 15 (All) - There is no recent activity on credit cards and/or bank-issued open-ended accounts.
Lack of recent revolving account information Code: 16 (All) - 
No recent non-mortgage balance informationNo account activityCode: 17 (All) - There is no recently reported activity on any of your non-mortgage credit accounts.
Number of accounts with delinquencyBad payment historyCode: 18 (All) - You have one or more accounts showing payments or derogatory indicators.
Too few accounts currently paid as agreed Code: 19 (EQ/EX) - 
Date of last inquiry too recent Code: 19 (TU) - 
Time since derogatory public record or collection is too short Code: 20 (All) - 
Amount past due on accounts Code: 21 (All) - 
Number of bank/national revolving accounts with balancesCredit cards with balancesCode: 23 (EQ) - You have too many credit cards and/or open-ended accounts carrying balances.
No recent revolving balancesNot using revolving creditCode: 24 (All) - There are no recent balances on your revolving and/or open-ended accounts.
Length of time installment loans have been establishedShort loan historyCode: 25 (EQ-I/EX-I)- You have not established a long installment credit history.
Number of revolving accounts Code: 26 (EQ-I/EX-I) - 
Number of bank/national revolving or other revolving accountsNumber of revolving accountsCode: 26 (TU-I) - You have too few or too many revolving and/or open-ended accounts.
Too few accounts currently paid as agreed Code: 27 (TU) - 
Number of established accountsNumber of credit accountsCode: 28 (EX-I) - You have too few or too many credit accounts.
Number of established accountsNumber of credit accountsCode: 28 (EQ/TU) - You have too few or too many credit accounts.
No recent bank/national revolving balancesNot using credit cardsCode: 29 (TU) - There are no recent balances on your credit cards and/or open-ended accounts.
Time since most recent account opening is too shortNew accountCode: 30 (All) - You opened a new credit account relatively recently.
Too few accounts with recent payment information Code: 31 (EX-I) - 
Amount owed on delinquent accounts Code: 31 (TU-I*) - 
Too few accounts with recent payment information Code: 31 (EQ) - 
Lack of recent installment loan informationNo loan activityCode: 32 (EQ/TU/EX) - You have a lack of recent activity from a non-mortgage installment loan.
Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too highLoan balancesCode: 33 (EQ/EX) - The remaining balance on your mortgage or non-mortgage installment loans is relatively high.
Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too highLoan balancesCode: 33 (TU) - The remaining balance on your mortgage or non-mortgage installment loans is relatively high.
Amount owed on delinquent accounts Code: 34 (EX-I) - 
Amount owed on delinquent accounts Code: 34 (EQ) - 
Length of time open installment loans have been establishedShort loan historyCode: 36 (EX-I) - Your open installment loans do not show a long credit history.
Number of finance co accts established relative to length of finance hist Code: 37 (EX-I) - 
Serious delinquency, and public record or collection filed Code: 38 (All) - 
Serious delinquency Code: 39 (All) - 
Derogatory public record or collection filed Code: 40 (All) - 
Payments due on accounts Code: 46 (EX) - 
Lack of recent auto loan information Code: 97 (TU-I) - 
Lack of recent auto finance loan informationNo auto loan activityCode: 98 (EQ-I) - You have no recent activity from an auto loan.
Lack of recent auto finance loan informationNo auto loan activityCode: 98 (TU-I) - You have no recent activity from an auto loan.
Lack of recent auto loan informationNo auto loan activityCode: 98 (EX-I) - You have no recent activity from an auto loan.
Length of time consumer finance company loans have been established Code: 98 (TU) - 
Lack of recent consumer finance company account information Code: 99 (All-I) - 

Positive myFICO "Score Factors"/Reason Statements:

myFICO (short)myFICO Score Factor/Reason Statement
(long)
No missed paymentsCode: 502 - You have no missed payments on your credit accounts.
Few accounts with balancesCode: 505 - You have a limited number of credit accounts with a balance.
Not seeking creditCode: 508 - You're not actively looking for credit.
Low revolving credit usageCode: 510 - You've limited the use of your available revolving credit.
Long revolving historyCode: 512 - You have an established revolving and/or open-ended account credit history.
Bills paid on time recentlyCode: 513 - You've recently been paying your bills on time.
Long credit historyCode: 514 - You have an established credit history.
Recent credit card usageCode: 515 - You've shown recent use of credit cards and/or bank-issued open-ended accounts.
Recent revolving account usageCode: 516 - You've shown recent use of revolving and/or open-ended accounts.
Many accounts paid on timeCode: 519 - You have a sufficient number of accounts that are currently paid as agreed.
Substantial installment loan repaymentCode: 533 - Your balances on mortgage and/or non-mortgage installment loans are relatively low or substantially paid off.
No collection or public recordCode: 540 - You have no public records or collections on your credit report.

myFICO Resilience Index "Red Flags"/Reason Statements:

myFICO (short)myFICO Red Flag/Reason Statement
(long)
High installment loan amounts dueCode: 113 - The amount due on your installment loans is high.
High percent of revolving accountsCode: 116 - You have a high proportion of revolving accounts.

List updated 2021-06-06

(with additional text from @Curious_George2 and @Anonymous )

Added Positive codes, found alternate TU versions of code 33 and 98 (matching EQ/EX, but not matching published code tables).

Added "short-form" myFICO "Score Factors"/Reason Statements.

Corrected typo on code 514, added code 29

Added Resilience short/long/numeric table

Added 26,32,505, found alternate TU version of code 32 (matching EQ/EX)

Added short version for 2,6,13,18, added code 513

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 1 of 85
84 REPLIES 84
iv
Valued Contributor

Re: Reason code/statement concordance chart

To see the numeric reason codes along-side the myFICO "friendly" reason statements, use the "Extended Reason Codes" browser extension:

For Chrome, Edge, Opera, or other Chromium-based browsers that use CWS (including Kiwi Browser on Android):
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/extended-reason-codes/nngnienpffkahlfkbeeccfnhfohniidg

For Firefox, or Mozilla-ish browsers that use AMO:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/extended-reason-codes/

Add the extension, then take a look at Reports->Scores. As of version 0.2.3, Print View will also generate a downloadable CSV with complete data for ALL available reports. As of version 0.4.1, Reports->Scores->Compare will display the correct Reason Code ORDER (replacing the checkmarks with 1-4). As of version 0.5.2, Resilience Score Reasons Codes are also displayed, as are numeric FICO 8 Score Ingredients.

If you are using an iPhone or iPad, or Chrome mobile (no extension support), you can use the following bookmarklet for the basic Reason Code # addition in Safari mobile or Chrome mobile (Firefox mobile appears to have an outstanding bug about adding bookmarklets from mobile), bookmarklet also linked here:

javascript&colon;factors=document.getElementsByClassName("factor-list");for(let i=0;i<factors.length;i++){reasoncode=factors[i].getAttribute("data-code");dive=factors[i].childNodes;dive = dive[0].childNodes;dive = dive[0].childNodes;if(dive[1]!==undefined){if (!dive[1].textContent.startsWith("Code:")){dive[1].textContent="Code: " + reasoncode + " - " + dive[1].textContent;console.log(dive[1].textContent);}}}

If you aren't familiar with bookmarklets, create a bookmark (to any page, it doesn't matter), then Edit the bookmark name to be "Extended Reason Codes", and the URL to be the full text string above (all one line). Then go to the page you want to see codes on, and tap the bookmark. Unlike the extensions, you'll need to tap the bookmark for each scoring page separately, and the CSV is not available with the bookmarklet.

If you have a code/statement combo that isn't yet on the list above, post it! (Screenshot or copy/paste, but keep the phrasing exact...)

Message 2 of 85
iv
Valued Contributor

Interested in how it works?

UPDATE: version 0.6.1

Source here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vpHe7OSC_CfG3tx0YzSlKW9I-Dzwk43x/view?usp=sharing

New Features!

Added Reason Code numbers on the main Scores tab

Added initial (limited) support for 1B Reports

(1B Report support now requires www2.myfico.com in addition to secure.myfico.com)

UPDATE: version 0.5.2

Source here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KawXdpMM1dUJ2Qlaez_qcFHMhYjzBBUB/view?usp=sharing

New features!

Resilience Score Reason Code numbers are now displayed on FRI screen

Numeric 0-5 Ratings are now displayed on FICO 8 Score Ingredients screen

Scores without Reason Codes (within 50 points of model max) are now also included in CSV export

Resilience Scores are now included in CSV export (including all prior FRI scores, not just current)

Additional columns in CSV export for numeric Score Ingredients

UPDATE: version 0.4.1

Source here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vffiASFsGgD40eRvafoob4YqFoRt3hcB/view?usp=sharing

New feature!

In 0.4.1, Reports->Scores->Compare will display the correct Reason Code ORDER (replacing the checkmarks with 1-4).

UPDATE: version 0.2.3

Source here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/171XulsWh_Ta2LGsU3iCngkdX9J7h_Hz0/view?usp=sharing

New feature!

0.2.3, in addition to just adding Reason Code numbers on the Reports screens, now has a special feature if you click the Print option on any 3B report... it will generate a downloadable CSV (tab-separated, actually) of scores, Reason Codes, and both the "short" (Scores view) and "long" (Reports view) versions of the myFICO Score Factor text, including the correct order of Reason Codes for each available report/score combo.

The originally-published 0.1.7 extension source is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E9CGHCGLlD3aGM_jEuZ1tWO_y4XhotBV/view?usp=sharing

Message 3 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks great! Is there a solution for the app?

Message 4 of 85
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks! I hope we can fill in most (all?) of the remaining re-phrased reason codes fairly soon.

App support? Nope. Not possible.

There are a few mobile options, but desktop is going to be better in general (you have the Print View, to see all reason codes at once, which the mobile view doesn't offer).

For Android, you can use one of the (few) mobile browsers that support extensions, like Kiwi (easy, uses the Chrome Web Store link) or Firefox Nightly dev builds (uses AMO, but there's some hoops to jump through to set it up).

For iOS, Safari mobile doesn't support webextensions (even though it works just fine on desktop Safari), and Apple doesn't allow 3rd-party browsers to have full extension support either.

(Hmm... It might work as a bookmarklet on Safari mobile, though. I'll get back to you on that.)

Message 5 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iv wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks! I hope we can fill in most (all?) of the remaining re-phrased reason codes fairly soon.

App support? Nope. Not possible.

There are a few mobile options, but desktop is going to be better in general (you have the Print View, to see all reason codes at once, which the mobile view doesn't offer).

For Android, you can use one of the (few) mobile browsers that support extensions, like Kiwi (easy, uses the Chrome Web Store link) or Firefox Nightly dev builds (uses AMO, but there's some hoops to jump through to set it up).

For iOS, Safari mobile doesn't support webextensions (even though it works just fine on desktop Safari), and Apple doesn't allow 3rd-party browsers to have full extension support either.

(Hmm... It might work as a bookmarklet on Safari mobile, though. I'll get back to you on that.)

@iv Thank you, please do. I'm on iPhone and typically use Firefox, but use chrome & Safari but could use whatever.

Message 6 of 85
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@iv Thank you, please do. I'm on iPhone and typically use Firefox, but use chrome & Safari but could use whatever.

Alright... it does work as a bookmarklet in Safari mobile and Chrome mobile (Firefox mobile appears to have an outstanding bug about adding bookmarklets from mobile).

Here you go (also linked here):

javascript:factors=document.getElementsByClassName("factor-list");for(let i=0;i<factors.length;i++){reasoncode=factors[i].getAttribute("data-code");dive=factors[i].childNodes;dive = dive[0].childNodes;dive = dive[0].childNodes;if(dive[1]!==undefined){if (!dive[1].textContent.startsWith("Code:")){dive[1].textContent="Code: " + reasoncode + " - " + dive[1].textContent;console.log(dive[1].textContent);}}}

If you aren't familiar with bookmarklets, create a bookmark (to any page, it doesn't matter), then Edit the bookmark name to be "Extended Reason Codes", and the URL to be the full text string above (all one line). Then go to the page you want to see codes on, and tap the bookmark. Unlike the extensions, you'll need to tap the bookmark for each scoring page separately.

I'll add this to the second post as well.

Message 7 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is great, @iv !

The Master List of 134 reason statements starts here: ( Score Factors A-N )

I'd sure be interested to hear from anyone finding something not on that list!

(Earlier in that thread are the actual codes that match the reasons for the Classic 8s and the mortgage scores [5,4,2] )

Like iv said, there are some text variations across the 3 CRAs, for example EX uses 'Ratio' instead of 'Proportion' on the 8s. Having the code number makes it easy to look up in the Score Factor thread above. Just CTRL-F in the browser and type in the number and you'll go right to it.

Message 8 of 85
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is great, @iv !

Thanks! I hope it ends up being useful.

@Anonymous wrote:

The Master List of 134 reason statements starts here: ( Score Factors A-N )

Yup! Note that the first column in this thread matches (or should match) the verbatim text from that list (via the list in FICO_Score_Reason_codes_1424PS.pdf), and the Code: ## in the second column should also match.

The text (where present) in the second column is what the myFICO CMS is providing as "friendly" text for that numbered reason code.

I've only included the codes that I believe to be used in Classic 2/3/4/5/8/9 and Auto/Bankcard 2/4/5/8/9 - that's only 42 unique numbers, with a few that have differing meanings between CRAs.

I didn't include any of the NextGen-only reasons (the ones with only an A0-style code, and no matching ##-style code) , and I also excluded ones that were CoreLogic/"Mortgage Option"-only (not to be confused with the Classic 5/4/2 actually used for mortgages). That means I left out the entire 53-96 range, as I'm fairly certain that none of the score models available here will ever generate those codes.

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd sure be interested to hear from anyone finding something not on that list!

I'll actually be shocked if anyone even sees anything beyond the core 42 numbers listed above.

But here's a fun, probably completely meaningless set of additional codes:

Code: 502 - You have no missed payments on your credit accounts.
Code: 508 - You're not actively looking for credit.
Code: 510 - You've limited the use of your available revolving credit.
Code: 512 - You have an established revolving and/or open-ended account credit history.
Code: 514 - You have an established credit history.
Code: 515 - You've shown recent use of credit cards and/or bank-issued open-ended accounts.
Code: 516 - You've shown recent use of revolving and/or open-ended accounts.
Code: 519 - You have a sufficient number of accounts that are currently paid as agreed.
Code: 533 - Your balances on mortgage and/or non-mortgage installment loans are relatively low or substantially paid off.
Code: 540 - You have no public records or collections on your credit report.

...yup, the "Positive Factors" have their own range of numbers associated with them, at least in the myFICO interface.

Wait... hold on a minute. Those positive factors DO have meaning!

They are just the inverse of the negative codes, with a +500 to differentiate them! Each one matches up. Neat!

Anyway, hopefully, we can fill in the other variations as used my myFICO - if you have the myFICO text matching any of the reason codes listed above that only have a Code: number in the right-hand column, please share!

Message 9 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

It kind of makes me a little upset that I've been paying $39.95 a month for the past 2½ years and it took all of this just to get a matching set of reason statements.

A few modifications to their Angular code could have made it all so perfect, with additional ordering numbers on the 'Compare' part of the report to make those TU/EX reasons match their correct order on the Scores tab.

As a Lead Developer I know all about SMOP and why people are reluctant to go back into a codebase, but this would be such a wonderful improvement! Either way, I'll continue to pay for the best source of credit scores on the planet - just wish they would consider it.

Message 10 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.