Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

‘ Short Revolving History ‘ / ‘ Long Credit History ‘

tag
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

‘ Short Revolving History ‘ / ‘ Long Credit History ‘

An account that was opened in 2003 and closed in 2011 fell off this week. 
Prior to this, for ' Understanding Your Score ', the 4th item on ' Hurting ' was ' Recent Public Record or Collection ( 1 year 7 months ).   On the ' Helping ', the first of two items was ' Established Credit History ' ( Oldest was 17 years and 10 months and AAoA was 7 years 3 months ).  

Now that the account fell off, the 4th item on ' Hurting ' was replaced with ' Not established credit history ' and 'my first account was opened 13 years and 2 months ago'.   On helping, the first item is still established credit history with the oldest account at 13 years and 2 months and AAofA at 6 years 8 months. 

- Should the credit history on the negative side " replaced" the collection - it would seem like a collection is worse. 

- Is it odd to have the credit history factor into both sides ?
- I would think my account age is still good ?

FWIW, I did see a drop in scores this week but I'm not sure if it was do to the above, or if due to my going up  ( I forgot to zero out one card ). 

Message 1 of 79
78 REPLIES 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ‘ Short Revolving History ‘ / ‘ Long Credit History ‘

Positive/helping statements do not directly impact Fico score.  Those are just fluff, where the negative reason statements are what matter.  All of those are adversely impacting your Fico scores and are listed in order of importance (top one hurting score the most). 

I would say a collection is definitely worse than an age of accounts related drop.  What are your other negative reason statements starting at the top of the list?  I would think if you have a collection listed, bad payment history would be your most impactful negative factor.  If that's the case, the collection could sort of just be a fluff/filler statement if you've already got other major payment history items present.  With diminishing returns on multiple negative items, having a related statement in slots 1 and 4 to me suggests that the one in the 4th position is somewhat of a filler.  Perhaps then that filler was replaced because your AAoA dropped across a threshold with that old account falling off.

Message 2 of 79
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

Prior to the drop off:

1: Serious delinquency and/or collection

2: One or more accounts showing missed payments or derogatory indicators

3: High credit usage. 
4: Recent public record and/or collection

When the account dropped off, the top 3 indicators stayed the same and the bottom was replaced with:

Short credit history. You have not established a long revolving / and-or opened ended credit history.  Your first revolving account was 13 years and 2 months. 

Message 3 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@800goal800 wrote:

Prior to the drop off:

1: Serious delinquency and/or collection

2: One or more accounts showing missed payments or derogatory indicators

3: High credit usage. 
4: Recent public record and/or collection

When the account dropped off, the top 3 indicators stayed the same and the bottom was replaced with:

Short credit history. You have not established a long revolving / and-or opened ended credit history.  Your first revolving account was 13 years and 2 months. 

Me and my SO have the same thing.

Turns out they list oldest account date, which you would not think is "too short", but it is really the open accounts that they are talking about, which is not reflected in that date.

SO had his first open revolver opened 1 year ago, yet they will say "oldest account opened 15 years ago" and "too short".

I have my oldest open revolver opened 1 year ago and I get "too short" along with "oldest account opened 18 years ago".

That is what I feel they reference. Even with my oldest closed revolvers still on 2 bureaus, I still get the same message.

And we both get the "long history" and "short history" for positive/negative reasons.

Message 4 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. This reason statement is triggered by one of two metrics: AoORA or AAoRA. 

Message 5 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

And you will get it until you have reached the highest threshold. So far we have found a 9 year average age of Revolving Account Threshold I believe.

Message 6 of 79
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous 

It would seem that my AAofRA dropped by five months - wouldn't a collection still have more weight than a reduction in average age and still be in the hurting column ?

Message 7 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@800goal800 wrote:

@Anonymous 

It would seem that my AAofRA dropped by five months - wouldn't a collection still have more weight than a reduction in average age and still be in the hurting column ?

@800goal800 The hurting column is the only one that matters. And we haven't really established what the awards are for average age of revolving accounts, much less on different scorecards, so it's hard to answer that.

In addition to that, just recently we've had some reports where based on the same pull, someone had reason codes in a different order in different places, which is a big deal because they're supposed to be listed in the order of precedence.

We also had some glitches last month. So I don't know if it's worth more or if possibly it's a glitch. But we do know there are some decent awards for average age of revolving account. And an old collection is also worth less than a new one.

what did your average age of revolving accounts drop from and to? Forgive me if you've already answered it. 

Message 8 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@800goal800 as a matter of fact, can you give us a screenshot of that code because at first it sounds like the average age code, but then when you gave the details it sounds like the average age Revolving account Codes.  Or the exact text to the code please?

Message 9 of 79
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous 

Before card dropped off :933124E4-1128-471E-900A-D52740B27995.png

After:B4660B5C-33CE-4F76-8E37-A171E418A416.png

Message 10 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.