Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thin File -> Thick File

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thin File -> Thick File

Hello!!

I have been reading the MyFico forum for a few years now, and have gained a ton of knowledge about how the FICO scoring model works.  However, with a federal student loan ($606) and two CC (Discover 2.2k, US Bank Platinum 300$), I believe I have a thin file.  

In two years I will graduate college and begin using my credit for a car loan and possibly even a mortgage, so I have some time to thicken my file up while getting rewards from some new cards.  I was eyeing the AMEX Everyday card and Citi Double Cash, but I don't want to ruin my AAoA.  Currently at 2 years 7 months average for my oldest account, most recent card is from Janurary '17.

Would I be safe to apply for these two cards? Or would my ruined account age drop my scores?

Discover FICO: 766

TU: 762

0 inquiries in the past 12 months, 2 in the past 24.  3% utilization, 12.5k income as a student.

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thin File -> Thick File

I think you're fine to app for those 2 cards.

In 2 years assuming you don't open any other accounts you'll be at a solid AoYA (2 years) and your AAoA and AoOA will be in a respectable place as well.

When you say your TU score is 762, I'm assuming you're getting that from your Discover account, and the "Discover FICO" is your EX score from creditscorecard provided by Discover?

Message 2 of 17
arkane
Established Contributor

Well if you do the math, opening a new card now will drop your AAoA to 1 year 11 months and reset your AoYA to 0 months, so you'll get a double ding there, in addition to the ding from a credit inquiry. But one month later your AAoA will have crossed back over past the 2 year threshold so you should recover some lost points. 

If you open up two cards though, your AAoA will drop to 1 year 6 months, so it'll take longer for your score to recover. But since you don't have any major applications on the horizon for the next two years, I'd say go for it, although I'd rethink your particular combination since the Double Cash makes the Amex ED somewhat redundant (unless you're just chasing the sign up bonus). 

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 3 of 17
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello!!

I have been reading the MyFico forum for a few years now, and have gained a ton of knowledge about how the FICO scoring model works.  However, with a federal student loan ($606) and two CC (Discover 2.2k, US Bank Platinum 300$), I believe I have a thin file.  

In two years I will graduate college and begin using my credit for a car loan and possibly even a mortgage, so I have some time to thicken my file up while getting rewards from some new cards.  I was eyeing the AMEX Everyday card and Citi Double Cash, but I don't want to ruin my AAoA.  Currently at 2 years 7 months average for my oldest account, most recent card is from Janurary '17.

Would I be safe to apply for these two cards? Or would my ruined account age drop my scores?

Discover FICO: 766

TU: 762

0 inquiries in the past 12 months, 2 in the past 24.  3% utilization, 12.5k income as a student.

Your AAoA isn't static. It will bounce back and be stronger than what it is now. 

There's only one way to build a thicker file. 

Add them now, you'll be good to go two years from now. Amex is thin file friendly. Not sure about Citi though. 

Message 4 of 17
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Yes, your file is thin. General rule is four or more accounts to be considered not thin.

Sure your score is likely to drop temporarily if you get a couple new CCs. So what. Within 12 months your score will be higher (assuming no delinquencies). If those are cards you like and plan to keep for a long time it's better to get them sooner rather than later - unless there is risk of denial due to lack of income. If income is a concern wait and get cards after college.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote: 

When you say your TU score is 762, I'm assuming you're getting that from your Discover account, and the "Discover FICO" is your EX score from creditscorecard provided by Discover?

@Anonymous The TU score comes from US Bank's system, and the Discover FICO says it is "based on transunion data".  I'm not entirely sure, however.

@arkane wrote:

If you open up two cards though, your AAoA will drop to 1 year 6 months, so it'll take longer for your score to recover. But since you don't have any major applications on the horizon for the next two years, I'd say go for it, although I'd rethink your particular combination since the Double Cash makes the Amex ED somewhat redundant (unless you're just chasing the sign up bonus). 

@arkane Do you have any suggestions for cards? I currently have a Visa and Discover so I figured I should add a Mastercard, and the AMEX has a decent bonus (15k points after 1k spend), but I especially like the 2% on groceries and ticketmaster early access.  My Disco does 2% on gas and restaurants so if I can replace that, I would.  I don't travel much, however.

It sounds like applying for two cards (5 total accounts) would be a safe bet.  Ultimately, I want to build a relationship with whomever I will get a car loan or mortgage through.  My PFI is a local credit union, but their credit card offers nothing in terms of rewards.  Maybe its worth it to get their card just to strengthen my relationship with them? 

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just keep in mind that any 2% CB on everything card like the Citi DC essentially makes the "2-1" on any "3-2-1" card useless, rendering it a "3" card for just that one category.  If that category is something you spend a significant amount of money on, the additional 1% (over using your 2% everything card) may be "worth it" to you. 

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: AMEX denied me because I had some collections (that are not mine) on my Experian report.  I have those removed and my Experian score is now a 721.  AMEX wouldn't approve me even after the recon call, so I think I'll wait 30 days.

I really like the AMEX for the 3% groceries, as its the last category I need to cover (groceries, gas, restaurants).  However, I have 1k in purchases coming up and those signup bonuses look good (Wells Fargo Cash Wise 1.5%, Citi Double Cash 2%, Capital One Quicksilver 1.5%) for my general spending card.  

I'm worried if I get a new card now, AMEX won't approve me anytime soon.  What do you all recommend?

Message 8 of 17
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Do some recon and apply for a card you can use long term but that has higher likelihood of approval. The Wells Fargo Cash Wise  no annual fee card might be a good option. Can't complain about $200 cash back on a $1000 spend. The card should have decent CLI potential.

Get the collections removed before applying for AMEX again. I doubt a single new card will hurt your chances with AMEX - it's the collections that hurt.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thomas_Thumb

Get the collections removed before applying for AMEX again.

It sounds like from Post 8 that the collections were removed, so perhaps his approval odds have now increased significantly.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.