Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion is garbage

tag
ando35
Frequent Contributor

Transunion is garbage

I have a 690 Equifax fico score and a 590 Transunion Vantage 3 score. I have no late payments, or any negatives on my history, just high utilization which I just paid off and am waiting for the CRA"s to update the change. I will be over 700 then. 

I am looking for an apartment and do not want asinine Transunion to affect me. How can they be so different? Do lenders know that they are getting an inaccurate credit picture when they use Transunion products?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Re: Transunion is garbage

@ando35 wrote:

I have a 690 Equifax fico score and a 590 Transunion Vantage 3 score. I have no late payments, or any negatives on my history, just high utilization which I just paid off and am waiting for the CRA"s to update the change. I will be over 700 then. 

I am looking for an apartment and do not want asinine Transunion to affect me. How can they be so different? Do lenders know that they are getting an inaccurate credit picture when they use Transunion products?

You are comparing apples to oranges.  You can not equate a Fico score to a Vantage score.     Find out what your TU and EX Fico scores are and then compare them to your EQ Fico.   You can get all three from the free trial at experian.com 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 2 of 23
calyx
Super Contributor

@ando35 wrote:

I've personally found Vantage scoring to be very volatile.    Are the apartments you're looking at even using the vantage score?   It might behoove you to use one of the free sites (creditscorecard.com and/or Experian.com) to see what your FICO8 scores are, which are more likely to be used.   You may also find out that your TU score really isn't all that different from the others.

You should also use something like annualcreditreport.com to pull all three credit reports to see what could be holding your score down.  A lot of the free (vantage) sites don't take closed accounts into consideration and FICO does.

For a low cost option you can do the $1 trial at experian to get all three FICO8s

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 23
ando35
Frequent Contributor

Right.

I just googled it and realized tthat vantage 3 is not a fico score, and that most lenders and landlords would never see it.

It is used a lot by "secondary" lenders in the mortgage industry. 

Message 4 of 23
ando35
Frequent Contributor

It was shown to me by cappital one on my credit card website. They probabaly offer it because it is free or cheap.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve found TU to be really accurate and responsive. Don’t give any weight to Vantage scores. I’ve never heard of any mortgage lender using it.
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP-I'm a banker and can say that Vantage is never, ever used in the secondary market mortgage industry. 

Message 7 of 23
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Vantage is the garbage product.   For me Experian is the PITA.   MY TU score is great with essentially the same data.

I have been on here for six years and on other credit sites and I have never, ever heard of a single lender that uses the Vantage score.   These days it's either FICO 8 or FICO 9 that's being used for credit cards and car loans.   (Older scores are uniformly used in mortgage lending.)

Vantage was created by the three credit reporting agencies and they give it away for free because they don't have to pay a fee to FICO (owners of this site.).  But getting a useless score for free is useless.

However, by all means use Credit Karma and many other sites to see the data in your credit report -- balances, late payments, etc.  Just ignore the credit score.   It's crap.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay...then lol
My scores are actually all almost the same. Its pretty correct for ours. But these are fico 8.
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ando35 wrote:

Your gripe isn't with TU, it's with the VS 3.0 scoring model.  As others have already stated, it's widely irrelevant, so don't sweat it.  You said you have a 690 EQ FICO score.  Do you know which scoring model?  If you were to look at your TU FICO score from the same scoring model, assuming your TU and EQ reports are the same or very similar, you'd see a very similar TU FICO score to your 690 EQ score. 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.