cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update...MyFico says I need a nonmortgage installment loan for best score.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update...MyFico says I need a nonmortgage installment loan for best score.

All three reports clean as of this morning.  Last baddie fell off Equifax.

Only thing that's weird is most of my Equifax scores are 30-40 points lower than TU and EX.  The reason according to myfico is do not have any nonmortgage installment loans.  I actually have two mortgages.   One 14 yes old and one 9.

Anyone have any in site as to what's up with that.  I always thought a mortgage would serve any requirements for an installment loan when it comes to scoring.

PS.  Doesn't seem to be affecting filo 9 score tho.  It's in line with the other two.

27 REPLIES 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: MyFico says I need a nonmortgage installment loan for best score.

Congrats on getting past the baddies. 

Has any statement updated since the EQ change? The removal of a baddie would seem to be a non-alert event, meaning no score trigger yet? 

As as far as I know Mortgage is not the same as non-mortgage Installment loan. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually pulled a new report this morning to get the updates.
Message 3 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Where are you seeing this?

Not saying my data is perfect but I can't find any difference between mortgage and non-mortgage and at least none of the data I've seen from others (may have missed something) has referenced that either.

Mind posting a screenshot?

        
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree totally. What I've always read is a mortgage counts. I'll post a screens hot when I can get on the computer.

But it's in the part that tells you what's helping and what's hurting my scores. On TU and EX there is nothing listed on the hurting side but EQ has it listed there.

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Also can you clarify whether this is from the myFICO mobile app -- or are you seeing it when you log in to the website with your desktop or laptop computer?  So people have seen some crazy stuff come out on the myFICO mobile app.

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Also can you clarify whether this is from the myFICO mobile app -- or are you seeing it when you log in to the website with your desktop or laptop computer?  So people have seen some crazy stuff come out on the myFICO mobile app.

Sorry guys,  haven't been near the computer all day.  It shows that way both on Desktop and mobile devices.

Something I just thought about and could possibly be affecting this in some way.  My ex filed BK back in 2014 and by doing so the reporting of both mortgages stopped reporting and I had to contact the mortgage company to get them to report again.  I may call them Monday because they haven't updated the balances in several months as far as I can tell.  

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RevelateNot saying my data is perfect but I can't find any difference between mortgage and non-mortgage and at least none of the data I've seen from others (may have missed something) has referenced that either.

Rev, I started a thread about this a week ago or so, providing evidence that indeed a difference exists between a mortgage and non-mortgage when talking FICO scoring.  I had both an auto loan and mortgage open on my CR a few weeks back.  The auto loan reported closed and all of my FICO 8 scores dropped (9, 5 and 3 points, I believe).  Overall installment loan utilization barely changed; 3% or so, with my mortgage utilization sitting in the mid 70's both before and after the auto loan reported closed.

Actually, here's a link to that thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Paid-off-loan-w-mortgage-still-open-score...

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like you may have attempted to post a screenashot, but whatever image you may have posted did npt come through on my end.

Can you tell us the exact wording of the negative reason statement?  (As it appears on your desktop version of MF, not the mobile app.)

As regards the mortgage that has not reported in a long time, can you tell us the Date Last Reported as it appears on your credit reports?  (From a few months ago.)  DLR should be one of the fields.  Also, was the account listed as an open account?  When did you call the lender about the fact that the loan appeared not to be reporting?

Do you have copies of your reports strecthing back a while?  How far back?

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

It looks like you may have attempted to post a screenashot, but whatever image you may have posted did npt come through on my end.

Can you tell us the exact wording of the negative reason statement?  (As it appears on your desktop version of MF, not the mobile app.)

As regards the mortgage that has not reported in a long time, can you tell us the Date Last Reported as it appears on your credit reports?  (From a few months ago.)  DLR should be one of the fields.  Also, was the account listed as an open account?  When did you call the lender about the fact that the loan appeared not to be reporting?

Do you have copies of your reports strecthing back a while?  How far back?

Straight from desktop on EQ

"  You have no recent activity from a non-mortgage installment loan "

According to CCT the last time my mortgages were updated was 09/15/2017.   They do both still show as open.  

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.