cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well explain the 16 pt drop after going from 8% to 7%? And other factors?

tag
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

Well explain the 16 pt drop after going from 8% to 7%? And other factors?

On Aug 25 I had a 772 with EX Overall 8% Credit usage and only negative factor was short account history and the following accounts with balances:

BANK OF AMERICA $0 Balance updated Aug 19, 2020 Exceptional payment history
BARCLAYS BANK DELAWARE $1,180 Balance updated Aug 16, 2020 Exceptional payment history
CAPITAL ONE BANK USA  $0 Balance updated Aug 03, 2020 Exceptional payment history
CITIZENS BANK $993 Balance updated Aug 14, 2020 Exceptional payment history
DISCOVER FIN SVCS LLC (AU) $67 Balance updated Jul 24, 2020 Exceptional payment history
DISCOVER FIN SVCS LLC $0 Balance updated Jul 03, 2020 Exceptional payment history
JPMCB CARD(AU)  $0 Balance updated Aug 23, 2020 Exceptional payment history

US BANK $1,110 Balance updated Jul 31, 2020 Exceptional payment history
WF CRD SVC $1,400 Balance updated Aug 18, 2020 Exceptional payment history

Sofi Personal $2,340 

nce updated Jul 31, 2020 Exceptional payment history

On Aug 26 I have a 756 with EX Overall 7% Credit usage and now negative factors are short account history, high credit usage and the following accounts with balances:

BANK OF AMERICA $0 Balance updated Aug 19, 2020 Exceptional payment history
BARCLAYS BANK DELAWARE $1,180 Balance updated Aug 16, 2020 Exceptional payment history
CAPITAL ONE BANK USA N $0 Balance updated Aug 03, 2020 Exceptional payment history
CITIZENS BANK $993 Balance updated Aug 14, 2020 Exceptional payment history
DISCOVER FIN SVCS LLC (AU)  $0 Balance updated Aug 24, 2020 Exceptional payment history (Balances not reported on card this month)
DISCOVER FIN SVCS LLC $0 Balance updated Aug 24, 2020 Exceptional payment history
JPMCB CARD (AU) $0 Balance updated Aug 23, 2020 Exceptional payment history
US BANK $1,110 Balance updated Jul 31, 2020 Exceptional payment history
WF CRD SVC $1,400 Balance updated Aug 18, 2020 Exceptional payment history

Sofi Personal loan 
SOFI $2,340 Balance updated Jul 31, 2020 Exceptional payment history

The only change I see is that AU Discover card did not post a $67 balance this month due to a dispute on the card, **bleep**? 

31 REPLIES 31
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Re: Well explain the 16 pt drop after going from 8% to 7%? And other factors?

Looks like you got hit with the AU all-zero penalty. It's absurd, but also easy to recover from. @Anonymous has posted about it a lot.

Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is an AU all zero penalty?

I've heard of an all zero penalty, but with at least 3-4 accounts with reported balances that definitely isn't what's going on with the OP.

Message 3 of 32
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Here's how Birdman explained it in post 3 of the FICO 8 Primer thread:

"C. All Zero Penalty- (AU Test included)

When all revolvers report $0 balance, there is a scoring penalty of ~10-25 points. If one has AU cards (that are not discounted by the anti-abuse algorithm) and they all report $0 balances, the penalty will also occur, indepedently."

There's further discussion of it later in that thread.

Message 4 of 32
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Here's how Birdman explained it in post 3 of the FICO 8 Primer thread:

"C. All Zero Penalty- (AU Test included)

When all revolvers report $0 balance, there is a scoring penalty of ~10-25 points. If one has AU cards (that are not discounted by the anti-abuse algorithm) and they all report $0 balances, the penalty will also occur, indepedently."

There's further discussion of it later in that thread.

Well than add another AU tested All 3 AU cards that I am are reporting $0 balance by a dispute on one of the cards (usually shows 1 card with a balance), I didnt think this would affect me as the account holder also has a PLOC ( that I am not on) also reporting $0. Very intresting the reach of All Zero Penalty 

Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What is an AU all zero penalty?

I've heard of an all zero penalty, but with at least 3-4 accounts with reported balances that definitely isn't what's going on with the OP.

There seems to be a separate AZ penalty for AU cards.

I collected a bunch of links to posts where this was reported: Evidence/References for "AU cards at Zero = Separate Penalty" 

They generally go like this:

July 2019: Re: A better understanding of AZEO ?
"There's a fairly odd thing that I and a few other people here have observed with FICO 8 and AU accounts - there appears to be a minor negative effect in some cases if all AU accounts on the report are at $0.
It's as though primary accounts and AU accounts are tracked in two separate groups, with a no-usage (all-zero) penalty applied to each separately." - IV

Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

A "minor" negative effect to me would suggest that the penalty is less than that of the AZ penalty associated with [non-AU] revolvers.  If the OP lost 17 points from an AU AZ penalty, that's more or less in line with the penalty associated with AZ on revolvers.

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

A "minor" negative effect to me would suggest that the penalty is less than that of the AZ penalty associated with [non-AU] revolvers.  If the OP lost 17 points from an AU AZ penalty, that's more or less in line with the penalty associated with AZ on revolvers.

That's one single report - 'minor' isn't typical.

The range found so far is about -6 to -25. That's why I collected them all into one post there.

Here's a few more. These posts also contain reports from others, like -25 under the -16pt drop post:

August 2019: My score dropped 14 points and I can't figure out why! 
"The only change on my report was an account that I am an AU on was paid down to $0 from a 6 percent utilization. Is it possible that dropped my score, it is the only thing that changed on my report." - Egaffne2

November 2019: Re: 16pt drop on TU when AU CC was paid down to zero, DPs provided
"I've noticed this, too. I have one AU (CAP1 that's not listed in my sig) and whenever it posts a zero balance (and I have balances on my own cards, it doesn't matter whether it's AZEO or more than one) I lose ~15 pts. I think as soon as the AU posts a zero balance, it's almost like the entire AU card is being completely excluded. As soon as I report a balance on the AU card, the points I lost are returned. - Drwaz99

Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like AU AZ vs non AU AZ is more or less equal then.

What are the negative reason codes associated with AU AZ?

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are equal typically, as far as I’ve seen. I have not seen a separate or different negative reason code.
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.