Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who do i trust?

tag
JENEA
Valued Member

Who do i trust?

I just got alerts that my Equifax score went up. I checked MyFico and i checked my Equifax account because both sent me an alert today for the same reason. I paid down my credit card. The fico score from the Equifax site is 653. The score from MyFico is 579. Why would this be?

They only thing i can think is that Equifax is using a newer report. Myfico still says i have a collection account showing for equifax but the actual equifax site says i do not.
6 REPLIES 6
JENEA
Valued Member

Re: Who do i trust?

The Equifax score from the actual equifax site is FICO score. Just thought id add that.
Message 2 of 7
grower1
Frequent Contributor

How do you know that the score provided by Equifax is a Fico Score? I looked at the credit score packages that they offer and I don't see Fico listed in any of the verbiage.

I see the following disclaimer:  "The Equifax® Credit Score and 3-Bureau credit scores are based on the Equifax Credit Score model. Third parties use many different types of credit scores and will not use the Equifax Credit Score or 3-Bureau credit scores to assess your creditworthiness."

This may be helpful:

https://help.equifax.com/s/article/What-is-the-difference-between-the-Equifax-Credit-Score-and-the-F...

Message 3 of 7
JENEA
Valued Member

I paid for the original subscription and after that i saw an option to get the fico score for 10 dollars so today i checked it. It says fico score specifically. Once i saw the difference in scores it was the first thing i went back and double checked.
Message 4 of 7
grower1
Frequent Contributor

Interesting, if both scores are indeed Fico I'm not sure what could be causing the discrepancy. I rely on MyFico for my scores, but I can see Ficos reported on a few of my cards. I always look for the registered trademark symbol if I'm unsure - FICO®

I do see a page on Equifax that mentions Fico score 5 model, so it could be the case that you are comparing a Fico Score 5 model on Equifax and a Fico Score 8 model on MyFico. It's in the fine print at the bottom of this screenshot. There are many differnent Fico versions for Equifax, TransUnion and Experian.  You can try comparing your Equifax Fico with your Equifax Fico 5 here in Myfico to see if they match.

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 3.12.24 PM.png 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JENEA wrote:
I paid for the original subscription and after that i saw an option to get the fico score for 10 dollars so today i checked it. It says fico score specifically. Once i saw the difference in scores it was the first thing i went back and double checked.

If I were you I would scrap all services that charge anything more than $1 for your FICO scores.  You can get all three FICO 8 scores from the $1 trial offer at Credit Check Total.  And the trial offer can be repeated every month.

There are also places you can go to get your FICO scores for free -- not even a $1 charge.

Message 6 of 7
JENEA
Valued Member

Thankyou. The FICO trademark is there. I will do as you suggested and see what my score on here for that version looks like.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.