cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Citi Double Cash FICO Equifax Model 8 Score 120 points lower than myFICO Equifax Model 8 Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wrong Citi Double Cash FICO Equifax Model 8 Score 120 points lower than myFICO Equifax Model 8 Score

When I retrieve my Citi Double Cash score it is about almost 120 points lower than the same models score from myFICO.  I am looking at the myFICO Equifax Bankcard Model 8 score and comparing it against the score Citi gives you.  According to https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Products/FICO-Score it uses: 

Your FICO® Score is calculated based on data from Equifax using the FICO® Bankcard Score 8 model and is the same score we use, among other information, to manage your account.  This model has a FICO® Score range from 250 through 900.

Tried calling them and they basically said too bad contact Equifax or FICO.  Anyone else have this issue?  Could they be pulling the wrong persons' score?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Wrong Citi Double Cash FICO Equifax Model 8 Score 120 points lower than myFICO Equifax Model 8 S

Welcome to the forums!  120 points seems like quite a difference!  Pulling scores on different dates can certainly be at play, but unless there have been a lot of very recent negative factors, something is certainly off.  Citi's score is certainly the EQ 08 Bankcard score; mine are usually within 10-25 points of my regular EQ 08 score.  Are you a Jr. or Sr. or otherwise have a similar name as someone they could be confusing you with?  Does the Double Cash appear on your own credit reports?

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wrong Citi Double Cash FICO Equifax Model 8 Score 120 points lower than myFICO Equifax Model 8 S

Thank you for the welcome.  I checked back across the last 12 months and it is consistently at least 95 points or more off.  This month happened to be the highest difference at 120 points.  I am not a Jr., but have a similar name to my father (only the middle name is different).  I thought they would have used the SSN to request.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

A score variance of 120 points when talking the same scoring model and same bureau data can only mean that the data being "seen" in both cases is different.  You'd really need to pull a copy of your CR, but I don't believe that can be done through Citi, so it's sort of impossible to know what their pull is/isn't seeing that's different from MF.

Message 4 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A score variance of 120 points when talking the same scoring model and same bureau data can only mean that the data being "seen" in both cases is different.  You'd really need to pull a copy of your CR, but I don't believe that can be done through Citi, so it's sort of impossible to know what their pull is/isn't seeing that's different from MF.

The one on MyFICO and the one on Citicard's site are identical, so there must be a mistake being made by one of them.

Total revolving limits 587500 (521k reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 721

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

All the scores from MyFICO line up with my other score levels across the various models and bureaus, Citi is the only place where my scores are below 750.  The only thing I can think of is to go to a citi branch and try and speak to someone in person, but I'm not confident they can resolve anything.  On the phone no one seems to even know the fundamental basics of this and read the same script, including "account managers".

Message 6 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

From everything you have said, I believe it’s certain that they are pulling the wrong file for credit scoring (and likely account management) for you for some reason. Does this card appear on your credit reports? Going into a branch and speaking with a manager maybe they can pull your account up to verify that the correct social security number is assigned to the account?
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke to a manager at a citibank, but had no progress made.  He did not even know there were different models for FICO scores.  When calling the employees only line from citibank they gave the same lines they gave me about how there is nothing they can do.  I did verify that my Citi card account does appear correctly on all by bureau's credit reports.  There are a couple of things I was still going to try.

1. Request a name change (to include my full middle name)  

Maybe that will trigger a proper pull of the score?

2. File a complaint through CFPB

You can include both Equifax and Citi on their form (and they are legally required to respond), but I assume I will just get a stock response with this.

3. Try and complain on twitter

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried contacting Citi's Executive Office?

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure, do you need a code for that?  I thought that was what the manager at the branch I visited called (he had to give a code) with no luck.  I also just recently found a number online with a 605 area code and called that and got someone much nicer than usual and they said they would look into it and get back to me by Oct. 17th, after getting my info, but I wasn't holding out  much hope for that.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.