cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i really remove a late payment without help

tag
tooscope2

can i really remove a late payment without help

Hi all, I am trying to get a 60 day late removed from a Capital One account. I have had no lates in my 22 months with them and also no lates on my report since 2003. I made double payments last month and the account has been current since day 61 of the 60 day late period but they still reported it. It is crushing my score and I need a mortgage. I have tried the telephone and wrote them a letter asking for a one time removal based on good history and explained that I was away for a job for 6 weeks during that time. No real response yet, they are putting me off so far. Do I have any hope, any suggestions? thanks
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: can i really remove a late payment without help

tooscope2 wrote:
Hi all, I am trying to get a 60 day late removed from a Capital One account. I have had no lates in my 22 months with them and also no lates on my report since 2003. I made double payments last month and the account has been current since day 61 of the 60 day late period but they still reported it. It is crushing my score and I need a mortgage. I have tried the telephone and wrote them a letter asking for a one time removal based on good history and explained that I was away for a job for 6 weeks during that time. No real response yet, they are putting me off so far. Do I have any hope, any suggestions? thanks

They may be willing to do a goodwill for you.  I just see in my experience that C1 is in the business of keeping you credit profile as low as possible.  That keeps their portfolio theirs alone and prevent you from seeking other credit or at least attempting to

Message 2 of 17
tooscope2

Thanks for your help brammy. Would it work to play a little hardball with them.  I will be able to pay off their card in the next month or two and close the account.  Should I play the remove it and i will stay a loyal customer or threaten to close.  They have no proof i can really pay it off but I can and will.

What do you think?
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

tooscope2 wrote:
Thanks for your help brammy. Would it work to play a little hardball with them.  I will be able to pay off their card in the next month or two and close the account.  Should I play the remove it and i will stay a loyal customer or threaten to close.  They have no proof i can really pay it off but I can and will.

What do you think?

Don't play that game until you're at 0 blance.  Then sweetly call and request to close your card.  The relationship manage will ask how they can help you or what you don't like.  Tell them you LOVE the card and really hate to lose it but after requeting a 60 day good will and being turned down you really feel you have no other choice.  Its all a matter of trust and all thatSmiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 17
tooscope2

I like it but wish I could get that 60 day removed too since the double effect of paying 90% of the balance and that being removed may help me a lot.  By the way, it was within the last 3 months.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried in vain to get one 30 day late off my husband's car loan from Capitol One and no matter what I did, even proof from the bank that it was Capitol One's fault they refused. Best advice- do not use that company for anything. We paid off the car loan and will not ever do business with them again.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes, the people at the credit card companies that you deal with are not in a position to do anything, and even then, they are in a position to feel their "empowerment" and have no idea what they are doing. Once, I called to dispute a $2.22 charge on my account. It was for interest that I felt they didn't deserve. I cannot remember exactly why, but it had something to do with the way they posted my payment and charged me for that day's interest.

I had that account for 15 years. It was a MasterCard. I spoke with an "account manager". What a joke!

She refused to do anything, even as I threatened to close the account. She could have cared less, and I did, indeed close the account, right then and there.

I have a friend who was a marketing executive for American Express Gold. She told me that their acquisition cost per client for new accounts was about $100.00. But, for $2.22, the account "manager", for MasterCard let me go. I wriote to the corporate office, just to let them know.

Sometimes things just don't make sense, and trying to talk sense to a person who thinks they are in control is very hard to do.

Message Edited by FreeRateSearch on 04-17-2007 06:58 AM
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a similar issue with Chase only they didn't report a (single) late payment they just put up my interest rate to 29.99%.  I tried being nice, nasty, threatening to close the account nothing worked. So I paid it off with a vengence.. and will never use Chase again.

Now they raised my limit to $16K, I get cash advance checks about every 2 weeks through the post but they still won't reduce the loan shark rate.. laughable really!Smiley Very Happy

The best option is to pay it off as quickly as you can, or at least transfer it to a 0% card (FYI Bank of America seem pretty liberal with their cards) and pay that down as quickly as possible. 

There is nothing in it for them to change your credit report so you're probably wasting your time - in fact I'm not sure even if they legally can unless you can prove that they did it wrong to begin with.  Your best bet is to take it up with experian et al.  And yes, sorry but YOU will have to prove it was wrong and take it up with the credit reporting companies.  Not fair I know!!!

Good luck.
Message 8 of 17
mycredit07

You can have them remove it! You have to go at it smartly and theoretically. First always dispute thru the Credit Reporting Agencies. Make sure you use a paper trail and most importantly, send the letters certified. Always try the CRAs first with a dispute, never the creditor unless last resort. It might take 2-4 months until you get what you want, but stick with it. I removed 8 late payments and 11 derogatory notations on my credit reports in 3 and 1/2 months. Score went form a 542 to a 714 in that 3 and 1/2 month period. Just have to stick with it even if they verify it the first time around. Hope this helps!
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a 30 day late on Discover Card and disputed it by myself directly with Discover with a letter and they sent me a letter back saying they removed the late.  This really was late, and I did not try to send any proof that it was never late.

It is now reporting on my credit report as paid never late.  I have a copy of the dispute letter if you would like to use it.  It says something in it about trying to get a mortgage and that the derogatory is keeping you from getting it. 

Karen
Loan Officer in UT

Message Edited by karenkkj on 04-17-2007 09:43 AM
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.