Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold approved...

tag
schlue
Established Member

Amex Gold approved...

I have been following all of the Amex posts for the last several months and enjoying all of the success stories. And dreaming. Of my own American Express card. With my less than 1 year of credit history. Oh, I mustn't forget my Capital One Classic Platinum MasterCard and it's $300 limit - my only card. That and a car installment loan. About 2 months ago I went to the Amex offers site and saw that, after many times seeing that they had no offers for me, I was pre-selected for Zync, Green, and Gold. It felt good to see that but I tempered this feeling with the cold logic that I just didn't have what it took to get one of those. Maybe in several months I might just try for a Zync but I just didn't think my "portfolio" would pass the Amex test. 3 weeks ago I get a pre-screened offer for the Green card. Read all I could about pre-screened offers and still didn't feel it happening. 2 weeks ago I get the same offer for a Gold card. Hmmm, maybe there's something to this? Nah, I'll just wait another couple months. Today, I come home and the wife tells me nothing but junk mail came but in that pile of junk is another pre-screened offer from Amex for the Gold card, this time stating the $125 fee was waived and I could get 15,000 MR points. Well, that was enough for me. I went online and tried to apply with the RSVP code and it wouldn't take. Eventually I got locked out of the app system! Not a good omen, but WTH I'll just call and apply. After all, when they deny me I'll get my EX score. Well denial wasn't in the cards today - I was instantly approved! Some junk mail!! Dealt with the nicest CSR I've ever had. Everything was positive. Now I'm no expert, but with my short credit history and a $300 total credit line I'm thinking that pre-screened must mean something. Sorry for the ramble but it sure is nice to be welcomed into the Amex family!

TU FICO (9/22/13) = 682 EQ FICO (9/22/13) = 667 EX FICO (9/22/13) =731
Capital 1 Classic Platinum - $500 // American Express Gold Card / /American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $2000 // Chase Freedom - $3600
Discover More - $4200 // GE/Sleepy's - $3000

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cleanitup
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Gold approved...

Welcome to the forum, and CONGRATS on Amex  

Message 2 of 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@schlue wrote:

I have been following all of the Amex posts for the last several months and enjoying all of the success stories. And dreaming. Of my own American Express card. With my less than 1 year of credit history. Oh, I mustn't forget my Capital One Classic Platinum MasterCard and it's $300 limit - my only card. That and a car installment loan. About 2 months ago I went to the Amex offers site and saw that, after many times seeing that they had no offers for me, I was pre-selected for Zync, Green, and Gold. It felt good to see that but I tempered this feeling with the cold logic that I just didn't have what it took to get one of those. Maybe in several months I might just try for a Zync but I just didn't think my "portfolio" would pass the Amex test. 3 weeks ago I get a pre-screened offer for the Green card. Read all I could about pre-screened offers and still didn't feel it happening. 2 weeks ago I get the same offer for a Gold card. Hmmm, maybe there's something to this? Nah, I'll just wait another couple months. Today, I come home and the wife tells me nothing but junk mail came but in that pile of junk is another pre-screened offer from Amex for the Gold card, this time stating the $125 fee was waived and I could get 15,000 MR points. Well, that was enough for me. I went online and tried to apply with the RSVP code and it wouldn't take. Eventually I got locked out of the app system! Not a good omen, but WTH I'll just call and apply. After all, when they deny me I'll get my EX score. Well denial wasn't in the cards today - I was instantly approved! Some junk mail!! Dealt with the nicest CSR I've ever had. Everything was positive. Now I'm no expert, but with my short credit history and a $300 total credit line I'm thinking that pre-screened must mean something. Sorry for the ramble but it sure is nice to be welcomed into the Amex family!

Welcome to the forums!!!

CONGRATS ON YOUR AMEX!!! Welcome to the family!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 5
adavis425
Established Contributor

Congrats!! Feels awesome doesn't it? Smiley Very Happy

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval!  I'm not too surprised though, I was approved for an Amex Gold with 8 months history and only 2 other cards with $500 limits back in 2010.  Similarly, I had received pre-screened offers in the mail, but thought I wouldn't be approved.  I went online later though and found the offers online, decided to go for Gold and was approved.  Use it responsibly and Amex will treat you well.  My spending limit on it was over $10,000 while my other cards were stuck at $750.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.