Valued Member
jrcred

CC strategy

I brought this up in another thread, but wanted to make it it's own topic to see what people thought.

Here is my situation in a nutshell.....

Current EQ FICO - 647

My last collection is going to be removed, and I will soon have a Cap 1 secured reporting with < 10% utilization.  I also have  a FP card with 0 balance that has been reported for a few months.

The cards on my "wish list" at the moment are:

Amex Zync

Citi Forward

Chase Freedom

Another poster pointed out that Amex would not like the FP card open on my account.  I was hoping to replace it with one of the 3 I wanted to keep long term and close it as soon as I got one, but I'm starting to wonder if I may need another card to bridge the gap.  I'm assuming that if Amex doesn't want to see the FP card, then other prime lenders won't either.

Is there a card I can replace it with that would be doable with my credit profile before going after more prime cards?  I don't want to do another secured card if I can help it, I'm dumping $ into my Cap 1 to raise the credit limit already and don't want to have to do that for 2 cards.  (in the theory that having a higher limit on it will help get higher limits on later cards)

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Valued Member
jrcred

Re: CC strategy

Since I don't know how to edit my post, I'll add this.  I'm rehabbing student loans also and that will be done in 7 months if that makes a difference. 

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

Does this mean your credit report be clean of negatives in 7 months?    That is much more important than brand of CC, and having more than 1 card is good.

Increasing Capital One deposit is good idea, (it worked for me with next Cap1 card).

I suggest you apply for 1 or  2 cards in 7 months.

Amex Zync

Capital One unsecured card (what ever they prequalify you for)

If you have success with that, then close the FP and Capital One secured.  

Then Wait 6 moths or more and try for the others.

Valued Member
jrcred

I guess using an unsecured Capital One card would be a good idea to get rid of the Zync.  I'll have had the secured card with great history as well as an auto loan through them. (if that helps)  Maybe in 7 I can get a cap 1 unsecured, ditch the FP, then get the zync.  

I can always keep checking pre-auth pages online when I get scoring bumps along the way to see what I might pre-qualify for.

Moderator Emeritus
MarineVietVet

jrcred wrote:

Since I don't know how to edit my post, I'll add this.  I'm rehabbing student loans also and that will be done in 7 months if that makes a difference. 

To edit your post, go to the post. To the right you'll see "Options." Click on "Options" and select "Edit Message" from the drop-down menu. If you have accidentally posted a duplicate message, you can use the “Report Inappropriate Content to a Moderator” link to ask the moderation team to remove one for you. To find this link, go to the duplicate post, click on "Options," then select "Report Inappropriate Content to a Moderator" from the drop-down menu. 

Valued Member
jrcred

awesome, thanks.  If it was a snake it would have bit me!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+