cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can apartment rent in California be paid with credit card?

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: Can apartment rent in California be paid with credit card?

@steve23111 wrote:

@heytherehitherehothere wrote:

Bribro, what do you mean by the $35 fee not being worth paying by credit card?

I guess I just don't understand the correlation between a rewards redeeming card and a small fee with the payment of monthly rent.

Unless your rent is $3500/month or more, then most credit cards (with the typical 1% cash back or points value) won't make enough in rewards to offset the $35 fee.

Exactly. My rent is only $2,000/month so it doesn't make sense to pay the $35 fee when my cash back tops out at 1%. Too bad.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 11 of 39

I guess the thing I'm trying to say is, if I had the desire to only pay rent with a credit card, in the event I don't have funds in my checking account at any given moment, I wouldn't care about a $35 fee or however much, as long as I could pay with my credit card. That must sound stupid! And why, I cannot wait to see if I will be able to handle rent in those ranges. I'm in the midwest and I pay $635 for a 1 bedroom. How does anyone do it?!

Message 12 of 39
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

I guess the thing I'm trying to say is, if I had the desire to only pay rent with a credit card, in the event I don't have funds in my checking account at any given moment, I wouldn't care about a $35 fee or however much, as long as I could pay with my credit card. That must sound stupid! And why, I cannot wait to see if I will be able to handle rent in those ranges. I'm in the midwest and I pay $635 for a 1 bedroom. How does anyone do it?!

Understood.

Personally, I would appreciate it simply for the convenience factor if the fees weren't unreasonable.  I am of the understanding that my property manager will only accept rent payment in the form of money orders or cashier's checks, but having researched rent payment policies on the Internet that might have just been for the initial payment (actual rent payment, no deposit was required).  I am going to send her an e-mail and clarify, because simply being able to write a check each month instead of having to round up money orders would be much more convenient.

Here in Richmond, my partner and I split $705/month for a 1-bedroom which includes water and trash.  Light bill is usually around $75, TV and Internet another $100.  We have lots left over and could afford a much nicer place, but we're cozy here.  Around here, $705 is a deal.

Message 13 of 39

It's depressing to think about but I'm almost positive every single person on this forum contributing actually MAKES money. PUTS AWAY money. SAVES. I am more than almost positive that not a single poster on this forum is an actor or actress, which is what I am. I used to give a big "F YOU!" to all the money-makers, all the hoarders and keepers of the cash that deserve nothing. I'm sorry for ranting but in my city the jerks, lowlives, idiots, kiss butts, kids I went to school with, drunks, degenerates, insensitive, inhumane, unintelligent, unintellectual, faux sophistacated cretons that are making unnecessary noises and causing riots outside a bar I live by are the ones that get the money. They are the ones who are so pathetic they went to school and got a nice degree and settled into a nice career and the house and the car and the crap. They should be getting paid to act, because I see it everyday. I walk downtown and see the suits, the cars, the vanity, the sense of "praise me, look at me, idolize me, be mesmorized by the way I have it all figured out", and there they are right outside drinking until they forget they have a wife and three growing kids at home. They act everyday. In their offices, cubicles, Lambourghinis, walking to the deli, to the coffee shop, in falsivity. I loathe these human beings. The way the world is today is because no one can let go of anything. No one can pursue a passion. No one can understand what they're doing. No one can comprehend that what they do is wrong, but more so pointless.

Message 14 of 39
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Smiley Surprised

Message 15 of 39
bribro
Valued Contributor

It's depressing to think about but I'm almost positive every single person on this forum contributing actually MAKES money. PUTS AWAY money. SAVES. I am more than almost positive that not a single poster on this forum is an actor or actress, which is what I am. I used to give a big "F YOU!" to all the money-makers, all the hoarders and keepers of the cash that deserve nothing. I'm sorry for ranting but in my city the jerks, lowlives, idiots, kiss butts, kids I went to school with, drunks, degenerates, insensitive, inhumane, unintelligent, unintellectual, faux sophistacated cretons that are making unnecessary noises and causing riots outside a bar I live by are the ones that get the money. They are the ones who are so pathetic they went to school and got a nice degree and settled into a nice career and the house and the car and the crap. They should be getting paid to act, because I see it everyday. I walk downtown and see the suits, the cars, the vanity, the sense of "praise me, look at me, idolize me, be mesmorized by the way I have it all figured out", and there they are right outside drinking until they forget they have a wife and three growing kids at home. They act everyday. In their offices, cubicles, Lambourghinis, walking to the deli, to the coffee shop, in falsivity. I loathe these human beings. The way the world is today is because no one can let go of anything. No one can pursue a passion. No one can understand what they're doing. No one can comprehend that what they do is wrong, but more so pointless.

I am so confused. So you hate people that have jobs? ...

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 16 of 39

I hate people that waste their lives being occupied with jobs they hate, which in turn, makes them hate themselves. Their hatred/anger to themselves is what propels me to hate them. No one has to have a high paying job. I've never worked a job that I hated. I'm always thinking, "what's going to get me closer to my goal of becoming a working actor?". I avoid anything that could potentially drain my wants to inspire people through the theater and films. All that I see around me day after day is waste. People wasting away, trying to keep up, trying to survive. My whole perception of society changed after I was working for a local retail store and went out on break to have a cigarette. On my way out, there was a kid on the curb by the building with a guitar and a little dish for change or whatever someone wanted to give him. I went and talked to him, asking him where he'd come from, how he got around, what in the world he was doing, and he just blew me away with one solidified statement: I'm just doing something important, passing through." I played his beaten guitar and we talked and management from this company I worked for came out and told him he couldn't be there. He put his little dish away and said "I'm not loitering or soliciting, I'm just passing through." SOMEONE, some shopper who had gone in while we were out there talking and playing the guitar had reported him to management. I found it very wrong and I quit on the spot. Call me reckless and irresponsible, but what he had said struck something in me. I started seeing the sadness in peoples' faces. I started realizing that all that anyone can do is pass through LIFE, but most don't do it knowingly. They don't pass through to make the slightest impact on anyone or anything. But it sure is nice to have the house because I knocked up my girlfriend who I had to marry because I felt trapped into it and now the kids are asking for money so that means holding off buying that new car I was going to lease so I could drive fast and agitate pedestrians and other drivers that are in crappier cars just so I can feel the wind pummel me in the face and maybe get some air, some release from this suffocating feeling that I'm too influential around my peers to talk about. Anyway, no one will understand. No one ever does.

Message 17 of 39
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Anyway, no one will understand. No one ever does.

I'm just trying to figure out how we found ourselves on this topic.  Interesting viewpoints, and certainly worthy of discussion, but I'm having a bit of a hard time following...

Message 18 of 39
bribro
Valued Contributor

So you hate people you don't even know because you assume they hate their jobs/lives? Alrighty then.

Message 19 of 39
Link2k
Valued Member

I hate people that waste their lives being occupied with jobs they hate, which in turn, makes them hate themselves. Their hatred/anger to themselves is what propels me to hate them. No one has to have a high paying job. I've never worked a job that I hated. I'm always thinking, "what's going to get me closer to my goal of becoming a working actor?". I avoid anything that could potentially drain my wants to inspire people through the theater and films. All that I see around me day after day is waste. People wasting away, trying to keep up, trying to survive. My whole perception of society changed after I was working for a local retail store and went out on break to have a cigarette. On my way out, there was a kid on the curb by the building with a guitar and a little dish for change or whatever someone wanted to give him. I went and talked to him, asking him where he'd come from, how he got around, what in the world he was doing, and he just blew me away with one solidified statement: I'm just doing something important, passing through." I played his beaten guitar and we talked and management from this company I worked for came out and told him he couldn't be there. He put his little dish away and said "I'm not loitering or soliciting, I'm just passing through." SOMEONE, some shopper who had gone in while we were out there talking and playing the guitar had reported him to management. I found it very wrong and I quit on the spot. Call me reckless and irresponsible, but what he had said struck something in me. I started seeing the sadness in peoples' faces. I started realizing that all that anyone can do is pass through LIFE, but most don't do it knowingly. They don't pass through to make the slightest impact on anyone or anything. But it sure is nice to have the house because I knocked up my girlfriend who I had to marry because I felt trapped into it and now the kids are asking for money so that means holding off buying that new car I was going to lease so I could drive fast and agitate pedestrians and other drivers that are in crappier cars just so I can feel the wind pummel me in the face and maybe get some air, some release from this suffocating feeling that I'm too influential around my peers to talk about. Anyway, no one will understand. No one ever does.

I'd say this is a major oversimplification at best. Even based off of this oversimplification the people I know who would fit your characterization are often so enamored with themselves and ignorant about their surroundings they are often perfectly happy. Once they pause for reflection they may have a breakdown, mid life crisis, etc. but often times they never pause for reflection they are reactive and wait to make their next move constantly preparing for some unknown competition.

Either way its very off topic for this board.

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.