cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is US Bank with CLIs and APR reductions?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

How is US Bank with CLIs and APR reductions?

I was wondering if anyone knows how generous US Bank is, on potential CLIs and APR reductions?  For example, my US Bank Cash+ Platinum VISA arrived today in the mail, and while i am certainly very grateful and appreciative to be approved (was initially denied and had a successful recon), the account currently has a SL of $500 and an APR of 19.24% V.  I don't really mind so much about the APR tbh, only because I plan to PIF on it, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask if US Bank is open to APR reductions once a customer has been with them for an extended period of time, for instance?  Also while I don't mind the SL -- I had the exact same thing happen with a $500 SL originally with Barclay for my Ring card -- as I would rather be approved with a low SL than have my application denied, does anyone know when or how is the best way to get CLIs from US Bank, and do they do HP or SP?  Thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How is US Bank with CLIs and APR reductions?

Hi there.

US bank is generous with CLI. Every 6 months you can request a cli increase. Do not waste your time requesting one now. 1500 or less usually a soft pull. Anything more will require a hard pull. I would call and ask if your cli will be hard or soft regardless of amount requested.

Use the card heavily and request one at 6 months. Keep your new accounts and inquiries low throughout the time period.

Whatever your intial denial was that you successfully recon. Work on that for the next 6 months to a year.

I have no experience with APR reduction through US bank. You are in with a great bank. Congrats. A bank you most likely never have to worry about taking any AA on you.
Message 2 of 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

US Bank is like cap1, will only give you a temporary APR reduction
Message 3 of 7
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

No permanent APR reductions that I know of.

You're lucky to have the option of a Cash+ even without the $5k SL. Maybe one day they'll warm up to the idea of APR reductions too. 

For SP CLIs, follow the discussion here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/US-Bank-credit-limit-increase-web-site/td-p/1880787

While I've got $1500 CLIs with SPs, apparently there are other customers who've been hit with a HP.

Best bet is to press the button with freeze on. 

Message 4 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Generally CLIs are a HP unless they give you an automatic one which sometimes happens after several months of having the card. Some report that you can get SP CLI if you request under 1500 but that method is not foolproof. Rule of thumb is to anticipate a hard pull.

The APR won't ever be permanently reduced. That's not something they do. You can get a temporary reduction but to me those aren't meaningful unless you have a plan to carry a balance.
Message 5 of 7
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

As I had posted before in another thread, I went for the $1,500 CLI request a few months back and it was a hard pull. I have been with US Bank for close to three years and still can't get a CLI, still at original SL.

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 6 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

From what I've read ymmv here on the CLI's. I see some who appear to get them, no big deal, but others have struggles. It really is a case by case thing.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.