Regular Contributor
tidbit1

Re: GW Example Letters

Does anyone have the correct address for Bank of America (for credit cards) to mail a GW to?  There are about 6 different BofA addresses listed on my CR.

Also, does anyone know the correct address for Chase/Circuit City?

Thank a million!
Valued Member
gabbismommy01

Wow, great stories and letters everyone!
Does anyone have the address to send a GW letter to HSBC or JcPenney's?
th
New Visitor
th

I sent a GW letter to my credit card company and received a call today stating that it would be illegal for them to make an adjustment to my credit report. They suggest I send a "statement" to be placed on my report. as anyone else received this kind of answer? TH
Regular Contributor
tidbit1

I would wait 30 days and try again. It's not illegal.
Established Member
PatronHeel

Has anyone tried sending a GW letter to a lender for student loans? I was 30 days late with a payment last fall from when my father was going through some major health issues. I had the ability to pay, but I lost track of it amidst everything else. The fun part is, since I haven't consolidated them, it counted as 4 individual 30-day lates even though I pay them with one check to the same place. Other than that one month, everything's been paid above the minimum and on time.

For comparison, my EQ score (which does have the student loans and the late payments) is 674 while my TV score which doesn't have the accounts at all is 773. Pretty big difference and I'm sure most of it is due to the accounts on one report and not the other.

Is this worth giving a shot for a GW?
---------------------------
5/3/08 EQ: 674 TU: 773 EX: 763
4/19/08 EQ: 633
3/16/08 EQ: 660
Contributor
Nectarine

th wrote:
I sent a GW letter to my credit card company and received a call today stating that it would be illegal for them to make an adjustment to my credit report. They suggest I send a "statement" to be placed on my report. as anyone else received this kind of answer? TH

I've been telling some that I was told by a TransUnion representative to send the letter. Quite a few people have been told by a CRA Rep that they could get them removed with GW letters, so it has happened. If you want this statement on your letter to actually be true, you can call as ask specifically about GW letters. The CSR I talked to said that it was a good idea, so to me that's as good an endorsement as I'm likely to get haha. :smileywink:

PatronHeel wrote:
Has anyone tried sending a GW letter to a lender for student loans? I was 30 days late with a payment last fall from when my father was going through some major health issues. I had the ability to pay, but I lost track of it amidst everything else. The fun part is, since I haven't consolidated them, it counted as 4 individual 30-day lates even though I pay them with one check to the same place. Other than that one month, everything's been paid above the minimum and on time.

For comparison, my EQ score (which does have the student loans and the late payments) is 674 while my TV score which doesn't have the accounts at all is 773. Pretty big difference and I'm sure most of it is due to the accounts on one report and not the other.

Is this worth giving a shot for a GW?

Sometimes it really is the little things that can trip you up when you're dealing with major family situations. It's definitely worth a shot, especially since you were only late once. I understand about the "same loan/really four loans" thing, my Sallie Mae loan was considered two loans by Sallie Mae (sub and unsub loans) so even though it was the same promissory note and the same bill every month, every little change effects both.

Since it's basically the difference between four delinquent accounts and four perfect accounts, I'd try really hard to convince them to remove just the lates. Let them know about your situation and remind them that you paid perfectly before and after that month. Even if it costs you a letter a week it's still saving you money long-term to try a GW letter.

Good Luck!!!
pforsbergfan9

Do I send my GW Letter to the Credit Bureau or to the Credit Card Companies? I have 3 credit cards that were late up to 120 days. All of them were paid off in one lump sum in March of 2005. Ever since then I have been current on all of my bills and haven't missed a payment. I have 2 of them at Citi Cards and the other is at Chase. Should I send them the GW Letter or should I send it to TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax?
6/3/08 - TU = 649 / EX = 623 / EQ = 628
6/11/08 - TU = 653 / EX = 627 / EQ = 632
New Visitor
turkeytraveler

Has anyone had any luck dealing with FIA Card services?  Any advice?   We had thought we had paid off our card as we paid the balance in full....foolish us.  I did not check the bill on line ( we live with an elderly parent who loves to collect the mail but not always deliver it) and when I did check there was not only the interest accruing off $3.00 initially,  but an automatic on line subscription had occured without any notice to us.....AND 5 months had gone by!!!!

Any words of wisdom are appreciated....we are sending a GW now.  Phone calls have only resulted in the words it is illegal for us to change a report!!
Charlesrking

Can I get some input on this letter I revised. I appreciate all your help.

Regarding: Account No. XXXXX

COMPANY NAME
DEPARTMENT NAME
ADDRESS
CITY, STATE ZIP

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing a letter about my experience with xxxxxx that is a mixture of a grateful "thank-you" and a pressing request concerning a xxxxxx Charge Card tradeline in my credit files that I would like to have revised.

I received the XXXXX in the year of XXXX which at that time was an immature decision on my behalf. Being young, a newly wed, and immature at the time, I was not aware of the responsibilities I was about to lay upon my shoulders and the future to with hold. I respect XXXXX with great regards and sincerely apologize for the immature actions on my behalf, but with respect and hard work, I was able pay off the account XXXX.

To be honest, that year was a "wake-up" call for me regarding fiscal organization. Since then I believe I have learned the essential organizational and financial management principles I desperately needed at that point. Thankfully, responsible credit management has became an extremely role in my life. I wish to thank you for the opportunity you gave me to be a customer of your company and I would love to continue to have strong relations. Relations I am determined to keep positive.

Now that I am out of the military I am about to approach a step in life I believe every person should have a chance to achieve. I’m moving to Colorado to attend a University in the city of Denver to earn my degree. It has come to my attention that the late notations from XXXX may preclude me from taking full advantage of mortgage loans, student loans, and vehicle loans. Since those notations do not reflect my current status with xxxxxx, I am requesting that you give me a second chance at a positive credit rating by revising those tradelines. Your customer service representative suggested that I write you for a "goodwill adjustment." I sincerely hope that there is redemption at xxxxxxx, and I beg you for such consideration. Please let me know if any additional documentation would assist in reaching a positive outcome, and I thank you again for the time you have spent reading this letter.

Very hopefully yours,

Valued Member
toa700

Would you happen to have the fax number for HSBC? Thanks

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+