Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discrepancy on Hard Inquiries

tag
penelope10
Established Member

Discrepancy on Hard Inquiries

I get my quarterly report from TU through myfico.com.  It reports that I have 0 inquiries in the past 12 months.  Credit Karma lists 6 in the past 24 months.  The 6 credit inquires were all tied to mortgage shopping and all pulled within a week of each other in March 2011.  Does this many inquiries over 12 months ago affect my credit score, or is my score based on hard inquiries in the past 12 months only?  Thanks!

Starting Score 5/1/2002: 553
Current Score 5/30/2012: 785 (EQ FICO)
Current Score 10/2/2012: 803 (TU FICO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Discrepancy on Hard Inquiries

FICO only scores inquiries within the last 12 months. The CRAs show inquiries from the last 24 months. FAKO scores don't follow the same scoring rules though.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
FICO only scores inquiries within the last 12 months. The CRAs show inquiries from the last 24 months. FAKO scores don't follow the same scoring rules though.

+1 Yep.  Only inquiries in the last 12 months are scored.  And even then the 6 mortgage inquiries you had were only counted as 1 inquiry for FICO scoring purposes.  The inquiries themselves do stay on the reports for 2 years though and are available for creditors to see. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

And to add to the confusion, the period that inquiries are or are not still included in a consumer credit report is totally unregulated.

It is totally an administrative decision by the CRAs.  The standard practice seems to be to retain the inquiries for two years, but any CRA can drop them earlier or retain them longer, at their discretion.  It is totally in the best interest of a CRA to delete them as early as possible, as it is a massive amount of data that looses most of its value to creditors much earlier than 24 months.

Message 4 of 5
penelope10
Established Member

Thank you for the replys!  My bankruptcy just fell off after a long 10 year wait, I have a 4% utilization on my credit cards that I PIF every month, I have a mortgage with a $180k balance.  I'm wanting to apply for a new credit card (probably chase freedom), and wanted to make sure everything in my report was perfect so I can get a solid CL.  Guess I am worrying too much, but after 10 years of having a Public Record on my credit report, I guess I am entitled to worry.

Starting Score 5/1/2002: 553
Current Score 5/30/2012: 785 (EQ FICO)
Current Score 10/2/2012: 803 (TU FICO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.