Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score 8 vs Plus Score (CCT)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO Score 8 vs Plus Score (CCT)?

Does anyone know why when you get a set of scores from CCT why they are sometimes shown as "FICO Score 8" and other times shown as "Plus Score?"  I've often wondered this, as I do a ton of CCT $1 trials.  I'd say 75% of the time they are displayed as "FICO Score 8" and 25% of the time as "Plus Score."  I'm assuming there is zero difference in terms of numerical value here, but would like to know if anyone has any insight as far as the different wording provided?  I'll attach a couple of images to illustrate what I'm referring to for those that don't use CCT:

plusscore.jpg

ficoscore8.jpg

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO Score 8 vs Plus Score (CCT)?

PLUS is an educational scoring model not used by lenders for credit decisions, i.e. FAKO score that can have little or very significant difference from your FICO score. Why CCT would show you a PLUS score, I don't have a clue since I don't really have an account.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's strange is that in this FAQ at CCT's web site, it clearly states that Plus scores are not FICO scores....

What is the difference between the PLUS® Score and the FICO® Score?
The PLUS Score was developed by Experian Decision Analytics, the credit score-developing business owned by Experian. FICO® scores are developed by the Fair, Isaac Corporation which specializes in developing credit-scoring systems for lenders and other businesses.

... but immediately prior to that it states:

CreditCheckTotal uses the standard FICO® Score calculation model to generate scores.

Bizarre.

https://www.creditchecktotal.com/faqs#fico-what-is-the-difference-between

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odd stuff, guys.

I can assure you though 100% that the scores provided regardless of the "model" here (Plus or Score 8) are identical.  There are times where my scores have been stagnant for lengths of time during which I do several CCT trials.  My scores will remain exactly the same across all 3B, yet sometimes they say Plus and sometimes Score 8.

Message 4 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I've noticed that too, and I've had a continuous CCT subscription for over a year now.  (Even though my account lists the full price, it's still only the 50% off "don't leave us" rate appearing on my CC statement.)  Either the model is eerily similar to FICO 08 (because the PLUS scores match exactly every time to FICO 08 scores elsewhere) or it's a programming bug.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's got to be a programming bug, as there's no way IMO the model could be identical.  I just don't understand why it would flip-flop every couple of times from Score 8 to Plus?  I guess it is what it is. Ultimately I suppose it doesn't matter, I was just curious if anyone knew why the inconsistency here with Score 8 vs Plus.  Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen "Plus" used anywhere else other than CCT, so that alone is a bit of an eyebrow-raiser.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Plus score was more widely available back in the day.  FreeCreditScore.com was one source.

Now that free FICO scores are available everywhere hardly anyone is interested in (or has even heard of) Experian's two old forays into the world of credit scoring: the Plus score and the National equivalency score.

We should be grateful to VantageScore and free sites like Karma.  Their popularity got FICO worried enough that they induced it to release its scores to the public for free.  Hard to realize that this has only been a big thing for the last few years.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like it may just be a software issue on CCTs end, perhaps incorrectly stating Plus when it's not?  There's just no way IMO that all 3 Plus scores and 3 Score 8's are exactly identical, every time... unless the Plus and Score 8's are identical scoring models, just with different names for some odd reason.

Message 8 of 18
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

The Plus score/Fico issue was discussed on at least three other MyFico threads in 2015/2016 as I recall. Scores were always associated with Fico 8 although the old wording would pop up from time to time. The flip flop happened multiple times and many posters mentioned seeing the same thing. More than one poster reported back the scores were indeed Fico 8.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/CreditCheckTotal/m-p/4486248#M225389

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/CCT-showing-true-Ficos/m-p/4336208#M219812

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Attention-cct-users/m-p/4353195#M220222

Note: Experian Plus score goes from 330 to 830. See below link for score range by model tables

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/The-many-flavors-of-FICO-Editions-version...

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice references, TT.  Interesting that the threads discussing it were from 2-3 years ago and not more recently.

It makes sense that they are indeed Score 8.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.