cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get the bureaus to hurry up with fixing an error?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I get the bureaus to hurry up with fixing an error?

Hi!

We check our credit reports annually (last time was about eight months ago, when I had a 750). My car died a few weeks ago, and when I checked my credit report to go buy a car, I found two errors that were bringing my score down to the 650 range (630 in the "automobile" version). Discover was incorrectly reporting one of my husband's maxed out cards as mine (its a 0% card, and he was maximizing money saved, not his score), and Home Depot had reported that I was late on a payment when I wasn't (it would have been my first late ever if true).

The night we found out my husband called Discover and Home Depot and they both agreed to update the credit reports as soon as they could. Discover told me they could "fix it" by the 23rd, Home Depot said they reported it today. None of these have come through on my credit report, and when I called Discover, they told me that they reported it, but may take a month for the report to be reflected in my credit score - and that I should call the credit reporting agency. Of course, the two agencies I pull scores from - Equifax and Transunion - are closed on weekends as far as I can tell, so my chance of shopping for a car this weekend is gone.

I'm without a car, I need one to get to work (no bus service near my job) and these two errors are ruining my ability to get a new one. Is there any way to accelerate the effect on my credit score? Or do I have to wait another month?

I noticed that Equifax offers 24/7 customer service on their products to paying customers (as opposed to the 9-5/5 they provide the rest of us) - is there a chance they can accelerate the update? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: How can I get the bureaus to hurry up with fixing an error?

Hi and welcome to the forums.

It can take up to 90 days for the CRAs to update. 

If both of the creditors would verify these were mistakes to the car dealship, maybe you could go ahead and finance. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.