Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installment loan?

tag
coroc
Valued Member

installment loan?

Not really a credit card question. But looking for advice on getting a installment loan. Is it worth my time?(just using it to build my credit file) And if so where's a good place to get it from? Plz help
On my way! $FG
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: installment loan?

do you have any credit right now? 

if your only looking for an installment loan, your best bet would be to find a cd secured loan. 

which usually you take 1k of your money to secure 1k they give you. 

Depending on the interest rate it should be about 20-25 dollars that it would cost you too build that credit for the year. 

find a bank that reports to all 3 credit bureaus.

and since it would be in good standing after its paid off and closed it will report for the next 10 years after that 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 2 of 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: installment loan?

+1 to what CnC posted.

Most CU's and also some other institutions (USAA / Wells Fargo) will offer this service and I highly recommend it.  CU loan limits are around 1K typically though I believe there was a $500 one floating around, USAA is 2.5K and Wells is 3K last I checked.

Personally I went with USAA's as it was directly tied to a CD and I could specify the term on it, I wanted longer than a year that some of the other secured loans do.  It was a straight benefit to my credit report, but I only had one other installment loan ever on my report, if you have a thicker file with regards to installment loans, it likely won't be as beneficial.

Also, moving this post Smiley Happy.

        
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.