Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Burned

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Burned

I filed CH 7 last year (2020) it was discharged in April. I get offers from Capital One, but every time I use the prequalify tool I always get this message - "we've observed activity on a prior capital one account, that's isn't consistent with our expectations..."

I had a card with them in 2016, the limit may have been $700. I fell on hard times and it was charged off. Then recently included in BK.

I've read on here ppl still being able to get a card with capital one post Ch7.

In addition, I have since been approved for a Kohl's charge...through capital one (6 months post discharge)

Anyone else have this happen?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Burned

They're very forgiving so chances are good that you'll get back in with them. Several people have said they had to wait about a year before being approved.

I can't speak for CapOne but getting a cobranded card under their umbrella isn't surprising. Citi has shown this to happen too, where people could get a Home Depot card but not a core Citi card.

Message 2 of 25
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I didn't get approved until 13 months post DC on a CapOne Visa/MC. Now I have one with a $5,300 limit and one with a $3,500 limit

Message 3 of 25
ghostVetFL
New Contributor

My wife and I both burned them separately this passed Aug by filing CH 7. We were discharged in Nov. I was able to get a Capital One Wal-Mart card for $300 (small but better than nothing). My wife was approved for the Capital One Quicksilver with a $700 credit limit. I say go for it and see what happens. We were basically just over 30 days discharged when they approved us both.

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband has good credit but sometimes isn't able to get high credit limits.

Capital One and Discover really went out on a limb by agreeing to give him cards before he was a Lawful Permanent Resident, but they both did, and the forms for those two ask if you're a citizen and of course I told him "Say no, obviously." and they just ask where you're a citizen and are you a Resident Alien or not. (Which he was under IRS regulations.)

They both seem to have a bigger appetite for risk than some of the other legitimate banks do, and as long as you aren't lying you haven't done anything wrong if they issue you a card, but sheesh. Few months after burning them and some people get "Hey, here's another card!".

I'm just going to keep on keeping on with asking Capital One for a card in my name until they issue me one again. I've gotten to 4 tradelines and I'm down to the bank of the middle of nowhere saying they'll give you a card in bankruptcy but there's fees. Ain't nobody got time for that. Need someone to be my 5th so I can get rid of the "thin file" penalty on FICO.

Message 5 of 25
Goal7502022
Established Member

My DC was in early November and I was approved two weeks later for a Platimun card with a $3k limit even though burned them for $10k plus. At the same time I have seen other people have to wait an year so it seens like Capital One is truly hit of miss.

;;

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

i filed chapter 7 Nov. 2018 buurned cap one for $700. , just applied for Platinum mastercard , auto approval for 3K ! go figure!

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I burned Capital One in a chapter 7 in Nov. 2019... three cards: Walmart store($1100), Journey Visa ($750) and a Platinum ($1000). Bankruptcy was discharged 2/29/2020... I decided to check out the prequalify site. Sure enough, I got a platinum card with a $3000 limit as well.

Message 8 of 25
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

@Goal7502022 Capital One isn't really a hit or miss. They have internal guidelines. The main guideline is the applicant has NOT had a charge off with Cap1 in the last 12 months. This means you likely had your charge off 12+ months prior to your application since filing BK on an account doesn't restart this waiting period.

Best of luck!

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to get a kohls not long after discharge, 300 limit, I recently try to prequailify for capital one secured and it said no "because of my past relationship with capital one" I accidently typoed my DOB on my kohls application and I think that's why it approved it oddly enough. When I tried to set up an online profile it kept giving me a verfication error..called and a rep reluctantly corrected my DOB so I could set up my online account.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.