cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA American Express Cards after Bankruptcy

tag
PaF505

USAA American Express Cards after Bankruptcy

I am 3.5 years post bankruptcy.  I see that 5 years 1 month is the best chance to get an approval from AE. I have never had an American Express card. 

USAA has 3 AE cards. One is a Secured card. I would much rather have the regular cash back card they offer. I'm wondering if the rule would be different since it is USAA? 

I have 3 cards currently, one auto loan and one student loan.  2 Capital One, and one Citi. My scores are 743, 738, 700

Is it worth the inquiry to try for either card through USAA?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: USAA American Express Cards after Bankruptcy

AMEX is only the servicer of the USAA card. No connection to AMEX. Yes after 61 months. They'll let you in if they weren't burned. I have 2 since passing that mark.

Message 2 of 8
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I don't know if USAA has a hard rule on BK. I got in 5.5 years post CH7. I did not burn them, received a preapproval via email for their Preferred Cash Rewards Visa Signature and received a $15k limit. Once I let my latest round of cards age a bit I may take a shot at their American Express branded card.

Note that the USAA American Express card is issued and serviced by USAA, not by American Express itself so American Express rules don't come into play.

Message 3 of 8
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@PaF505 wrote:

I am 3.5 years post bankruptcy.  I see that 5 years 1 month is the best chance to get an approval from AE. I have never had an American Express card. 

As others have said... 61 months post filing if they weren't burned.  Not sure if that rule applies to co-branded cards but if I were you I wouldn't waste my time.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 8
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@PaF505 The simple way to remember the differences between AMEX and a co branded  card, is that even CreditOne offers a CreditOne AMEX. 

@FireMedic1  so if I filed ch 7 in August 2019, and did not have an AMEX, then I should qualify around the end of this coming September?

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 5 of 8
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

Amex's 61 month post-filing policy only applies to cards issued by Amex itself. 

USAA has their own set of criteria for their line of cards, including their Amex card. Could be less, could be more. 

FICO EX 829 EQ 824 TU 844

Current lineup as of 9/24
American Express Blue Cash Everyday 20K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 20K I American Express Cash Magnet 5K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 5K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One QS MC 9K | NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa 25K I NFCU Amex 20K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 20K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 11.5K I Bread Financial American Express 10.5K I AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 8.5K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Saks Fifth Avenue World Elite MC 8.3K IChevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard 6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I PayPal Cash Back Visa 9K I
Message 6 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@2b2rich wrote:

@PaF505 The simple way to remember the differences between AMEX and a co branded  card, is that even CreditOne offers a CreditOne AMEX. 

@FireMedic1  so if I filed ch 7 in August 2019, and did not have an AMEX, then I should qualify around the end of this coming September?

Correct. I waited a week after the jail period. Got denied the first time due to a new checking account with NFCU. Waited a year and was approved.

Message 7 of 8
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@PaF505 wrote:

As others have said... 61 months post filing if they weren't burned.  Not sure if that rule applies to co-branded cards but if I were you I wouldn't waste my time.

The AmEx rules don't apply to the cards running on their network that aren't AmEx issued.  I burned AmEx in my BK7 but I have the Bread Financial AmEx card.

BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.