cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Amex Approval Algorithm Changed?

tag
atst2000
Frequent Contributor

Possible Amex Approval Algorithm Changed?

Greetings,

Lately I've noticed a big change with Amex...a lot of approvals. 

Since I started my membership with Amex back in 2016, it wasn't that hard to get approved for an Amex product (Gold Charge, BCR). However, about almost three years ago it seemed to get a lot more strict than what it was, at least from what I've seen between forums online. 

Recently (this month) the amount of approvals and threads on MYFICO seem to show there's definitely been a change (finally). 

To test this theory I applied for a Blue Cash Biz card...and finally it was approved!  I applied every other month since it's a SP lol. I also did not get a bucketed SL ($5k).

Later I waited 5 days and went for the Amazon Amex...declined. 
I thought to myself "hold on a minute...let me try for the Amex Gold Charge Biz (4 mins from getting declined for the Amazon Amex)...approved and with a $10k POT!

Then it hit me..."if" they changed there approval algorithm, and the Amazon Amex goes through a different online portal to apply (it will redirect you to the Amazon website, rather than applying right in the Amex site) they probably haven't updated that application with the new approval underwriting rules. 

This sounds a bit weird, but thought I would share this with others.  Maybe it changed, maybe not but I'm glad to finally get a Amex Biz card, other than my bucketed Amex Delta Platinum which I've had for over three years. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Re: Possible Amex Approval Algorithm Changed?

@atst2000 wrote:

Greetings,

Since I started my membership with Amex back in 2016, it wasn't that hard to get approved for an Amex product (Gold Charge, BCR). However, about almost three years ago it seemed to get a lot more strict than what it was, at least from what I've seen between forums online. 

Recently (this month) the amount of approvals and threads on MYFICO seem to show there's definitely been a change (finally). 

To test this theory I applied for a Blue Cash Biz card...and finally it was approved!  I applied every other month since it's a SP lol. I also did not get a bucketed SL ($5k).

I thought to myself "hold on a minute...let me try for the Amex Gold Charge Biz (4 mins from getting declined for the Amazon Amex)...approved and with a $10k POT!

Then it hit me..."if" they changed there approval algorithm, and the Amazon Amex goes through a different online portal to apply (it will redirect you to the Amazon website, rather than applying right in the Amex site) they probably haven't updated that application with the new approval underwriting rules. 

This sounds a bit weird, but thought I would share this with others.  Maybe it changed, maybe not but I'm glad to finally get a Amex Biz card, other than my bucketed Amex Delta Platinum which I've had for over three years. 

I'm not sure of any algorithm change but I do agree it seems there have been an influx of reported approvals on the MF site.

A couple of points though that could be a factor for that.

During the pandemic the average credit score has risen , many people have been homebound resulting in more time in front of a computer as well as time to take an interest in personal/business finance, and the CC issuers took several months of losses and might be trying to recoup by a push to extend credit. 

Quite a few have recently released new or rebranded CC 's of late with marketing to match for new applications.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 2 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@atst2000 wrote:

Greetings,

Congratulations on the Business Cash card. It's a great card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 7
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the BBC and Gold approvals!

|  
Message 4 of 7
blackfines1
Contributor

Friend on rebuilding got approuved last week for amex Gold 1k SL

EXP fico 647 inq18 

Message 5 of 7
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

I think they have different criterion for different cards. I've noticed this on the personal side and on the business side. My Experian report and score aren't great due to some derogatory items. For example, I have the Delta Gold, but AmEx will not approve me for the Gold charge. I was recently approved for the Amazon Prime business card, but they denied me for the Blue Business Cash. I think the cobranded cards are easier to obtain compared to the core cards, but that's not true for every profile. How can I get the Amazon Prime card, while you can't? Credit approvals are complicated sometimes!

Message 6 of 7
coincidentalirony

This may be true. A month ago I paid off my chase sapphire and the beginning of august I had pre approvals for every chase card. Same with Amex. You could be on to something here.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.