cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI

tag

AMEX CLI

I applied and was approved for an Amex BCP SL $2k on 1/11/22, first ever AMEX card.  I tried to request a CLI this morning (91st day since opening) and website said I was "unable to request a credit limit increase because you recently opened an account with us".  Is the 60 or 90 3x CLI not a thing anymore or is it YMMV?  I called CS and agent said I had to wait 6 months to request a limit increase.  I even said the website states you can request a limit increase 60 days after account opening but CS agent was adamant that I had to wait 6 months to request a CLI and its the same for ALL customers with a new account.  He kept saying a new account with an approved credit limit counts the same as a credit limit increase (an increase from $0 if you want to get technical) and that means I have to wait 6 months.  Doesn't quite make sense to me.  I just wanted to know if it was unique to me and my account to wait 6 months for an increase or maybe I should wait a few days and ask a different CS agent.  Anyways, let me know if you have any insights.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Trini88
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI

I got my card August of last year and got 2 credit limit increases before the 7th statement cut.

Goal Cards:
Message 2 of 13

Thanks for replying!  How long did you wait for your first CLI?  Did you request or was it automatic?

Message 3 of 13
SDMarik
Established Contributor

@jeweledorchid777 wrote:

I applied and was approved for an Amex BCP SL $2k on 1/11/22, first ever AMEX card.  I tried to request a CLI this morning (91st day since opening) and website said I was "unable to request a credit limit increase because you recently opened an account with us".  Is the 60 or 90 3x CLI not a thing anymore or is it YMMV?  I called CS and agent said I had to wait 6 months to request a limit increase.  I even said the website states you can request a limit increase 60 days after account opening but CS agent was adamant that I had to wait 6 months to request a CLI and its the same for ALL customers with a new account.  He kept saying a new account with an approved credit limit counts the same as a credit limit increase (an increase from $0 if you want to get technical) and that means I have to wait 6 months.  Doesn't quite make sense to me.  I just wanted to know if it was unique to me and my account to wait 6 months for an increase or maybe I should wait a few days and ask a different CS agent.  Anyways, let me know if you have any insights.  Thanks!

Amex does have a 60 day CLI policy for most products, however the BCP in particular has a 6 month wait. Not sure why, maybe because it's their premier cash back card? Perhaps Issuers get a little more picky on their cards that come with rewards that cost them (the issuer) more money.

Not sure if this stands if you already have other Amex cards in good standing when you get the BCP, very well may though.

As a DP, I got my first CLI on BCP 6 months after opening it, and it was my second Amex.

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 4 of 13

@SDMarik wrote:

@jeweledorchid777 wrote:

Amex does have a 60 day CLI policy for most products, however the BCP in particular has a 6 month wait. Not sure why, maybe because it's their premier cash back card? Perhaps Issuers get a little more picky on their cards that come with rewards that cost them (the issuer) more money.

Not sure if this stands if you already have other Amex cards in good standing when you get the BCP, very well may though.

As a DP, I got my first CLI on BCP 6 months after opening it, and it was my second Amex.

Thanks for your insightful reply!  This is my first Amex card so I can see why I'd have the wait 6 month.  I guess I'll have to be patient Smiley Happy.

Message 5 of 13
SDMarik
Established Contributor

One great thing about Amex, is that really do consider your relationship and history with them when making decisions, pay in full every month and they'll likely be very good about increases in the future.

Also, if you stay solid with them, additional Amex cards are likely only a SP moving forward. Some DPs point to a hard pull every so often, but the consensus is that's it's usually a soft pull. So far I've gone 3 cards and a CLI in a row without any additional hard pulls after the first one.

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 6 of 13

@SDMarik wrote:

One great thing about Amex, is that really do consider your relationship and history with them when making decisions, pay in full every month and they'll likely be very good about increases in the future.

Also, if you stay solid with them, additional Amex cards are likely only a SP moving forward. Some DPs point to a hard pull every so often, but the consensus is that's it's usually a soft pull. So far I've gone 3 cards and a CLI in a row without any additional hard pulls after the first one.

Great information!  Thanks so much!

Message 7 of 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I had the same issue when trying to request a CLI at 61 days. I also opened up a chat with them, and they told me the same thing about 6 months, though the CSR I chatted with did hint at being able to try after my 3rd statement cut, which I did. At about 91/92- days I tried again, and STILL got the "account opened recently" thing, BUT when I tried again at around 101 days or so, I was finally able to request a CLI. I still got denied, but for credit-related reasons, not because it was "too new."

Just my two cents. It may be possible before 6 months. Smiley Happy

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 13
Trini88
Established Contributor

@jeweledorchid777 wrote:

Thanks for replying!  How long did you wait for your first CLI?  Did you request or was it automatic?

The 1st one I requested a few days after my 3rd statement. The second increase I requested at 101 days after the 1st request.

Goal Cards:
Message 9 of 13
pakratus
Contributor

I have been coaching a friend in credit.  He got the BCP in May '21(?), got a 61 day CLI.  Then got a 3X CLI in Jan or Feb.

This 6 month first CLI rule is pretty new, along with CLI link missing.  Hopefully it's temporary due to the economy?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.