Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX DENIED!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX DENIED!

So I was reading several successful AMEX applications with Fico 8 Experian scores in the 630's, it caught my attention.  I checked my Experian FICO 8 and was at 649 so I thought, what the heck.  I went ahead and applied for the Amex Everyday card, but was denied.  I viewed the letter online and it said the reason was my FICO score and showed my 649 score.

Anyone else denied with a score similar?  The denial letter says to wait 30 days... curious how long others waited to try again or at what score?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX DENIED!

Sorry to hear about your denial OP. I think there are some AMEX cards that are less strict with UW, Best way to find out which card is by checking their prequal page. You could be Pre-approved for Charge cards or the Delta AMEX, but your score may not be that high just yet to get an approval for their prime revolver cards. You can try again after 30 days, but I strongly suggest you get your score up to at least 675 - 690 range as that may yield a better result. And check the prequal page prior to applying, but of course, it is always YMMV

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for the charge card with a 656 score not too long ago. I guess your file also has to be to their liking. I can tell you however; if I would have known better, I would not have accepted their charge card. It was so difficult for me to pay it off when I first got it. I agree with the prior member to get your score higher and try again. Good luck!

Message 3 of 22
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, keep in mind that a FICO score is one of many elements considered when evaluating a decision. It's an exercise in futility to assume that a score alone will yield an approval.

And, while a variety of individuals provide some relevant data points associated with their approvals, you're only tapping the surface when it comes to an overall profile.

I'd suggest bringing up the score by working on any potential items that may be keeping it at that level.
Message 4 of 22
Winesnoblv
Regular Contributor

My first AMEX was the BCE.  I was surprised when it was approved with my scores in the 680's, but the cl was only $1.500.  It took 2 years to finally have the 3x cli approved.  My point is that even if you were approved, your cl may have been lower than you need.  The following year I received mailings for the Platinum Card.  I was instantly approved when I applied.

FICO 8 EX 784 TU 786 EQ 786
FICO 9 EX 780
AMEX - Platinum, BCP, Delta Platinum, Simply Cash Plus, Blue Business Cash (Business)
Barclay - Arrival Plus, AAdvantage Aviator
Capital One - Venture, Sparks (Business)
Chase - FU, CSP
Citi - Premier, PLOC
Discover It Miles
TD Cash Visa
US Bank Altitude Reserve
Wells Fargo Propel AMEX
PNC Points Visa
FNBO Evergreen Visa
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I was reading several successful AMEX applications with Fico 8 Experian scores in the 630's, it caught my attention.  I checked my Experian FICO 8 and was at 649 so I thought, what the heck.  I went ahead and applied for the Amex Everyday card, but was denied.  I viewed the letter online and it said the reason was my FICO score and showed my 649 score.

Anyone else denied with a score similar?  The denial letter says to wait 30 days... curious how long others waited to try again or at what score?

Thanks!

This doesn't make much sense to me.  A 30-day wait is for a non-credit reason like requesting a CLI too early.  When you're denied for a credit-related reason like a low credit score the wait is 90 days.

Message 6 of 22
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

OP - sorry for the denial! But get your EX report number and review on EX website. As long as you keep checking on it, you should be able to access updated reports. 

Did you check the prequal page? 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I echo what many have said here. However, I disagree with one poster here who indicated that it's a 90 day wait for a FICO Score related denial.

I applied for my AMEX, Delta Gold, on 10-12-18 with a 602 EXP FICO. I was denied for one reason, FICO Score. I waited exactly 31/32 days, reapplied with a 640ish EXP score, and was approved instantly. My experience is that you need to be very close or over 640 to secure an approval for the Delta Gold which clearly has more lenient UW. Many have had success with lower scores, it's just not as common.

And of course, it's not only about score. The rest of your profile and history seems to play a major role as well. My suggestion is wait it out, get your scores up, and apply for the card you NEED and and WANT.

Good Luck!
Message 8 of 22
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Op as everyone has said m, checking and working on the info with your report is important at this point. Scores are only one element and many times does not tell the whole story. Take the advice given on working on your profile to make it stronger so that the next time you go to app, you can go into it with confidence, knowing you have a strong profile. When your scores are a bit low, it is almost like a crap shoot as to whether or not you stand a chance at approval.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 22
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

I was in the same boat, EXACTLY THE SAME BOAT 3 years ago, here is what worked for me, after the 30 days from the decline letter, I applied for the GREEN CHARGE CARD ( yes the green one ) and used it like my DEBIT card, I made payments on a weekly basis, within 2 months my Pre-Set spending limit was up to $5000-- fast forward 3 years..... AMEX is my best friend.

Hope this helps.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.