Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PreQuals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX PreQuals

Ok so just for entertainment purposes I checked the Amex pre qual page. Side Note: I did check it a few weeks ago and only showed the Delta Gold. Now its showing the Delta Gold and the Green and Gold Cards. Just was wondering if the Gold Card was even a possibility for someone at my level. I thought you needed to be in the excellent credit range? 

I'm not getting it now since I was just approved for the Discover IT CB. I want to take full advantage of the CB match. I was just curious if that was in the realm of possibilities for someone at my level. My siggy shows what I have. AAoA is only 3 months according to CK. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX PreQuals

AMEX charge cards (Green, Gold, and Platinum) have proven to have more relaxed approval standards than their credit cards.

Charge cards have lower risk for AMEX. They can adjust your spending limit up or down based on any number of factors. They can also approve or deny a transaction based on the same factors.
Message 2 of 9
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Honestly AMEX once upon a time ago used to be geared more towards the "excellent" credit group, but as of the last few years not so much.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
AMEX charge cards (Green, Gold, and Platinum) have proven to have more relaxed approval standards than their credit cards.

Charge cards have lower risk for AMEX. They can adjust your spending limit up or down based on any number of factors. They can also approve or deny a transaction based on the same factors.

Good to know. My future goals consist of building a solid relationship with Amex. Maybe get that Platinum Card to feel extra boujee at the Starbucks counter. Its a nice feeling that those dreams may not be as far out as I thought. Back in 2009 I had a Blue card, I closed the account but it was in good standings. Hope they remember me when I do apply later down the road.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They’ll not only remember you, when they issue your new card, your “member since” date will reflect your past membership.
Message 5 of 9
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Definitely is possible with your scores. AmEx used to be at one point for very good/excellent credit holders but have definitely loosened up since. Probably to expand their customer base. Also - OP - I wouldn't trust CK for anything other then real time monitoring. I believe CK doesn't calculate for closed accounts either so your AAoA may be longer then that.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ correct re account age, CK only factors open accounts. CK says my AAoA is 1yr 9mo. Experian says 3yrs 6mos.
Message 7 of 9
Dilbert934
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe get that Platinum Card to feel extra boujee at the Starbucks counter.

Is it really worth $550/yr to feel extra boujee?  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely not!!! Lol
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.