cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex declined to add AU. Recon possible?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex declined to add AU. Recon possible?

So here is what this is about: The other day, DW received an AMEX ED with a SL of 10k, after a straight up decline online. It seems they must have manually reviewed the application and approved her, despite having burning them in a CH7 BK back in 1996, as did I. I have applied with them 4 times since reestablishment and they were not included in the 2011 BK, but have always been declined due to my previous card performance with them. Again, that is because of what happened in 1996. She tried to add me as an AU, but they declined it. They didn't give a reason, only to say they were unable to add an additional card to the account. The package she received in the mail said her EXP score was 728. Mine is currently 722. Has anyone successfully reconned that kind of a decision? She's sort of gloating because she has something I can't have. lol Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex declined to add AU. Recon possible?

Don't think recon is going to change their decision.  They often refuse to add someone as a an AU that has burned them in the past. 

Message 2 of 12
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

But DW also burned them. Amex is tough to fully understand. I have NOT burned them, but I do have a bk, and they won't even sneeze my way.  As for me, I think I'm done trying to get in with amex. If they don't want my business, despite treating my last account well, then perhaps I don't want THEM! Yes, I'm a bit bitter...

Good luck with them! And congrats to DW☺

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would leave it alone so as not to mess things up for DW.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't think recon is going to change their decision.  They often refuse to add someone as a an AU that has burned them in the past. 

Could it also be due to the amount of time she has had the card this time?

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex will do that. When my DW added me to hers they flat out asked if I had ever defaulted on an AMEX account. I didn't so I was added no problems.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I would leave it alone so as not to mess things up for DW.

I think that's a good idea, Maria. Best not poke the bear, since she's really fortunate to have been approved. Maybe down the road she can add me, after the account has been established for some time.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So here is what this is about: The other day, DW received an AMEX ED with a SL of 10k, after a straight up decline online. It seems they must have manually reviewed the application and approved her, despite having burning them in a CH7 BK back in 1996, as did I. I have applied with them 4 times since reestablishment and they were not included in the 2011 BK, but have always been declined due to my previous card performance with them. Again, that is because of what happened in 1996. She tried to add me as an AU, but they declined it. They didn't give a reason, only to say they were unable to add an additional card to the account. The package she received in the mail said her EXP score was 728. Mine is currently 722. Has anyone successfully reconned that kind of a decision? She's sort of gloating because she has something I can't have. lol Smiley Happy

Congrats to your DW!

IMHO, I don't think reconning their decision will change the outcome. I have read several posts that stated you have to wait a long time after BK to be able to obtain an Amex even longer if you included them in a BK. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

But DW also burned them. Amex is tough to fully understand. I have NOT burned them, but I do have a bk, and they won't even sneeze my way.  As for me, I think I'm done trying to get in with amex. If they don't want my business, despite treating my last account well, then perhaps I don't want THEM! Yes, I'm a bit bitter...

Good luck with them! And congrats to DW☺

She burned them 20 years ago. 

Idk how long ago your BK was discharged but I've read it can take a long time to get in with Amex after a BK. Best of luck!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.