Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay card requirements

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay card requirements

Hello, all.

I'm considering applying for a Barclay card, but looking for some general input since they have no pre-qual sites. I'd be applying with a dirty scorecard, but paid derogs. 

Any advice on minimum score (TU I assume) and any app sensitivities they may have.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay card requirements

They are one of the pickiest lenders for cards that are blah at best. They don't like new accounts and depending on how old the derogatories are, that could be a deal breaker too. 

Message 2 of 15
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, all.

I'm considering applying for a Barclay card, but looking for some general input since they have no pre-qual sites. I'd be applying with a dirty scorecard, but paid derogs. 

Any advice on minimum score (TU I assume) and any app sensitivities they may have.

Thanks!

These days, I would say 750 score and no new accounts added with no more than 2 inq! Oh also very little UTI.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 15
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Depends on the card. 

TU FICO 8 690 will help get you a close look, 720 will get you a closer one. 

They are inquiry- and new account- sensitive,  having an established deep and thick profile helps a little bit with desensization. 

They don't have a lot of tolerance for cardholders who they think may be faltering a bit or who demonstrate what they consider a lackidaisical attitude toward maintaining a strong credit profile and are very quick to cut the cord.

Their underwriters are no-nonsense but if they aren't pressed for time are willing to spend a couple of minutes giving constructive feedback within reason if you ask the right questions. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 15
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, all.

Thanks!

Just curious, any specific reason for "Barclay"?

Message 5 of 15
Dmessina666
Frequent Contributor

Ok, so contrary to the other comments, I have the Barclay Apple Financing Card. 

I applied in April of this year, with the following:

3 PIF charge-off accounts that are all about 4 years old. 

Inquiries across the board - 29

aggregate utilization across 9 new accounts in two years - 7%

AZEO when I applied, approved for $2000 SL

My scores were:

EQ Fico 8 662

TU Fico 8 688

EX Fico 8 677

My advice, you never know bc I got it with the total opposite of what everyone is saying here. Good luck and please let us know if you do apply. 

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  What card are you applying for? Are the card benefits exclusive to Barclay?

Imo if there is a comparable card at another financial institution, you should apply there instead. Only reason I say that is because Barclay cards (and Sync) appear to be susceptible to AA. So if you ever get into credit trouble again you may find your Barclay card experiencing a CLD or other event outside of your control during a tulmultious time.  

"AA = Adverse Action = Account closure, CL decrease, etc. (Ontherebound)"

Message 7 of 15
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Dmessina666 wrote:

My scores were:

EQ Fico 8 662

TU Fico 8 688

EX Fico 8 677

My advice, you never know bc I got it with the total opposite of what everyone is saying here. Good luck and please let us know if you do apply. 

I believe they are a TU puller so 688 is right in the range of approvals. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same boat, I got a very basic reward card from them like 4 years ago with a banko 3 years ago.

Message 9 of 15
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@Dmessina666 wrote:

My scores were:

EQ Fico 8 662

TU Fico 8 688

EX Fico 8 677

I have that card sound asleep in my SD and would've closed it if it isn't one of my oldest card since rebuild. It's a USELESS card outside of select apple products periodic financing. Has zero rewards and high APR so anyone pretty much with a pulse can qualify for that card (albeit toy SL)!  Incremental CLIs are HPs and require an interrogation from their UWs! Between that card and Merrick, I'd take the latter any day of the week!

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.