Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHASE CCs

tag
sectionals
New Contributor

CHASE CCs

Hey all. I'm aware of all the different variables that go into an app being approved. I was curious though as to if Chase is using FICO 8 or 9 Bankcard scores and from what bureaus. If anyone has any DPs that would surely be appreciated.

Rebuild (OCT 21) FICO 8: EX 578 FICO 9: EQ 516

Current FICO 8/9:
EQ 660/729
EX 670/714
TU 650/705

TCL: 34800
CCU: 3%

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: CHASE CCs

They use an internal scoring system called CARS v2.

Message 2 of 12
keekers556
Frequent Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I thought Chase wasn't moved at all by having a relationship with them (e.g. Chase products)?  Or do they just take existing credit report info and do their own math on it to arrive at their internal score?

Message 3 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@keekers556 wrote:

I thought Chase wasn't moved at all by having a relationship with them (e.g. Chase products)?  Or do they just take existing credit report info and do their own math on it to arrive at their internal score?

Yes.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@sectionals wrote:

Hey all. I'm aware of all the different variables that go into an app being approved. I was curious though as to if Chase is using FICO 8 or 9 Bankcard scores and from what bureaus. If anyone has any DPs that would surely be appreciated.

They pull your data from one or more credit bureaus, then apply their own internal score.

For me they have always pulled EX.

In April they turned me down for a card. My Chase internal score was 710, which was about 10 points higher than my EX FICO 8.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 5 of 12
SarahJo
Established Contributor

@keekers556 wrote:

Chase is absolutely influenced by the relationship and products you have with them. They do use their internal score, which is mainly based on Experian. The big however is, it is regionally dependent. Northeast, Southwest, etc. can be different CB's pulled. Also, Chase may pull two bureaus...meaning EX is pulled, but if your app is needing a lil more confirmation TU will be pulled as well for data (do a search on the forums for your area you should find some data points, people here are great about that). One of the best ways, in my observance and experience, is to open a Chase checking account if you have no previous relationship with them. Depending on your score it may be needed. In my case, I've cold apped every Chase product I have, except for my second car loan, that I was preapproved for. My husband, whose scores are significantly lower than mine (he is learning 'the way" and starting to reap the benefits!) opened a Chase checking account and around 4 months later started receiving preapprovals (Green star, states approved limit) to accept. One month ago he accepted the Unlimited offer and yesterday he just got a Subaru car loan through Chase! Hope this helps!

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 6 of 12
Binbinimiwi
Frequent Contributor

Glad I found this thread. Good info, so thanks all. I am going to try to hop out of the garden come August or Sept for a travel card. I was considering the CSP,  but I am thinking they may not like my profile given that I do have 30-day baddies (student loans) from last fall. I've been trying to get them removed via GW since it was a matter of COVID and the servicer was requiring a monthly call in to apply the COVID waiver rather than applying it automatically until the halt was removed as the federal government intended. I missed calling in twice, so that's a huge impact.

Anyway, I'm trying to gauge whether or not I should should skip Chase and try again in a year or two. My DTI is currently sitting at 22%, income is over $100K, and FICO Bankcard scores are (F8) 680 EX & EQ / 699 TU, and (F9) 727 EQ / 708 TU / 717 EX. The baddies are 9 reported 30-day lates two months straight. (I pay 1 payment, but they report 9 times on each loan individually) - great when you are paying on time and/or don't forget to call in, so earlier this year I consolidated and changed servicers to get a company that actually handles things better.

Any thoughts or input on my chances? I'm thinking of skipping Chase but haven't decided yet. TIA!

>>
FICO8 Scores as of JAN 2021:

FICO8 Scores as of JULY 2023:

FICO9 Scores as of July 2023:

Message 7 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@SarahJo wrote:

@keekers556 wrote:

Chase is absolutely influenced by the relationship and products you have with them. They do use their internal score, which is mainly based on Experian. The big however is, it is regionally dependent. Northeast, Southwest, etc. can be different CB's pulled. Also, Chase may pull two bureaus...meaning EX is pulled, but if your app is needing a lil more confirmation TU will be pulled as well for data (do a search on the forums for your area you should find some data points, people here are great about that). One of the best ways, in my observance and experience, is to open a Chase checking account if you have no previous relationship with them. Depending on your score it may be needed. In my case, I've cold apped every Chase product I have, except for my second car loan, that I was preapproved for. My husband, whose scores are significantly lower than mine (he is learning 'the way" and starting to reap the benefits!) opened a Chase checking account and around 4 months later started receiving preapprovals (Green star, states approved limit) to accept. One month ago he accepted the Unlimited offer and yesterday he just got a Subaru car loan through Chase! Hope this helps!

As a former Chase corporate employee, I can assure you that they do not take relationships into account. This extends to private clients. Unless you're carrying a JP Morgan Reserve, you will be handled on the merits of your reports and internal score.

Message 8 of 12
SarahJo
Established Contributor

@SarahJo wrote:

@keekers556 wrote:

As a former Chase corporate employee, I can assure you that they do not take relationships into account. This extends to private clients. Unless you're carrying a JP Morgan Reserve, you will be handled on the merits of your reports and internal score.

There are many data points over the years on here indicating that establishing a checking account with Chase can be beneficial when considering a further credit relationship with them. I respect your experience, but I also trust mine, we shall agree to disagree :-)

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 9 of 12
Blender
Established Contributor

will be the first card i apply for after i close on the new mortgage. hopefully by then my score will have increased by 15 points or so. good luck to you!

3/2024
FICO 8

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.