Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t get in with NFCU

tag
jonnyc
Regular Contributor

Can’t get in with NFCU

Almost 1 year post discharge, applied for NFCU goRewards and was an instant decline. Overall utilization is 35%. They pulled TU which was 630. I tried recon but no go.

Denial letter came and these were the reasons:

- UTILIZATION OF REVOLVING ACCOUNT CREDIT LINES IN LAST 3 MONTHS
- NUMBER OF DELINQUENT PAST OR PRESENT CREDIT OBLIGATIONS
- NUMBER OF INQUIRIES ON CREDIT BUREAU REPORT
- LIMITED CREDIT EXPERIENCE

The only one that seems relevant is inquiries, I have 20 on TU 4 in last 6 months. From what I’ve read Navy isn’t Inq sensitivitie. I saw on here that they deny before 1 year of discharge but the reason given would be bankruptcy.

My navy score was 195. Do you think I should wait till next month when it’s 1 year? Or is this not the case? Not sure how to pursue navy or how to raise my internal score.
Bk Chp. 7 Discharged 04/13/2018
Date of filing: 01/11/2018
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can’t get in with NFCU

Wait about 6 months and try again. But do it when your util shows 10% or less. They will let you in sooner or later.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can see the concern, just under a year from discharge and you’re at 35% utilization. If I developed an internal score for a lender I would Score you low as well. I’m not trying to be critical or judgmental, just giving a view from the outside that may help you. I concur with waiting, more like 3-6 months though and at least until you get utilization under 10%.
Message 3 of 11
McNugget
Regular Contributor

@jonnyc wrote:
Almost 1 year post discharge, applied for NFCU goRewards and was an instant decline. Overall utilization is 35%. They pulled TU which was 630. I tried recon but no go.

The only one that seems relevant is inquiries, I have 20 on TU 4 in last 6 months. From what I’ve read Navy isn’t Inq sensitivitie. I saw on here that they deny before 1 year of discharge but the reason given would be bankruptcy.

My navy score was 195. Do you think I should wait till next month when it’s 1 year? Or is this not the case? Not sure how to pursue navy or how to raise my internal score.

All of their reasons for denial seem pretty relevant, to be honest.  I think time to let some of those inquiries and delinquents drop off will help, obviously paying down some of the utilization as well.

| Amex BCP | BoA Cash Rewards | Cap1 QS | Cap1 SavorOne | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Citi DC | Citi Simplicity | Discover It Cash Back | JCrew | USB Cash+ | Target (AU) |
Message 4 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@jonnyc wrote:

20 inqs equate to desperately seeking credit. And you’re newly post discharge ar 35% UT. Theae 3 things are not good. Focus on creating a good credit profile. That means getting UT less than 8.9% and stop applying for credits. IMHO, I suggest waiting a year before applying for anything. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 11
3se7ens
Frequent Contributor

I joined NFCU in Sep.'17,  by Jan.'18 I applied for the same cc you did and was denied.
The first thing I did was get my util. down as low as I can as fast as I can. (10% is good, 1% is Ideal)
The second thing was put my entire income tax refund of $2,500 into my share acct. and started
a direct deposit to let NFCU I was serious about building a fruitful relationship.
Then in March '18 they approved me for the NFCU Signature Cash Rewards $5,000.
It will happend, be patient and keep at it. Good luck! Smiley Wink

As of 3/2022

EQ.-721  |  TU.-731  |  EX.-708

Top Cards:

AmEx Gold - $10,000 POT. BofA Americard $17,000 NFCU CR. $16,000 NFCU Plat.$15,000 FNBO Visa $14,800

Disco Miles $14,000 Chase FU $13,900 USAA Signature $13,000  PayPal MC $10,000 

Macy's AmEx $25,000 Macy's AmEx (upgraded) $25,000

Message 6 of 11
jonnyc
Regular Contributor

Does depositing in my share account increase my internal score? I know they offer a secured card but, I’m not looking to add a second to my wallet right now. I’m not in a rush to get in with NFCU however, it would be nice.
Bk Chp. 7 Discharged 04/13/2018
Date of filing: 01/11/2018
Message 7 of 11
3se7ens
Frequent Contributor

@jonnyc wrote:
Does depositing in my share account increase my internal score? I know they offer a secured card but, I’m not looking to add a second to my wallet right now. I’m not in a rush to get in with NFCU however, it would be nice.

I have no idea what the formula is to get their internal score. But what I do know is after
I put money into my share acct. and started a direct deposit my luck changed.

As of 3/2022

EQ.-721  |  TU.-731  |  EX.-708

Top Cards:

AmEx Gold - $10,000 POT. BofA Americard $17,000 NFCU CR. $16,000 NFCU Plat.$15,000 FNBO Visa $14,800

Disco Miles $14,000 Chase FU $13,900 USAA Signature $13,000  PayPal MC $10,000 

Macy's AmEx $25,000 Macy's AmEx (upgraded) $25,000

Message 8 of 11
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@jonnyc wrote:

I can only imagine how many inqs you have on EQ and EX. I disagree with the above posters.  If it were me, Id garden for a minimum of 1 full year starting TODAY.  Stop apping.  Youre only hurting yourself

=== Intervention over ====

Good luck

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 11
rbentley
Established Contributor

@3se7ens wrote:

@jonnyc wrote:

I have no idea what the formula is to get their internal score. But what I do know is after
I put money into my share acct. and started a direct deposit my luck changed.

Navy CSR's have told me that there is a wall between banking and credit.  The existence of a checking account and direct deposit with them does not factor into credit decisions.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.