Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI Offer?

tag
SirMilo
Regular Contributor

Capital One CLI Offer?

Hello All,

I  can't believe that I have to ask this question but in my own defense, this has never happened before.

Cap1 has denied me a CLI every time that i've requested one over the last 17 years and I had given up asking years ago. The lack of CLIs was not totally unexpected since my card was issued in 2006 after filing for bankruptcy, which included a loss for Cap1.Just for kicks, I decided to again request a small (but over 10%) CLI in an attempt get this card up to a piddly $1500 limit around 3 months ago with the same immediate denial that i've been seeing for years. I've kept this card since it is my oldest account by an additional 10 years now that my mortgage has fallen off of my credit reports. Back in 2006, the interest rate was terrible on the card but by todays standards, it has no FTFs and a great interest rate, not that it matters since I don't carry balances any longer.

I've been showing the card some fairly significant love for the last 3 months and today, Cap1 sent me an email saying that I have a $3K credit limit increase offer available. The email has quite a few basic FAQ's about the offer but nowhere does it mention how to take advantage of said CLI offer. I've been all over my Cap1 account in a web browser but nowhere is this offer mentioned and I don't use the app so i'm a bit confused on how to proceed.

The question is, how do I accept this offer? Thanks.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One CLI Offer?

@SirMilo wrote:

The question is, how do I accept this offer? Thanks.

i want to -- view offers and upgrades?

if there's no link in the email, just try requesting a CLI for that amount?

Starting FICO 8:
Current FICO 8:

0/6, 3/12, 10/24
Message 2 of 15
SirMilo
Regular Contributor

@GZG  ,

The first place I checked was offers and upgrades and I have 2 items there but nothing about this CLI offer. I had my phone in my hand when this email came through and saw no active links to anything besides FAQs and a download the app link but nothing about how to accept the offer. It wouldn't be the first time I had info not show on mobile email so after posting this, I checked email through the browser instead of mobile mail but there is definitely no link for acceptance.  The strange part when reading through the email, I see this:  

Periodically, we evaluate customers for credit limit increases, reviewing factors like on-time payments for responsible credit behavior. As a result of that review, we’d like to increase your credit limit. If you don’t want this credit limit increase, there is no need to respond to this offer and we won’t apply the credit limit increase to your account.

It clearly wants my interaction to accept the offer, I simply have no clue what it wants me to do. Having said this, I am extremely apprehensive to hit the luv button unless others agree since nothing good has ever occured when i've hit it. I do appreciate the response though. Thank you.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Strange. When I got an automatic CLI from Cap1 a couple months ago, there was nothing to accept. They just increased my CLI, and sent me an email letting me know. The text of the email included a note that said if I don't want the CLI, I should call them at 1‑800‑CAPITAL (1‑800‑227‑4825). You could try that.

Or you could check documents. All my CLI denials showed up as letters in documents.

Message 4 of 15
SirMilo
Regular Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

Strange. When I got an automatic CLI from Cap1 a couple months ago, there was nothing to accept. They just increased my CLI, and sent me an email letting me know. The text of the email included a note that said if I don't want the CLI, I should call them at 1‑800‑CAPITAL (1‑800‑227‑4825). You could try that.

Or you could check documents. All my CLI denials showed up as letters in documents.

I did check documents also and I saw the denials but nothing else. In the OP I had mentioned that I had requested a CLI around 3 months ago but I was mistaken. I requested one about 6 weeks ago after putting some heavy spend on the card , which was denied, and that is the last entry in documents. I read around here somewhere, and it could have very well been a post of yours if your auto CLI was fairly recent, that Cap1 was currently being generous with auto CLIs when throwing heavy spend on the card. Again, my card was a bucketed Platinum Visa that started coming with the benefits of a QS1 quite a few years ago. My card still says Visa Platinum and not QS1 though- another weird anomoly I suppose. 

I decided to call Cap1 and ask what needed to happen. The CSR that I talked to made it sound like I needed to request the increase through the "Request CLI" option. I tried that and instead of the immediate denial (for once), it offered me $150. Needless to say, I exited and declined the increase since the email (shown below) states that the offer is void if I have had a recent CLI. I guess Cap1 is just toying with my emotions at this point since the FAQ's in the email mention the offer was made with a soft pull and nothing has changed on my reports in over a year. The following picture is the body of the email I received and anything that followed has no relevant info to the topic of the email. Did your email look like this?

Cap1 Offer.jpg

Message 5 of 15
SirMilo
Regular Contributor

I decided to go ahead and call Cap1 and ask... it seemed like the obvious way to go at this point. The CSR I talked to made it sound like all I needed to go to the "Request CLI" and put in the new amount. I asked for the additional $3K and rather than an instant denial as usual, it offered me $150. Needless to say, I cancelled the request since that would disqualify me from accepting the better offer.

I did just notice something concerning a date on this email and maybe anyone who has received an auto CLI can answer this- I notice that it shows 1250-4250 May30,2023 (see pic below). Does this mean that it will be changing automatically on that date or is it some kind of "accept by" date? The date appears to be totally random since it is neither the last day of May nor is it my statement or due date.

The email is vague and provides no explanation. It says only that I have an offer for a CLI, not that I have received a CLI. This is the extent of the useful info on the email, everything else is FAQs and general Cap1 info. @Anonymalous did your email look like this?

Cap1 Offer.jpg

Message 6 of 15
GZG
Valued Contributor

@SirMilo wrote:

I decided to go ahead and call Cap1 and ask... it seemed like the obvious way to go at this point. The CSR I talked to made it sound like all I needed to go to the "Request CLI" and put in the new amount. I asked for the additional $3K and rather than an instant denial as usual, it offered me $150. Needless to say, I cancelled the request since that would disqualify me from accepting the better offer.

I did just notice something concerning a date on this email and maybe anyone who has received an auto CLI can answer this- I notice that it shows 1250-4250 May30,2023 (see pic below). Does this mean that it will be changing automatically on that date or is it some kind of "accept by" date? The date appears to be totally random since it is neither the last day of May nor is it my statement or due date.

The email is vague and provides no explanation. It says only that I have an offer for a CLI, not that I have received a CLI. This is the extent of the useful info on the email, everything else is FAQs and general Cap1 info. @Anonymalous did your email look like this?

Cap1 Offer.jpg

without seeing the whole email, personal info redacted, I'm not sure anybody would know because I've never personally seen what that email looks like 

any chance it could be a phishing email?

Starting FICO 8:
Current FICO 8:

0/6, 3/12, 10/24
Message 7 of 15
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

You might be right, it could be phishing. Are the hyperlinks suspicious?

Because this is what my email looked like (top part only):

cap1.jpg

Message 8 of 15
SirMilo
Regular Contributor

Since you mentioned seeing the whole email, I have redacted personal info and posted it as 3 pictures since i'm too obtuse to know how to make them a single picture. I'm pretty sure it isn't a phishing notice but I always treat emails as such, especially when it comes to financial info. If it's a phishing email, they don't really need me to do much since my account info as well as my full name as used on my account are in this email. If it is a phish, they could be looking for is sign in info but again, I NEVER sign in to ANY account using an email link. I never clicked on anything other than the + marks next to the FAQs and nothing really looked suspect. The rep (at 1-800-Capital) seemed to confirm that he showed an offer on his end when I called. Here is what I saw in my email and Apple seems to indicate the digital signature is legitimate. 

Cap1 email address.jpg

Cap1.jpg

Cap1-2.jpg

Cap1-3.jpg

Message 9 of 15
GZG
Valued Contributor

@SirMilo wrote:

Cap1.jpg

Cap1-2.jpg

Cap1-3.jpg

email looks like it's borked, like there's a button or some text missing or it was sent in error or something

I'm surprised you only had a $250 CLI availbile when you requested one 

Starting FICO 8:
Current FICO 8:

0/6, 3/12, 10/24
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.