cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AAdvantage Invitation Code = Prequal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi AAdvantage Invitation Code = Prequal?

I fly AA a bit, so this would be an advantageous card for me to have.  I have every intention of getting it some day.  Today, I received an e-mail from AA with an invitation code to apply for the AAdvantage Platinum Select with a 50,000 mile bonus offer.  Is that a pre-qualification for the card or is it just a "Oh, we see you're a frequent flier -- apply for this card you MIGHT get!"?

I'm in the garden at the moment, though, so I'm not interested in applying for new cards for another few months, at least.  Just curious.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi AAdvantage Invitation Code = Prequal?

The code is simply tied to an "invitation to apply" marketing solicitation similar to "pre-selected" ones that are usually sent from a third party provider on behalf of Citi and the AAdvantage program.  It is not a pre-approved or pre-qualified offer.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

The code is simply tied to an "invitation to apply" marketing solicitation similar to "pre-selected" ones that are usually sent from a third party provider on behalf of Citi and the AAdvantage program.  It is not a pre-approved or pre-qualified offer.

Figured as much. Smiley Happy All good.  AMEX is prequalifying the crap outta me right now.  Maybe I'll just get that Delta Gold in a couple of months instead. 

Message 3 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Keeping in mind, all things considered, if your profile is strong enough (or fairly solid), there's nothing that would prevent you from applying through one of these "invites" and still able to get an approval.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep gardening and resist the temptation of an invitation e-mail (or two, or three or several...) When it really gets interesting is when they send you the pre-selected invitation mailers with a fixed APR and the sign-up bonus is higher than the offer on the site.  That's how I got trapped! Smiley LOL

If you have elite status with AA already, you can be patient - the travel perks with status are better than what you'd get with the Platinum Select.  The card does, however, come with the suite of Citi purchase and travel benefits that have few peers, so when you really think hard about applying just make sure the overall product meets your needs.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep getting an email for 60k +5k offer for the platinum select with an “exclusive” reservation code. No 24 month language. Too bad I don’t really fly much unless I need to go to a funeral, so not much use to me.

I would try the citi prequalified link and see if anything comes up there before you apply.
Message 6 of 12
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Figured as much. Smiley Happy All good.  AMEX is prequalifying the crap outta me right now.  Maybe I'll just get that Delta Gold in a couple of months instead. 

Very smart to check here first before wasting a HP like I had!

However, if you were interested in it, and knew you were rapidly increasing your scores over the next few months, I would suggest joining Citi’s FICO score card. Free and only tracks for 90 days. However, I was able to get preapproval through that instead of getting of Citi’s website preapprovals area. Go figure! Once I got all of Citi cards showing (including AA gold) I went after Citi Costco first (at the warehouse) where I app/approved.  Two weeks later I went after AAdvantage Platinum and was approved. 

I did this right after we closed on our house so my scores were pretty sweet to now. However the technique might help you out. 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 7 of 12
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

@SomewhereIn505 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

However, if you were interested in it, and knew you were rapidly increasing your scores over the next few months, I would suggest joining Citi’s FICO score card. Free and only tracks for 90 days. However, I was able to get preapproval through that instead of getting of Citi’s website preapprovals area. Go figure! Once I got all of Citi cards showing (including AA gold) I went after Citi Costco first (at the warehouse) where I app/approved.  Two weeks later I went after AAdvantage Platinum and was approved. 

I did this right after we closed on our house so my scores were pretty sweet to now. However the technique might help you out. 

Unfortunately, Citi no longer offers its FICO scorecard (unless you already have a card and then they offer a free FICO score). 

Message 8 of 12
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@Drwaz99 wrote:

@SomewhereIn505 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Unfortunately, Citi no longer offers its FICO scorecard (unless you already have a card and then they offer a free FICO score). 

Boo Citi! Sorry OP! I hoped this would have helped you out!

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 9 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

To put things in context with these Citi AA mailers, both physical and email,  my dog gets them. 

The real value comes from physical mailings with a 9 digit code and no 24 month language.   Those can be used (nowadays, only once) even the applicant was not the original recipient of the mailer and they bypass the normal 24 month bonus restrictions. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.