Asked for CLI on 5/2020 - SL raised to $15,900

All were SP

Current balance $0

Multiple current  BT offers

Current Fico from Citi 803

Ive opened 10 cards since this Citi card 

Inquiries are high, especially on EX 

Income under 75k

Citi has been good to me.  WF also has been steady with CLIs.  Meanwhile BofA will not give me a CLI.  

Your experience will not be that of Ops. Every profile is different. If Op already spent 20k , he is fulfilling high spend requirement but Citi is not liking sonething not to offer sp. I havent gotten any cli from Citi in years, sp or hp. 

@Harvey26  only real route to go is get them to hp, plead you case with your recent history and tell them why you need more.   Good luck 👍 

Message 11 of 25
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi CLI?

I realize all profiles are different. 

My intent in providing DPs was to show that Citi will give CLIs to people with lots of inquiries even if we don't spend much.  IOW if you are reading this and are discouraged by OPs situation know that it might be different for you.

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 12 of 25
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@KatSoDak I did recieve a CLI initially which was an additonal HP but they would only go up to an extra 5K and I have been stuck ever since. Will try calling and speaking with a manager and see what happens

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 13 of 25
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Not sure this applies to you, but IME, they *said* they were denying my CLI requests for too many new accounts, but I also happened to be carrying a balance on my Citi cards (don't remeber the amount... maybe $2k?). When I paid that down to zero, they immediately started approving CLI's, despite the fact that my new accounts were still present. 

In my experience, they are stuck on giving you a single reason for the denial even though it is not actually the reason.  Lately they've been denying me for "too many recent inquiries" even though my number of recent inquiries is less than what it was when they were granting me a CLI every 6 months.  I'm sure the real reason is that I presently have significantly higher revolving utilization.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 14 of 25
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

@Harvey26 wrote:

@KatSoDak I did recieve a CLI initially which was an additonal HP but they would only go up to an extra 5K and I have been stuck ever since. Will try calling and speaking with a manager and see what happens

Well at least you know they will give you a CLI. Maybe it's just a matter of time before you get another. Maybe a manager can speed things along.  

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many new accounts in 3/6/12 months? Citi can indeed be sensitive to new accounts and inquiries when you ask for a CLI. After my three card spree this month I'm expecting to not be able to get a CLI from them for 6 more months. 

Message 16 of 25
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

I've never seen that before. Do you have any other new cards in the last 12 months? Some banks like BofA and Disco pulled that on me last year based on my profile. I'd gotten three new cards around the same time. I know this because other users reported getting CLI prior to the new card turning 12 months old.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 17 of 25
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous 31/12 for inqs and 6/12 for accounts.

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Harvey26 wrote:

@Anonymous 31/12 for inqs and 6/12 for accounts.

Yeah I would expect them to open up after some gardening time. 31/12 is a lot of credit seeking. How many of those 6 new accounts in the last 6 months? My experience with them so far has shown they care much more about that 6 months than they do 12 or 24. 

Message 19 of 25
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous So I am 6/6 and yeah the inquires came from refinancing car and was going to refinance home but deciding to sell and go to another city. But no more accounts for me I guess I will garden until the end of the year and see if anything changes might still give phone call a shot. 

@ 1.74
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.