Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank double cash back pre-approved mailers vs. pre-qualified site

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citibank double cash back pre-approved mailers vs. pre-qualified site

I got a pre-approval mailer last week from Citibank for their double cash back card with 19.99 set APR. I trashed the offer because I was just approved last month for a Discover card with 12K SL and 13% apr. My husband just texted me that another mailer came in from them. I’m wondering if the APR will be lower on latest mailer.

Anyway my question is why are they sending me pre-approved mailers but when I go to their pre-qualified site it say they cannot match me with any offers. Is that a sign that I will still be declined if I go for the mailer offer?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: Citibank double cash back pre-approved mailers vs. pre-qualified site

You may be getting pre-approved/qualified offers based on where you live, income (possibly), or many other things that factor into it. Always take a pre-approved/qualified offer with a grain of salt. I often get mailers as well but unless the card has a benefit to me, I don't bother.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess they have my info because I use to bank with them 7 years ago though I don’t know how they have my new address. Only been here for 2 year in December.  

I won't apply because I don't need  2 new cards with similar rewards. I was just really surprised by the mailer because their site has shown no love.

I wondering if there are any others with the same situation. Please share!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have gotten the Citi Double Cash mailer once a month for 5 months now. I also don't show any pre approval on their site. I clicked to apply in August, instant denial. lol Still getting those stupid mailer. lol

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

**bleep**! That is not cool.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

**bleep**! That is not cool.

According to the mailer, the approval rate is something like 4 out of 5. Fixed 19.99% APR. 

Oh well, I don't really need for a 2% cash back card anymore. lol

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the preapproved mailers, about 3 of them I think back in July and August. On the day when 1 Citi DC card mailer and one Thank you Preferred card mailer arrived on the same day I figured I'd bite, the worse they can say is no, and I'll be super annoyed that I wasted a hard pull on that foolishness. (I NEVER had any pre-approvals showing on their site).  But it was approved, tiny SL, and now I'm working on meeting the spend requirement for $100 cash back (gotta spend $500 by December 12..which will be easy as I'm paying all of November's regular household bills on it). 

Sometimes the mailers are legitimately cool beans! Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

An item to keep in mind OP, there's a bit of a difference in pre-selected vs pre-approved. Most Citi mailers are typically pre-selected marketing invitations to apply and would display similar language in the context of a single APR.

In either case, no guarantee of approval since most of these PRM offers will still be subject to review once you submit the application. That being said, if your profile is solid or optimal, then your chances of approval would be pretty good.
Message 8 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a pre-approval mailer last week from Citibank for their double cash back card with 19.99 set APR. I trashed the offer because I was just approved last month for a Discover card with 12K SL and 13% apr. My husband just texted me that another mailer came in from them. I’m wondering if the APR will be lower on latest mailer.

Anyway my question is why are they sending me pre-approved mailers but when I go to their pre-qualified site it say they cannot match me with any offers. Is that a sign that I will still be declined if I go for the mailer offer?

While I am a Disco fangirl, it's only 2% cash back on general purchases during the first year. After that, non quarterly spend is 1%. 

If you think Citi app is a bit risky, you may want to try Synch Paypal 2% cash back card. 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update! 

The second mailer my husband told be about had the APR of 19.99. Yesterday I received another mailer that had a rate of 16.99!! BWT the wording was pre-selected not pre-approved. I still will not apply.

Also still not approved for any cards on the site.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.