Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Citi and BoA

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Considering Citi and BoA

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the BOA card! Do you not get an EX score with your Amex?

Thank you my friend!  Smiley Very Happy

I'm one of the ones still patiently (impatiently?) waiting on my Amex score to update this month.  My SPs are generally at the first of the month with the website being updated a week or so later, so this month they are running late (at least with me).  Last month the SP was on April 2 and was a 718 with the baddie still there, so I'm expecting a modest bump this time around. 

I'm also eligible to try for a CLI on my BCP again, but I'm waiting for that score to update just in case (it might not matter, but since it's a three month wait I'm not chancing it).  I've already been told 'no' four times (always denied due to the old account IIBK 16 years ago) so I'm not too hopeful.  I'm actually considering going for the Delta Gold with the intention of using it as a 'donor' card in 13 months (I have no use for SkyMiles).  My plans are on hold either way until I get that darn update... maybe tomorrow!  Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on those awesome scores and your BOA approval!  Woman Very Happy   I can say Citi is weird.  You just never know.  I've had two for 18 months now and app'd for the Thank You Preferred about 10 days ago and still waiting to hear from them!  Said they need to verify a couple of things.  I'm not too concerned since my DC got caught by a gas station skimmer 3 weeks ago and they charged about 450.00 on it before I caught it.  I don't think Citi would blacklist you from 16 yrs ago.  

Message 22 of 31
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

UncleB if you're out of the garden why not try for Blispay or Fidelity Visa?

Excellent suggestions, my friend!  Smiley Wink

I've actually thought about both of those (great minds think alike!) but I'm still mulling them over.  The Fidelity I considered since I know Elan can be sensitive to new inquiries and accounts, and I'm probably right at the edge of what they will accept (the Citi and BoA apps might have put me over their limit... it would be a 'throw of the dice' I figure).  I am looking for cards to keep for the long haul, but other than the 2% cash back Fidelity seems to be rather basic.  Part of me wants to app since I know I might have a hard time getting it later, but the other part of me feels it's pointless to app for a card "just because", so I'm still on the fence.

As for Blispay, I'm actually looking at that one as well.  I know it's thought of as a "flavor of the month" but the six month free financing really does look good, and I can think of several scenarios in which it would be helpful.  Since I am 'out of the garden' and when I return it will likely be for a while, I'm trying to make it count!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 23 of 31
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on those awesome scores and your BOA approval!  Woman Very Happy   I can say Citi is weird.  You just never know.  I've had two for 18 months now and app'd for the Thank You Preferred about 10 days ago and still waiting to hear from them!  Said they need to verify a couple of things.  I'm not too concerned since my DC got caught by a gas station skimmer 3 weeks ago and they charged about 450.00 on it before I caught it.  I don't think Citi would blacklist you from 16 yrs ago.  

Thanks so much!  Smiley Very Happy

I hope you're right... while I'm not 'desperate' for the card (I have others I could use for the balance transfer, which isn't significant anyway) it would be nice to be back "in" with them after the events all those years ago.  Back then they were always really solid... if only things had turned out differently that card would be 24 years old now!  (yep, I'm nearing geezer status... LOL).

Thanks for telling me your own experience... I was hoping to know something either way by tomorrow, but perhaps I should adjust my expectations a bit.  Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 31
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you fly AA, go for it! 

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't fly very often so an airline card would be of little use to me (other than the Amex Delta, but that would be for a different purpose altogether). 

I agree, though, for someone who flies AA often the AA card would be a good one to consider!  Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 31
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Well, I decided to stop studying about it and just pull the trigger...

I went for the Citi card first... it's gone to review.  Smiley Indifferent

They emailed me a link to check the status, and it says it can take up to a week, but to check back after 24 hours.  I don't know if this is just 'routine' or if something from the past is coming back to haunt me.  Either way I'm actually OK with my decision to app... if it turns out they are holding the old account that was IIBK 16 years ago against me, I might as well know about it so I can move on.  I would prefer to know in any case, so the HP(s) will be worth it even if it doesn't work out.

As for the Bank of American BBR, I got approved!  The SL is $6k.  It makes the uncertainty from the Citi app worth the suspense.  Smiley Very Happy

(Am I the only one who gets nervous while the apps are processing?  I swear I can feel my heart beat...)

I'll let you guys know what happens with the Citi app, but I give it 50/50. 

I hope Citi works out for you, and I would find it to be a total bummer if they kept you on their blacklist. I also IIB Citi in my BK7 back in 2007. They took me back with the DC, instantly approved for $9.5k at about 8.5 years out from filing (last October). I still am not eligible for their SP CLI, but I was happy to be able to get back with them.

Congrats on BoA!

Message 26 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nicely done UB!!  Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

They emailed me a link to check the status, and it says it can take up to a week, but to check back after 24 hours.  I don't know if this is just 'routine' or if something from the past is coming back to haunt me.  Either way I'm actually OK with my decision to app... if it turns out they are holding the old account that was IIBK 16 years ago against me, I might as well know about it so I can move on.  I would prefer to know in any case, so the HP(s) will be worth it even if it doesn't work out.

As for the Bank of American BBR, I got approved!  The SL is $6k.  It makes the uncertainty from the Citi app worth the suspense.  Smiley Very Happy

(Am I the only one who gets nervous while the apps are processing?  I swear I can feel my heart beat...)

I'm so happy for you UncleBSmiley Happy. I hope everything works out with Citi. If not, BoA has some really good BT offers right now. Sometimes the BT line has better offers so check with them before you make your final decision.

Message 28 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Finally! He apps!  Lol.  Glad your last baddie fell off!  That is a great starting limit with BOA. I envision it tripled in 6-12 mos easily!!!

Now, I will say that just because the BBR has 0 for 12, they will continue to send you checks and they are often times for longer than 12 months.  So in the future its always helpful.  U should app for a 2nd BBR!

Agree 100%

Message 29 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Finally! He apps!  Lol.  Glad your last baddie fell off!  That is a great starting limit with BOA. I envision it tripled in 6-12 mos easily!!!

Now, I will say that just because the BBR has 0 for 12, they will continue to send you checks and they are often times for longer than 12 months.  So in the future its always helpful.  U should app for a 2nd BBR!

Yep, I'm a bit slow sometimes! LOL

I did a thread over in approvals for the BBR:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Bank-of-America-BBR-Approved/td-p/4596444

And you read my mind... I already planned on going for another one towards the end of the year!  Smiley LOL

I'll keep this thread here until I have a final status on the Citi Diamond Preferred... there's still (a little) hope <fingers crossed>. 

Me too!

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.