Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover 2nd (second) card app thread

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover 2nd ( second) card app thread

Omg, I cant believe Disco isnt butterSmiley Wink

Wow, CC, I truly am sorry that's insane. Good thinking on getting it declined while on phone. Normally I'd say 1k can be great for someone starting out but you are established as is your profile.

Discover is weird where many of us get hit with AJC cli specials while others get offered 12k increases, boggles the mind how it gets decided. Truly a magic 8ballSmiley Happy
Message 91 of 431
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sabil, no one really knows what limit is achievable for each person. All you can do is try until you finally receive notice you are maxed or need to provide POI. Discover is truely a YMMV card if ever there was one.
Message 92 of 431
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Im going from memory here. but hitting 30k and higher. So this is a very YMMV.... What happened to the MFicoer was they were required to verify employment.... Discover asked to call their employer... in their case, since they were self employed.. He picked up the phone.. and basically he got the CLI above 30k... Do not recall them requiring an IRS form,  nor paystubs... but in general I haven't heard of Discover asking for the IRS form...  Might require more POI but that was how it rolled with the MyFico'er...

-J

Message 93 of 431
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Omg, I cant believe Disco isnt butterSmiley Wink

Wow, CC, I truly am sorry that's insane. Good thinking on getting it declined while on phone. Normally I'd say 1k can be great for someone starting out but you are established as is your profile.

Discover is weird where many of us get hit with AJC cli specials while others get offered 12k increases, boggles the mind how it gets decided. Truly a magic 8ballSmiley Happy

Feel like I'm in the former with Discover. Hopefully I'll be in the latter with nfcu.

Message 94 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. I applied for the second today, so I'll add mine. 

1st Discover (~1.5 yrs): SL ~$17k
CLI (SP): $4k, $5k, $6k  

2nd Discover: SL $3k 
FICOs: 735-750, 1% util, PIF
I had a slight hope of getting around a HP with the pre-approval but no such luck. I'm planning to reallocate part of the 1st to the 2nd. 
EDIT: CLI (SP): $4k, $4k, $1k, $6k
Message 95 of 431
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I was kinda expecting a possible 5K approval but that was totally a wild .... guess... 

Got to wait before you reallocate... but I think youve seen that in this thread...

Plus one account has to be eligible for a CLI, and the "new" card has to be at least 3 months old......

As an aside before you combine it, also remember that youll likely have the "double cashback" offer on the new card.. but to take advantage of it, you need to keep it for a year.....Perhaps keep it around, rinse and repeat, and you might even get some CLI growth on the new line...

Edit: didnt see your reference to basically shifting to the new card... For some reason i thought you were doing it the other way. Actually will work better.. still have to wait the 3mo and for a CLI offer......

And the Pizza1 thread on it...

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/DISCOVER-COMBINED-LIMITS-SUCCESS/td-p/5093628

As an aside.. you usually can get the eligible CLI in addition to the combination.. but as always YMMV

Message 96 of 431
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info. I applied for the second today, so I'll add mine. 

1st Discover (~1.5 yrs): SL ~$17k

CLI (SP): $4k, $5k, $6k  

2nd Discover: SL $3k 

FICOs: 735-750, 1% util, PIF

I had a slight hope of getting around a HP with the pre-approval but no such luck. I'm planning to reallocate part of the 1st to the 2nd. 

Congrats Sabii Smiley Happy. Did they offer double cash back? I can never escape the hp fairy eitherSmiley Wink

Message 97 of 431
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

1st Discover It card opened :

June 2017 HP TU Fico 623 - $200 secured card

CLI to $500 upon graduation after 8th statement cut

CLI to $1200 three months later; current limit

(Two collection accounts still showing at application time, both since removed.)

2nd Discover It card opened:

June 2018 HP EX Fico 701 SL - $2500

0% 14 month BT offer w/3% fee

Double cashback promo offered again

Only baddies 2-90 lates on student loans in August 2015

- Vehicle refinance & personal loan 5 months old. 

Yeah, I decided not to wait. 😛

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 98 of 431
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Adkins wrote:

(Two collection accounts still showing at application time, both since removed.)

Congrats, Adkins! 

Not to derail the convo, but on topic of Disco and HP...my husband got IT in November with a soft pull. Five days ago, a HP shows up on EQ dated 11/28/17.  Add HP to taxes and death in the *unavoidable* category. 

Message 99 of 431
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

Congrats, Adkins! 

Not to derail the convo, but on topic of Disco and HP...my husband got IT in November with a soft pull. Five days ago, a HP shows up on EQ dated 11/28/17.  Add HP to taxes and death in the *unavoidable* category. 

How rude! The HP showed up right away. I actually don't mind it because I got a card out of it! And thanks for the congratulations!

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 100 of 431
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.