Re: Discover 2nd ( second) card app thread

Awesome SabiiSmiley Happy.Enjoy your new cashSmiley Happy
Message 111 of 431
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Adkins wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Discover IT that I opened on Sep. 27, 2017. I'm thinking of getting a Miles in Oct. Are there any DP's on waiting longer to open the second card? I'm really trying to maximize my SL.

You usually have to wait a year to apply for a second card. Generally if you apply too soon, its an automatic denial (but no HP). I couldn't get any pre-qualified cards to show up two weeks ago, but I had several a few days ago. It's been about a year since I opened my first card. 

Weird thing happened not too long ago. Was bored and tried the pre-qual page. Still haven't hit 1 year for first card. Received a 7-10 day notice. Basically received a denial letter in the mail. Don't remember what the reason was, but it wasn't major. It did state that it wasn't a credit app and no hard pull was done. Prior to getting my first card, the website would just say they couldn't find any offers.

Message 112 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover 2nd (second) card app thread

I opened my first Discover IT in Dec. 2016 with a sl of $1k @20.99 apr. I was able to get the limit up to $4.5k with a few sp clis, the largest being $1.5K. There were many (so many, I stopped counting) denials in that process.  In Feb 2018 after reading the forums, I checked the preapprovals and saw I had a preapproval with 18% apr and 14 months 0%. I also saw on the forums that it was possible to have another IT card with better sl and terms (YMMV). I checked the prequals a couple of times and noticed the apr dropped to 13.24%.  I pulled the trigger and received a message to call them to complete my application. I called and after verifying I actually applied, I was rewarded with a whopping $1k sl (wth) on the second card. It did have a decent apr, 14 mos. 0% and best of all; the cashback match and as of this writing no hp.

My 3rd statement cut on 6/4. Yesterday 6/7, I checked for a cli and saw I had a $2k offer.  So I called the number on the back of the card a requested a limit reallocation and was transferred to a credit manager.  The manger said I would have to accept the $2k cli before I would be eligible for a reallocation and in doing so the first card would be closed. I asked if the cli would affect my rellaocation and if an hp was required.  He said no to both questions.  For the allocation, I was asked the exact questions asked when requesting an online cli.  I answered the questions and received the $4.5k limit transfer from the first card to my second card as well as $2k cli which raised my limit from $1k to $7.5k. The whole process took 13 minutes.  I'm happy with the outcome.  I got a wild hair and tried a modified double dip via online request just now and received a 2 days message.  I doubt I'll have any success with the DD, but it was my first 2 days msg, I usually get an instant denial or the rare approval.

Message 113 of 431
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Awesome job iblitz25Smiley Happy excellent data points good luck on the cliSmiley Happy
Message 114 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

The third statement on my 2nd Discover will cut later this month (due date is the 20th). With all the activity I've been putting on it for groceries this quarter (made a big payment last month and will schedule another one for the 20th), I do have some hopes for something to happen when I click the button, or even an auto-CLI. We'll see.

Message 115 of 431
joltdude
Senior Contributor

if your aiming for an auto-cli. it doesnt always (or usually) IMHO happen on the statement cut.. usually in the few days to a week after. 

You can always hulksmash the CLI button at that point....but id give it 3 days, more if its over a weekend from the statement cut date

Message 116 of 431
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Discover IT that I opened on Sep. 27, 2017. I'm thinking of getting a Miles in Oct. Are there any DP's on waiting longer to open the second card? I'm really trying to maximize my SL.

You usually have to wait a year to apply for a second card. Generally if you apply too soon, its an automatic denial (but no HP). I couldn't get any pre-qualified cards to show up two weeks ago, but I had several a few days ago. It's been about a year since I opened my first card. 

Weird thing happened not too long ago. Was bored and tried the pre-qual page. Still haven't hit 1 year for first card. Received a 7-10 day notice. Basically received a denial letter in the mail. Don't remember what the reason was, but it wasn't major. It did state that it wasn't a credit app and no hard pull was done. Prior to getting my first card, the website would just say they couldn't find any offers.

Yup, that's exactly what would happen to me, too. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 117 of 431
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Adkins wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder why they're doing that. Guess its just a generic answer because we're ineligible? They could just not show anything available like Cap1 does and not do a HP if you apply like Amex.

Message 118 of 431
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same answer for my second when I tried the pre-qualification page right after my CLI (tech after the denial when I hit up the page a second time) for my first card. They pulled my lowest score but still well into the 700's. The offers right before my CLI were going.

I waited a month and this time I had the offer for another It and It Chrome on the table.

It's confusing because they aren't exactly clear what is causing the denial, but it seems it can be something very temporary.
Message 119 of 431
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Adkins wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder why they're doing that. Guess its just a generic answer because we're ineligible? They could just not show anything available like Cap1 does and not do a HP if you apply like Amex.

That's my guess. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 120 of 431
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.