cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI Denial (insufficient experience with CL)

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Discover CLI Denial (insufficient experience with CL)

Last week I tried for another Discover CLI. I've been going the card a decent amount of use.  $1K-$3K most months. I then either PIF before the statement closes or I let the balance report then PIF before the due date. I'm currently at $9700. I was very confidence that I'd receive an increase that would put me over the $10K mark.  Nope, nothing...  was denied! 

I received a thin enveope from Discover today. A single piece of paper told me I was denied because of insufficient experience with my current credit limit. I had been requesting increases every every 3-4 statements (sometimes sooner).

This is my increase history - 

Opened account - 1/31/18 - $6000.00

5/18/18 - $6500.00

8/4/18 - $7000.00

9/27/18 - $9700.00

1/30/19 - No

I'm running over $5K though it this month and will have it paid off before they'd want to charge me interest. Maybe that will put a little more experience under my belt Smiley Happy

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover CLI Denial (insufficient experience with CL)

Disco is funny, sometimes you'll get an auto CLI out of the blue even though you haven't run a penny through it in months.  Other times you'll get several months of double-dip CLIs, or you'll string together a run of CLIs.  Then you'll hit times like you're getting now.  I've hit the "insufficient experience with current CL" the last 3 times I've asked as well.  I just paid off a BT this month, that had a remaining $5K on it at the beginning of the month.  After my current statement cuts around the 22nd I'll try again at the beginning of March and see if that helps.  Just hang in there, Disco seems to keep everyone guessing!

Message 2 of 59
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I know I have no need for the  higher limit on that card, but they said no to me, and now I have to keep trying. It's been a little over six months.  Smiley Frustrated

One day I'll wake up and realize they are as done with me as I am with them. 

Message 3 of 59
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, story of my life. The NEEWCL, is just bubkiss. I dont even open mine anymore i just shred itSmiley Wink
Message 4 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best success i have with them is carry over a small balance monthly 5-10% and make a lot of payments throughout the month. I seriously make at least 5 payments a month. Carry over 5-10% to statement but don’t go over 30% throughout the month. I’ve had my card, 7 months and have gotten 4 increases. Currently @13k limit 

Message 5 of 59
wasCB14
Super Contributor

At any CL, it's still a card with a $1,500 quarterly 5% cap and few remaining benefits. At some point, it may be worth moving your spend to greener pastures.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 59
masscredit
Valued Contributor

It's been my main card to take advantage of their double rewards for the first 12 months and 5% on select catagories. I've read that it can grow to a healthy limit. Seems to grow faster for some people than others. I'll wait until it's 6 months from my last increase then try again. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 7 of 59
bondsandloan
Regular Contributor

Same thing happened to me on my Discover. Unsecured @ 7th statement. Then been requesting cli for 6 months. Nada! Run 10% through the limit each month.
Message 8 of 59
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Mass, you dont need to wait 6 months. You could try everyday if you want but if you dont want to cut trees, once a month is fineSmiley Wink.
Message 9 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have similar scores and similar limits and my 1st Disco is in the same position, although it took me a few years to get to that limit, $500 at a time..
But, contrary to common sense, I applied for 2nd Disco and got double the limit of the first one with the minimum APR and another year of cash back match..
Everyone’s situation is different but this may be an avenue to consider...
Message 10 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.