Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover: CLI -- When to ask?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover: CLI -- When to ask?

Hey All, 

Student it card acquire 6/24/2019 had third statement cut yesteday and showed up in the app today. New scores in signature and when approved they were in the low 600's, high 500's (depending on the source) with roughly 90-95% overall UTI (now close to 30% and below once things report). Fico 8 in the discover app (and on my statement) dated 8/31 says 690 TU. So I have had a pretty significant boost in score since approved. I got over zealous a bout a month ago and requested a CLI but was denied. Never got a letter about it. No baddies, UTI is dropping daily, and profile is much stronger.

Should I hit the luv button? Or wait a week or two for auto luv, then request?

Also, 90 days is not up at this point despite the third statement cutting due to date of approval. I have gotten three cards in august (apple 3k, citi costco 4k, and Amex HH surpass 1k) not sure how that affects my chances.

Thank you all for your insights.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover: CLI -- When to ask?

I would not depend on auto luv from any lender. Just too inconsistent. There really is no hardset rule for cli with Disco even though you might hear 30 days or 90 days etc. Maybe wait til your Discover Fico is updated then smash. Smashing today and getting the not enough experience letter wont affect trying tomorrowSmiley Wink.
Message 2 of 10
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

Hi there.

In my experience, the best time to ask for a disco CLI is right after they update my SP Fico scores and I make a payment that is at least 3 times the minimum due. Every time I allow these 2 conditions to collide, I get a CLI. Whenever I just do it randomly or based simply on a time table, I don't get anything.

I got my Disco December 31st, 2018 with a $2k SL. Called in immediately and got extra $2k. I am now at $10k. DW got approved Nov 2018 with a $12k SL but she's still at $14k. I try to fulfill these conditions she doesn't.

IMO Disco values your payment history above all else. What they call "insufficient experience" is really "not enough sizeable payments". So while your timing might be important in general, timing the request to take advantage of a recent payment is key, at least going by my own results.

Others might have a totally different take on this and I would happily defer to the experts on here.

Hope you are favored when you eventually click the button and keep us posted.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You all gave me courage but alas, no dice.

CREDIT LINE INCREASE REQUEST

At this time, we cannot increase your credit line.

However, you can make another request at a future time. You will receive a letter in 3-5 business days that will detail the reasons for this decision.

This hurts my heart lol. PIF for the past 3 statements used full credit line 2-3x over each cycle... Oh well, sock drawered it is for now.

Message 4 of 10
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

Wow! so sorry to hear about that. Just give it a few weeks and give it another swirl. Once you start getting them, they keep coming.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Credit_Flavours wrote:

Hi there.

In my experience, the best time to ask for a disco CLI is right after they update my SP Fico scores and I make a payment that is at least 3 times the minimum due. Every time I allow these 2 conditions to collide, I get a CLI. Whenever I just do it randomly or based simply on a time table, I don't get anything.

I got my Disco December 31st, 2018 with a $2k SL. Called in immediately and got extra $2k. I am now at $10k. DW got approved Nov 2018 with a $12k SL but she's still at $14k. I try to fulfill these conditions she doesn't.

IMO Disco values your payment history above all else. What they call "insufficient experience" is really "not enough sizeable payments". So while your timing might be important in general, timing the request to take advantage of a recent payment is key, at least going by my own results.

Others might have a totally different take on this and I would happily defer to the experts on here.

I disagree entirely with this comment.  Sometimes the reason given for a CLI decline is exactly as it states.  The "insufficient experience" reason simply means that in Discover's opinion the last CLI was too recent and you hanen't had the new credit limit long enough for it to be increased.

I use my Discover card like a debit card; I have never carried a balance on my account, and current charges are always paid in full on Payment Due date but I still get the "insufficient experience" decline reason quite often. I usually request a CLI monthly on the Payment Due date and just got a $5K increase when my last payment was made on Sept 5.  But the last two requests were declined; in fact I've notice that the last three increases all came after three months from the previous CLI.

Message 6 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yeah , sorry, but i dont believe the insufficient experience denial has anything to do with payment size. If you got cli following that formula, it just happened to work for you. Thats why we call it YMMVSmiley Wink. Discover is so over the place but usually that denial reason is just not right now. Mho of courseSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, it appears that while we all have a very different Discover usage/pay pattern. We all seem to get the same reasons for denial. lol

Message 8 of 10
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Credit_Flavours wrote:

Hi there.

I disagree entirely with this comment.  Sometimes the reason given for a CLI decline is exactly as it states.  The "insufficient experience" reason simply means that in Discover's opinion the last CLI was too recent and you hanen't had the new credit limit long enough for it to be increased.

I use my Discover card like a debit card; I have never carried a balance on my account, and current charges are always paid in full on Payment Due date but I still get the "insufficient experience" decline reason quite often. I usually request a CLI monthly on the Payment Due date and just got a $5K increase when my last payment was made on Sept 5.  But the last two requests were declined; in fact I've notice that the last three increases all came after three months from the previous CLI.

Thanks for disagreeing and sharing your own experience. Notice I emphasized this being my own experience based on my results. With every creditor I tend to research what others are doing right and how they are making progress, then I experiment until I find what works for me.

I am relatively new to the game here but for now, what I described earlier has worked for me. I believe OP would soon find his/her rhythm too.

Message 9 of 10
swpopham
Established Contributor

I hit the button every month after my PIF payment hits, so far 0-3 on trying

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.