Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover student card cli

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover student card cli

I opened my Discover card on July 1 with a CL of $1500 and I tried to request a cli last week and it said it couldn't process the request. I just got the letter today and it says due to not enough experiance with the card. Is 3 month not enough, do I have to wait until my 3 statment comes in.  I pay in full every month and my highest ultization was 5%, last month it was 1%. Since applying my fico score according to discover went from 669 to 717. I am only trying to get the increase since its not a hard pull and I want to apply for a Visa Signture Card in 6 to 8 months, so I want to show as much history as I can with higher limits.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
LCC_mk14
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover student card cli

Discover is a strange one. My student card stayed at 500 for literally years. It was just within the last six months they started granting increases.

Then I apped and got another Discover it and it has grown very well from 3.5 to 6.5

Generally though increases start happening after 3 months if Discover is willing to give them so I would hold out just a little bit longer. 

As for your Visa Signature goal, depending on what card you're looking at you can always check pre-qual to gauge where you may be now and so when/if you get Discover CLI, it will just be icing on the cake. 

It is not unheard of for some companies to give out signature cards if you haven't had a 5000 line, but it does help. Chase is often more stingy while banks like Cap One give you a little more to work with. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I opened my Discover card on July 1 with a CL of $1500 and I tried to request a cli last week and it said it couldn't process the request. I just got the letter today and it says due to not enough experiance with the card. Is 3 month not enough, do I have to wait until my 3 statment comes in

The guidelines might be different for student cards but yesterday I got a 50% increase (3K to 4.5K) after 75 days open. I also have another card, which shows experience. In your position I'd wait for 2 days after 3rd statement and ask again & then every 31 days thereafter until finding a pattern of success. Good luck. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LCC_mk14 wrote:

Discover is a strange one. My student card stayed at 500 for literally years. It was just within the last six months they started granting increases.

Then I apped and got another Discover it and it has grown very well from 3.5 to 6.5

Generally though increases start happening after 3 months if Discover is willing to give them so I would hold out just a little bit longer. 

As for your Visa Signature goal, depending on what card you're looking at you can always check pre-qual to gauge where you may be now and so when/if you get Discover CLI, it will just be icing on the cake. 

It is not unheard of for some companies to give out signature cards if you haven't had a 5000 line, but it does help. Chase is often more stingy while banks like Cap One give you a little more to work with. 

I'm looking to apply for the Amazon Visa Signature card, so it would be Chase.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.