Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM Rewards/Marcus by Goldman Sachs Pre-Approval SL $4500 — Did Not Accept

tag
LADave
Established Contributor

GM Rewards/Marcus by Goldman Sachs Pre-Approval SL $4500 — Did Not Accept

While researching if I could be approved for a Venture X card with my current scores and experience, I remembered that Goldman Sachs is doing soft pull approvals for their GM Mastercard (it becomes a hard pull if you accept the offer). This is similar to their Apple Card, which I happen to have.

I entered my info and got approved for a $4,500 limit and 9 months at 0% (24.99% afterwards).

It wasn't super painful to reject this offer, since I'm holding out for a better card and I really did this as a "science experiment." If I really needed a card with 0% interest right now, I'd probably take it. I don't own a GM vehicle and I'm not interested in getting one, so I'm not their target customer. But this soft pull approval does give me an idea what GS could offer me on my next CLI request for the Apple Card, which currently has a $3,000 CL. I am curious how much my history with the Apple Card factored into this offer.

GS indicates they use TransUnion FICO 9 scores for this card, similar to the Apple Card.

My TU FICO 9 is currently 719, while my TU FICO 8 is 699. $53,000 annual income, $19,400 in credit lines, 12.6 percent utilization.

16 REPLIES 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GM/Goldman Sachs Approval, SL $4500

Grats on your new GM card Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, that's a decent offer. I'll admit I have done something similar before. I have gone through applications that only do a SP to give you an offer just to see what mine would be, without ever planning one getting the card. It's good for giving you an idea about what the creditor would be willing to extend you currently.

Message 3 of 17
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your GM offer! Goldman Sachs continues to innovate with their card offerings by preapproving with a limit and APR on a soft pull and only hard pulling if you accept. 

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 4 of 17
Trini88
Established Contributor

Congrats on your offer. This card I heard about 2 weeks ago and I am very interested for my husband to apply. It didn't look like it was a soft pull tho because it asked for his whole ssn so we didn't continue.

Goal Cards:
Message 5 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GM Rewards/Marcus by Goldman Sachs Pre-Approval SL $4500 — Did Not Accept

OP, I edited the title to avoid confusion by the community since you did not accept the offer from Marcus by Goldman Sachs on the GM Rewards Card. Accordingly, this thread has been moved to the Applications section.

Message 6 of 17
LADave
Established Contributor

@Trini88 wrote:

Congrats on your offer. This card I heard about 2 weeks ago and I am very interested for my husband to apply. It didn't look like it was a soft pull tho because it asked for his whole ssn so we didn't continue.

I had read in a couple of places online that it's a soft pull, and my experience with GS' Apple Card gave me confidence in this. I was a little nervous that the application page didn't mention it explicitly, but it did show up before I hit the final submit button (after I entered the SSN) .

At the bottom of the offer there were two buttons - a big blue and white one to accept the offer, and a much smaller text link to decilne it.

Even though I'm not interested in a GM vehicle, I honestly would have gone all-out for this offer just a few months ago, as a card with a relatively high (for me) SL, and 9 months of 0 percent interest.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GM Rewards/Marcus by Goldman Sachs Pre-Approval SL $4500 — Did Not Accept

@LADave wrote:

While researching if I could be approved for a Venture X card with my current scores and experience, I remembered that Goldman Sachs is doing soft pull approvals for their GM Mastercard (it becomes a hard pull if you accept the offer). This is similar to their Apple Card, which I happen to have.

I entered my info and got approved for a $4,500 limit and 9 months at 0% (24.99% afterwards).

It wasn't super painful to reject this offer, since I'm holding out for a better card and I really did this as a "science experiment." If I really needed a card with 0% interest right now, I'd probably take it. I don't own a GM vehicle and I'm not interested in getting one, so I'm not their target customer. But this soft pull approval does give me an idea what GS could offer me on my next CLI request for the Apple Card, which currently has a $3,000 CL. I am curious how much my history with the Apple Card factored into this offer.

GS indicates they use TransUnion FICO 9 scores for this card, similar to the Apple Card.

My TU FICO 9 is currently 719, while my TU FICO 8 is 699. $53,000 annual income, $19,400 in credit lines, 12.6 percent utilization.

Just got a cli on applecard a few weeks ago. I was curious after reading this so I ran the gm preapproval and it was more than my current applecard 6500 limit at 8000.  I declined as well.  Too many cards.  

Message 8 of 17
Trini88
Established Contributor

@LADave wrote:

@Trini88 wrote:

I had read in a couple of places online that it's a soft pull, and my experience with GS' Apple Card gave me confidence in this. I was a little nervous that the application page didn't mention it explicitly, but it did show up before I hit the final submit button (after I entered the SSN) .

At the bottom of the offer there were two buttons - a big blue and white one to accept the offer, and a much smaller text link to decilne it.

Even though I'm not interested in a GM vehicle, I honestly would have gone all-out for this offer just a few months ago, as a card with a relatively high (for me) SL, and 9 months of 0 percent interest.

Thank you!

Goal Cards:
Message 9 of 17
LADave
Established Contributor

It's my pleasure! And I hope you'll let us know what happens if your husband decides to apply, it's always great to hear from the experiences of others!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.