Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SP CLI Cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SP CLI Cards?

$2500...Yes I took it since it was a soft pull. My credit is frozen. They soft pulled my credit on the 10th.

Message 11 of 25
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the DPs and congrats on your SP CLI. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  I joined DCU around March 30th and put a few bucks in my savings. I knew they offered pre-approvals in their 'Loan Suite' to members but I never had anything. Last month I logged in as usual just to check and I was pre-approved for almost everything. I took them up on an auto refi and also on a Platinum Visa with a $10K SL. Both were SP approvals. I wanted to mention them because you may want to look into a membership.

The best cards to go for are the ones that we really need in our profiles but if you shop Macy's or Bloomingdales (or even if you don't shop there often) my sister has had an amazing run with CLI's with both and their Amex cards. She opened both on the same weekend 5 months ago and has gone from $1K SL to $20,500 at Macys. She started at $3500 at Bloomies and it has grown slower but she is at $15K there. The CLI's have been monthly and are SP's. 

Sorry to hear about the snag at Navy and I hope it gets resolved for you quickly. Please keep us in the loop about which cards you decide to apply for and I look forward to following your journey!Smiley LOL

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous @newmomnewme @Girlzilla88 @Anonymous 

Thanks you all! Very helpful! I have questions for each of you. Lol

DCU -- what is the exact process to open a savings account/become a member? Is it just an app, questions, done? Like PenFed? Or is it more intrusive, like Upload ID/DOCS, a zillions hoops, etc...?

As far as NFCU -- they pretty much left a bad taste in my mouth. Lol I hope to reinstate accounts just to raise my limit above 10k, so it won't look tacky once I grow my other accounts. But otherwise, I'm completely blah on them.

I plan to wait till April. That will make Disco 6 months, and my AAoA 13 months and only 1 Inq that isn't 12+ months old...

So AMEX is New Credit Friendly?

I wanted a Chase, but hear they are VERY slow growers...

So I'm eyeing BoA... I've heard Bank of America is very good at CLI's... Do they often approve 13 Month Old Files?

These SP Quarterly Offers from PenFed -- is that ONLY for CLI's on existing cards, or for New Card Offers, too?

SPEAKING of PenFed... I just had an AWFUL experience with them and need input... I only had $250 in my checking, which I have NEVER used, WITH a $1,000 Overdraft attached, so $1,250 available... Plus initiated an ACH transfer from my Primary FI into PenFed of another $250... 2 days later I sent a $400 Verizon Payment through it... I assumed the $250 ACH from 2 days prior had posted... I initiated it Friday.

It had not...

They REJECTED my Verizon Bill and charged me a $10 NSF...

I called, and said "Regardless... I have overdraft..."...

They said they accidentally had NOT correctly connected it and REFUNDED the $10 NSF and apologized to me profusely...

SINCE it truly was THEIR fault... Will this harm my future chances of a card with them...? Even though they credited back the fee's, do I still have an internal blemish?

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous no it shouldn't. This wife had -$4.xx in her account and hadn't opened the account since May-ish. First thing she did was applied for CC and instant approval.  Then she paid the negative balance 🙄 lol

Dp. 654 bunch of inquiries, AAoA 2yrs, 1 or 2 collections, 4% utilization 

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  The DCU membership was very straightforward for me. They have a huge list of employers on their eligibility list and also a list of organizations you can join to be eligible. I joined 'Reach Out To Schools' and I think it was $10. I applied for membership and it was approved the next business day. A great investment IMHO and DCU has been very easy to work with plus their CSR's have been great.

I had some bumps with Navy in the beginning when I was establishing my membership but it's just their process and the membership has been well worth the initial hassle. $42K in credit card tradelines, a personal loan and a car loan (moved it to DCU but Navy gave me one in the beginning of my build) all in nine months when I have the thinnest file around. My three cents is to just look at the verification as business and when it's wrapped up you will reap the rewards. Gotta love the SP CLI's that have been happening for awhile now. Super bonus!

Sidenote, PenFed has always put me through hoops and I totally understand why they are known as 'PenDread' lol! There are too many other CU opportunities so I don't even think about them anymore. Some folks have had great success there but they just aren't for me.

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  I live in a TINY town -- Marlow OK... Too far from Lawton, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and Wichita Falls TX... BUT directly between them all... There is only ONE CU here... Endurance... And I'm having HELL finding any except Pen and NFCU... ALL the others say I am ineligible due to not living, working, or worshipping within their area... 😱

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I hear you cuz a lot of them are geo-fenced or have further restrictions. Lucky for us, we don't need to belong to a dozen lol! Seriously though your Navy situation will work out as soon as the verification is complete. Irritating right now but huge dividends in the future.

You could consider adding DCU for the chance to get some of those offers in 2021. I joined Langley and keep $100 in there and their membership is available nationwide. I've heard good things about Unify but haven't any personal experience there. 

A 'sleeper' for you to possibly look at is Redstone FCU. I got in by applying for a Rural King Harvest Visa and they gave me a $6K SL and a lot of cards reported here at myFico start at $10K. I had to become a member of an organization (again pay to play lol) but I think it was only $25 to join. If you search Redstone FCU or Rural King Harvest Visa here you will find lots of info and DP's. After the Harvest card is open, you can PC it to a Redstone Visa. Everyone there has been very helpful and there are many in this community who have received multiple preapproved offers.

A deep dive into these boards will produce literally a gazillion options for you, even if you are in a small town! Just keep in mind that if you join a few, spread them out a bit (I did two each month for a couple of months) so you don't get flagged in Chex Systems for too many CU's in a short period of time. I know I am sounding like a broken record but the truth is that you have already hit the jackpot with your NFCU membership. Adding a few more CU's and letting them age can only be a good thing. If I was in your situation and I only wanted to add one more, it would hands down be DCU and I would make it happen asap to get the clock started on some possible preapproved offers!

Message 18 of 25
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

+1000000 @Anonymous  best advice ever. 

I joined DCU in October after a 3 denials too many 😂. They pull EQ mortgage score and I think their minimum is 675?? (Someone correct me if inaccurate). 

I got their savings account, threw 1k in there for the $60 interest. Also applied for the Platinum Visa. Instant approval 10k. I haven't used it much and I haven't received any SP offers just yet, but their auto loan rates are sweet and they seem to have decent customer care. My mom also joined and opened a checking account...her dd arrives two days early!

When I finish my checking promos, I'll probably move a dd over there too. Wonder if I can just dd into savings or if I have to open another checking account. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newmomnewme Hey my friend, hope you're havin' a good week! I forgot about the EQ 5 (mine is easy to forget...meh but workin' on it)!! I agree with you and actually love my experience so far. My DS is a member and she has done a few BT's to them during the 'Covid-Juggle' and she said that her BT's were completed and showing paid off at her other FI's within 48 hours! THAT is amazing!

I am just doing a DD (into checking) with them now for my auto refi so I can get the extra discount for automatic payments. My car loan at Navy was awesome but transferring it to DCU is saving me some $$ with their great refi rates (even with GAP). That refi was done in record time. Showing paid off at Navy in about 3 1/2 days. Glad to know you got your mom set up there too and a DD two days early is super nice. Winner-winner!Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.