Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
hAr1x
Valued Member

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

My Interesting 3x CLI request journey

I was not too sure about the 3x CLI, so I asked two of my friends who had Amex cards to do it first (be my guinea pig lol).

First friend, had 4000/5000 on his CSP and had a FICO score about the low 600s. Denied with 7-10 days.

Second friend, had a FICO score about high 600 to low 700s, Denied with same reason: low FICO score.

Today I woke up to request my CLI. My first log in into the CLI page, it said "error loading page." I switched to mobile phone, filled in the 6,000, waited, but "Error loading page" came up again. I tried using my computer browser, Incognito mode, whatnot for 5 times over 4 hours, still the error page.

Then I called the number for a CLI by phone. Put in all the information, and BAM, instant approval.

Is anybody also having trouble with the online request?

Message 5191 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I've heard as well. That being the case, why don't they just issue an outright denial right then and there?

<<This is me grumping because I just tried and got the 7-10 day message>>

EDIT: my post  here didnt nest properly. This was in response to a post 2 pgs back about the 7-10 day message most likely being a denial. 

Message 5192 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple questions in regards to the 3x cli. I was approved for the Everyday card at 1k back in early September. Yesterday I got a pre-approval for the Amex Delta Plat at 1.7k. I decided to take that offer and am done applying for new credit for a while. How does the 3x cli work in this regard. People tell me more than likely I'll be denied the 3x on the Everyday because I was a borderline approval. Could I test my luck and try for a cli on the Delta Plat right away and if denied try again in 61 days? I appreciate all the help!

Message 5193 of 5,432
ccquest
Established Contributor

I'd try on the Plat right away then redistribute the balance after that however you want.

If you get denied, you'll have to wait 91 days though, the 61 doesn't override that.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5194 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apppreciate the info! @ccquest 

Message 5195 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex 61 3x question

I was curious to know, does the 61 3x CLI rule supersede the 1 CLI every 181 day rule? 

For example, I received the Amex BCE on 8/24 and the BBC on 9/28. Would I be able to apply for the 3x CLI on both cards at the 61 day mark for each or can it only be for one and then have to wait 181 days to do the next one?

Thank you in advance!

Message 5196 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex 61 3x question

I pulled these resources (one MyFico link, and one Reddit that seems to address your question more directly) 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-181-Day-Auto-CLI/td-p/5473149

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a8x6vm/does_the_amex_cash_magnet_get_3x_cli/

I hope this was able to be of some help in targeting your concerns. 

Message 5197 of 5,432
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was curious to know, does the 61 3x CLI rule supersede the 1 CLI every 181 day rule? 

For example, I received the Amex BCE on 8/24 and the BBC on 9/28. Would I be able to apply for the 3x CLI on both cards at the 61 day mark for each or can it only be for one and then have to wait 181 days to do the next one?

Thank you in advance!

No,you won't be able to do that.

If you got your first CLI at 61 days, you are not eligible to ask again until 181 days later, at which time you have to elect the card you want increase on.

Think of it as a single account with multiple cards, first one at 61, all subsequent requests no sooner than 181 days 

Message 5198 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both! I was assuming that was the case. Now, I have seen some people suggest that acquiring a CLI that takes your limit over 25k on a BUSINESS acct does not nec flag a financial review? I of course gave accurate info for income, etc..., but would rather not trigger one if possible lol. Is the FR more so when PERSONAL accts go over that amount?

Message 5199 of 5,432
Ivylicious1908
Regular Contributor

I received my AMEX BCE (SL 2K) in June 2020 I appt for the CLI (3XL) in August and was denied. I figured tonight I will try again maybe my account was too new. Tried tonight and it took 4 times getting an error page. Then I flipped to desktop mode on my phone and tried again.  It gave me an instant approval 6k will be in your account in 15 minutes!!!

Message 5200 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.