Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who does Amex HP when applying?

tag
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Who does Amex HP when applying?

I'm thinking of applying for the cash magnet. Who does Amex HP when you apply for one of their cards?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
increasingmyfico
Regular Contributor

Re: Who does Amex HP when applying?

@rgd51 wrote:

I'm thinking of applying for the cash magnet. Who does Amex HP when you apply for one of their cards?

Exp 

Message 2 of 21
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

They won't pull any others? Do they have rules on how many recent inquiries are acceptable? I got denied by citi for 1 recent inquiry.

Message 3 of 21
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

They won't pull any others? Do they have rules on how many recent inquiries are acceptable? I got denied by citi for 1 recent inquiry.

There isn't really a hard number to go by honestly as far as how many inquiries on your EX report are acceptable. They seem to be really relaxed as far as previous credit exploration to an extent compared to other banks. As long as you have not been excessively seeking credit recently and have no previous negative history with AMEX to go along with good scores you should really have no worries. Other banks like Citi and US Bank have more stringent requirements and should not color your views on how other banks operate

Did the Citi denial mention only the one inquiry as the reason for the denial? I am surprised because recent data points suggest there is a 3/6 rule with inquiries where 3 or more HPs in a six month period is an automatic denial with no exceptions not even during recon

Message 4 of 21
GatoradeZeroGuy
Valued Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

check for this when you apply

image.png

Usually Ex, sometimes Ex + TU

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 5 of 21
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Yeah citi told me it was the 1 recent inquiry that was the entire reason for my denial. I've had 2 experian inquiries in the last 2 days that both resulted in denials (I applied for the chase freedom flex but was denied due to having received a SUB too recently). Now I'm concerned another place that pulls only EX will deny me despite my perfect credit history and over 800 fico. Who pulls only TU and EQ?

Message 6 of 21
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

Who pulls only TU and EQ?

The list was last updated back in summer 2021 but it's a good reference to get things started

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/The-quot-Which-Banks-Pull-Which-Report-For-Ap...

Message 7 of 21
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

I live in Utah. Do you know which one Amex pulls in utah?

Message 8 of 21
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

Pretty sure its still EX; they're pretty consistent EX pullers. Though they do sometimes double pull and hit TU as well.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 21
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

Experian is what AMEX uses primairly for making credit decisions for all future/currrent customers. FWIW once in a blue moon they may also pull one of the other two bureaus but we don't receive many reports of that happening

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.