Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Gold and Amex Green Approved at 36,000'

tag
daxx
Established Member

Amex Delta Gold and Amex Green Approved at 36,000'

I am currently on my flight from Seattle to Hong Kong and had some down time and an internet connection, so I thought I would give American Express another shot. 

Over the last year I have been working on improving my credit profile as I was a bit foolish in my youth and have managed to slowly move away from secured credit cards, decrease utilization, and increase my FICO score's by 100+ points.

Back in February 2016 I tested the waters with Amex and found a pre-approval offer on their site for a Delta Gold, Platinum, and Everyday. I knew it was too good to be true as I had a few collections in my EX profile, high utilization, and a low Ex of 616. After applying for the Delta Gold card I received the 7-10 day message which then became a denial after a week. When I received the letter is stated; low credit score, degrogitory public records (i.e. collections), and high utilization. 

Fast forward to June 2016, and I was able to  PFD 2 collection accounts, have 1 removed, bring down my utilization from 91% to 28%, and increase my score 20 points. While I believed that my score was still low for Amex I was able to clean up all of the other factors they listed and thought why not give it a shot. So 6.5 hrs into my flight I submitted the first application for the Amex Green Charge Account. I figured it would be a 50/50 shot so after hitting submit I waited an agonizing 4.5 minutes, since the in-flight Internet is slow as a snail, then magically it said "Approved"!!!!

I was ecstatic as I have been waiting years to re-join the amex family. After reading that you can submit a Charge Card App and a Revolver App from the same HP I went ahead and submitted another app for the Delta Gold which was also instantly approved for $1,000.00.

So it appears that there is no hard and fast rule for American Express. As some people say you need at least a 660, others that get declined with scores in the 700's and me with a low 636. 

Current Stats

EX 636

AAoA: 2 Yrs

Ex Inq:  11

Utl: 28%

Total Credit $14,600

Capital One Spark $1,600, Barclays Rewards $3,000,Amex Green NPSL, Amex Delta Gold $1,000, Amazon Store Card $1,100, Walmart Store Card $2500, QVC $2000, Khols $700

Starting 2/20 EQU-540 TU-588 EXP-530
Current 6/19 EQ-656 TU-645 EX-636
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Delta Gold and Amex Green Approved at 36,000'

Congrats. That's an interesting.way to app...up in the sky! I'm sure the wait on the approval couldn't come fast enough!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

LMAO!!! Classic approval! Congrats OP.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!! That's awesome!!! Don't forget to apply for a CLI in 61 days from the date of your approval. 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats Jet Setter and Mile High Club member!

Message 5 of 15
alextercero
Super Contributor

Congrats

Current Credit Cards

Currently rebuilding as of (May 2021)

Current Fico Scores 8/9: (April 2024)

Credit Age:

Inquiries:

Message 6 of 15
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats Jet Setter and Mile High Club member!

Yep, CMSA, it does indeed give a whole new meaning to the Mile High Club!

Way to go, OP - as they say "the sky's the limit."

Message 7 of 15
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

@daxx wrote:

I am currently on my flight from Seattle to Hong Kong and had some down time and an internet connection, so I thought I would give American Express another shot. 

Over the last year I have been working on improving my credit profile as I was a bit foolish in my youth and have managed to slowly move away from secured credit cards, decrease utilization, and increase my FICO score's by 100+ points.

Back in February 2016 I tested the waters with Amex and found a pre-approval offer on their site for a Delta Gold, Platinum, and Everyday. I knew it was too good to be true as I had a few collections in my EX profile, high utilization, and a low Ex of 616. After applying for the Delta Gold card I received the 7-10 day message which then became a denial after a week. When I received the letter is stated; low credit score, degrogitory public records (i.e. collections), and high utilization. 

Fast forward to June 2016, and I was able to  PFD 2 collection accounts, have 1 removed, bring down my utilization from 91% to 28%, and increase my score 20 points. While I believed that my score was still low for Amex I was able to clean up all of the other factors they listed and thought why not give it a shot. So 6.5 hrs into my flight I submitted the first application for the Amex Green Charge Account. I figured it would be a 50/50 shot so after hitting submit I waited an agonizing 4.5 minutes, since the in-flight Internet is slow as a snail, then magically it said "Approved"!!!!

I was ecstatic as I have been waiting years to re-join the amex family. After reading that you can submit a Charge Card App and a Revolver App from the same HP I went ahead and submitted another app for the Delta Gold which was also instantly approved for $1,000.00.

So it appears that there is no hard and fast rule for American Express. As some people say you need at least a 660, others that get declined with scores in the 700's and me with a low 636. 

Current Stats

EX 636

AAoA: 2 Yrs

Ex Inq:  11

Utl: 28%

Total Credit $14,600

I was approved with the scores in my sig line june 3, 2016.  Even with all my inquires and such.  Starting limit 1k as well

Experian - 695 (4Y1M AA, 33 INQ)
Transunion - 686 (1Y5M AA, 30 INQ)
Equifax - 726 (3Y1M AA, 4 INQ)
Total Credit Lines: $99,387
Message 8 of 15
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations!!!

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on getting in. I heard (read) on here if starting with 1000 limit its really hard to get increase. With 1000 starting limits means it's their base and they taking a chance and most likely in 61 days ur score won't be in the range for them to increase

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.