Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX questions...

tag
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX questions...

@Anonymous haha No i have 2 new accounts in 12 months. 1 in August and 1 in October lol...I usually space out my apps by 6 months in-between each but I got ballsy 😄

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Doodlebug30 wrote:

@Anonymous haha No i have 2 new accounts in 12 months. 1 in August and 1 in October lol...I usually space out my apps by 6 months in-between each but I got ballsy 😄

Oh, you will be FINE. 

Message 22 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Doodlebug30 wrote:

So i have never had an Amex and the only info i know is what ive read here on the forums...Quite frankly i never thought id even come close to qualifying for any Amex card ever

This is part of the Amex mythology!   Amex underwriting, especially on the charge cards, is one of the easier ones among the majors.   The credit cards can be a little tougher, but no more so than Citi/Chase/BoA etc.   And your preapprovals include two of the credit cards.

But the important question, as others have said, do you really need/want these (or any other Amex) cards?  There may well be better choices for your spend and goals.

Message 23 of 29
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker I don't "need" anymore credit, no. But I can say that the beginning of my adult life was a credit hell hole bc I knew nothing & did everything wrong. With that being said, I have tried to consistently add good healthy accounts to my profile that can age with me. My oldest cc at this point is 5+years. I have old student loans that are older but those will fall off in a couple years which will hurt. Idk, point is I'm just trying to better my profile while reaping rewards 😃

That 6% at grocery stores in really great & I would def use it. Haven't decided yet but I think I will prob wait until my youngest acct hits 6 months...maybe lol. I'm going to try!! 

Message 24 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Doodlebug30 wrote:

So i have never had an Amex and the only info i know is what ive read here on the forums...Quite frankly i never thought id even come close to qualifying for any Amex card ever

They're not so hard to get any more.

but, I checked prequal and was prequalified for BCP, Gold and Cash magnet. All variable APR's...

I guess my questions are,

Are prequals really solid?

Yes they're really solid

Any have any experience being denied even though they were prequal?

A prequal is not a guarantee of acceptance

Is Amex new acct or inquiry sensitive?

No it isn't

If so, how many is too many?

Are they good about CLI's? 

Great. The best.

Starting limits? 

Not necessarily, but their generosity and user friendliness in CLI's makes it that you will never have to go long without the

limit you deserve.

Its all profile based i know. But i guess i wanted to start a discussion for Amex newbies or anyone like myself considering applying for their first amex. 

DP's - FICO's are all around 702-712

UTIL 15% ; Only 1 card above 30% (32%) which is a 0% promo balance on a furniture purch.

2 new accts in the last 12 months, newest 1 month old.

Only derogs are 6+ year old student loan lates (90+ day) that are due to fall off mid 2021. 

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 25 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Doodlebug30 wrote:

@wasCB14  To be honest I dont really want any of them bc I loathe having to pay an annual fee. I really would prefer the BCE but that wasnt on my prequal list. I probably wont be pulling the trigger right this moment but I wanted to do my research. If i was going to pick out of the 3, i would go BCP. Grocery rewards will go far in my house lol. 

So this language will show up right when i hit apply? Or do i actually have to go through the whole app?

If you're preapproved for the BCP I doubt you'll have trouble with the BCE.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know I'm a bit late, but I have a very similar profile to you and was just approved for BCP today. 

Message 27 of 29
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

@Anonymous Congrats! I just read your post on the approval board 😃 It's making me want to apply so bad haha

Message 28 of 29
Apple507

The BCP will grow quickly if you put a lot of spend on it. Mine grew to its current limit of $32,800 in less then 4 years. I spend in the range of $1500-2000 on it every month. The 6% on groceries can't be beat. I make back way more then the annual fee and I always PIF so I come out way ahead.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.