Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Achieving Very Large Amex Personal Revolving Limits

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Achieving Very Large Amex Personal Revolving Limits

So having gone through the 4506-T process with Amex twice with no luck, I'm curious as to what the Amex underwriters are looking for when granting very large revolving credit lines.  I know there are at least a few of you here with exceptionally high limits, and perhaps some I'm not aware of, so I'd be interested to read what's worked for you.

A little background - back in early 2018 I had a $21,000 Starwood Preferred Guest card and because I like the float between statement cut and due date, I was consistently running into issues with my organic monthly spend exceeding my credit line by several thousand dollars each month.  I requested a CLI to $63,000, submitted a 4506-T, and after what seemed like ages, I was denied for the information on my tax transcripts not matching stated income.  Income hadn't really changed, but I have significant 5-digit pre-tax deductions that lower my taxable income.  One would think that Amex would keep in mind that this is true for a lot of people, and the variance was only about 10%.  So while it may have been a large raw dollar amount, I can't imagine them denying someone for the same reason if they reported $33,000 income and their tax transcripts showed $30,000.  I called to try to recon it, but was told that the underwriting decisions were final and that I should ask again later.  I waited 91 days, asked again without the 4506-T and got a CLI to $35k then a few months later got approved for a pair of Delta cards with $10,000 starting lines, so it's not like I was really capped since they gave me another $34,000 in revolving credit over the next few months.  And previous playing with the No-No Button (Check Spending Ability) showed me that Amex would approve obscene charges on my Platinum charge card higher than my current combined revolving limits.

I've been "stuck" at $74,500 combined revolving limits since March 2019, and my 2018 Amex personal spending exceeded $100k, including over $75k on a single card (SPG/SPG Luxury).  I submitted another 4506-T back in September for a CLI on my Delta Reserve (which is at $50k; I think I asked for a 2x to $100k), my daily driver for all non-category spending.  Same income as last time, and my 2017/2018 tax transcripts were pretty much identical to the 2016/2017 tax transcripts they saw before, but instead of the mismatch reason I got before, I got a revolving limits appropriate for income reason.

I have 18 years of experience running huge amounts of personal spending through my American Express cards, as well as income and scores that should easily support higher credit lines.  I see so many others here on the forums with pretty much the same limits and a fraction of the spend.  If I'm putting all of this through them and getting similar results as someone putting a few thousand dollars a year of groceries through a revolver, what do the underwriters want to see in order to raise my limits?

Message 1 of 82
81 REPLIES 81
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Re: Achieving Very Large Amex Personal Revolving Limits

Not sure what I can offer except for a few data points. I have 3 cards with a total limit of 92k. I also put $100k on my cards with roughly $70k of it on my EDP. Credit scores all in the low 800's. Reported income of 200k. I have yet to fill out a 4506, but I have been at my current limits for a year now with no increases. Even when I put in a CLI for 1k they want a 4506.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 2 of 82
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Offering a "you're not alone" is at least comforting.  Thank you!  Interesting that you got that far without a 4506-T.  I was under the (false) impression that I probably wouldn't be asked on that first $63k SPG request based on my long history, but I was.

Message 3 of 82
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I have thought about submitting a 4506 for grins and giggles, but haven't felt the need yet.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 4 of 82
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I have no business in this thread..

I was  trying to get my personal card above $500, LOL...Smiley Wink edit..I no longer have that card either. 

Message 5 of 82
redpat
Senior Contributor

Sorry K  I can’t help either w/ delta res at 45k and Hilton at 25k I have been only using gold card at the moment w/ all me charges have 35k POT.

It could be all the available credit that you have might be holding you back w/ Amex increases.  I know many don’t like hearing that but who knows.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 6 of 82
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

I had a conversation with a very nice American express Executive on a flight a year ago that told me they cap at 100K or less on revolving lines .  When asked what the guidelines for that were he was vague, and said roughly 4x that in income.  However he did say with with business cards if you can show both a need and the ability to cover the expenses that a rep can adjust the limit. I have no definitive answer for you, but I would try talking to a rep from the need perspective and see if it gets you further. If you can explain to them that rolling 30k+ over on a 100K limit card would damage your credit rating then they may get that you have a good understanding a reason. This is if the rep has a clue.  This had worked well for me in the past with Chase.

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 7 of 82
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@redpat wrote:

It could be all the available credit that you have might be holding you back w/ Amex increases.  I know many don’t like hearing that but who knows.

+ 1,  Number of cards, and all the available credit.

Message 8 of 82
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

Two other things that may be helpful.

1) ask for just a temporary increase to start when you have know you have a heavy month usage coming up.  Most likely will be granted and sometimes doesn't fall off.

2) ask for part of a limit to be moved from another card to hit your max on the one you use the most.

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 9 of 82
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I've found Amex is not interested at all in the complexities of income, or in other documentation.

I received a 1099 with unexpectedly high income and wanted to make a big estimated payment before filing my taxes. I explained over the phone that I could send Amex the 1099, or authorize Fidelity to release it to Amex, but that the unusual income wouldn't have appeared on a filed return yet. There was no interest in or response to my other documentation, even though my total debt at the time was negligible and Amex had previously confirmed my assets via the Schwab credit. It's just a person entering a number into a computer, and the computer approves it, rejects it, or requests the return.

I also face the obstacles that a lot of my available income goes on a separate return, that my available income fluctuates, and that very little of my BBP spend is actually for my business.

My approach has been to just accept relatively low CLs, report income very conservatively, and rely on BBP's soft CL/non-reporting utilization as wel as Schwab's NPSL.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.