Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Achieving Very Large Amex Personal Revolving Limits

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Achieving Very Large Amex Personal Revolving Limits

Thanks everyone.  I have multiples of my income in revolving credit, so that's certainly a distinct probability.  When Pooka89 mentioned a few years back having seen numerous revolvers in the 6 digits and even one in the 7 digits, I kind of made it my goal to achieve a $100k revolver with both Amex and Bank of America (BoA accomplished a while back minus $100, curse of the $99.9k Club LOL).

Not sure if a temporary increase would be feasible, but maybe I'll try that around tax season next year.  Might be hard to justify a "I need a temporary $30k increase so my scores don't dive if I charge $20k this month" when I already know from experience they'll certainly let me spend well in excess of my credit limits, and I'd think they'd just suggest putting it on one of my charge cards that does have the spending power and wouldn't affect utilization.

I have certainly shifted limits around to make my primary card more usable.  I nerfed my circa-2002 Blue down to $500 and moved the rest to SPG right after I got it in 2017, and I have since moved limits from my Marriott and Delta Platinum cards to Reserve to bring it up to $50k.

Message 11 of 82
tacpoly
Established Contributor

How much spend do you put through all your cards and what fraction of your household income is that?  If you're putting in $100k - 200k spend on $300k income, I doubt you'll get significant CLI since you may be at the limit of what Amex thinks you can "afford".  

Message 12 of 82
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I've found Amex is not interested at all in the complexities of income, or in other documentation.

I received a 1099 with unexpectedly high income and wanted to make a big estimated payment before filing my taxes. I explained over the phone that I could send Amex the 1099, or authorize Fidelity to release it to Amex, but that the unusual income wouldn't have appeared on a filed return yet. There was no interest in or response to my other documentation, even though my total debt at the time was negligible and Amex had previously confirmed my assets via the Schwab credit. It's just a person entering a number into a computer, and the computer approves it, rejects it, or requests the return.

I also face the obstacles that a lot of my available income goes on a separate return, that my available income fluctuates, and that very little of my BBP spend is actually for my business.

My approach has been to just accept relatively low CLs, report income very conservatively, and rely on BBP's soft CL/non-reporting utilization as wel as Schwab's NPSL.

That certainly sounds like a headache.  In your case, though, it's just a matter of Amex being firm that the only allowable documentation for a CLI request is a Form 4506-T and that the previous year's tax return will not be available until after August.  That certainly can be frustrating for those with different scenarios besides being a W-2 employee.  In my own case, I submitted per their rules and requirements and still got no results.

Message 13 of 82
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@tacpoly wrote:

How much spend do you put through all your cards and what fraction of your household income is that?  If you're putting in $100k - 200k spend on $300k income, I doubt you'll get significant CLI since you may be at the limit of what Amex thinks you can "afford".  

I maximize rewards and everything that can be paid with a card is paid with a card.  Usually it's anywhere from $10-15k spend across all cards in an average month, probably more than half of income over the course of a year.  I'm not sure on the affordability angle since they'd certainly let me spend far more on my charge cards than I could possibly afford to pay back in a given month given experience with unusually large purchases and Check Spending Ability.

Message 14 of 82
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:

I maximize rewards and everything that can be paid with a card is paid with a card.  Usually it's anywhere from $10-15k spend across all cards in an average month, probably more than half of income over the course of a year.  I'm not sure on the affordability angle since they'd certainly let me spend far more on my charge cards than I could possibly afford to pay back in a given month given experience with unusually large purchases and Check Spending Ability.

I thought I read on here that charge cards and credit cards have different underwriting requirements (i.e. a bank has to have the money set aside for each credit card).  Maybe that explains the difference.  

Message 15 of 82
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Great thread @K-in-Boston.

I really don't know what they specifically look for per se, but all my revolvers combined (personal and biz) are a bit north of $150K.  That said, no single card is $100K since I've moved some CLs around depending on usage (I like to spread the wealth 😁). 

Plus, I can't really discern any specific pattern on the approved SLs (for my specific profile) since it's all over the place whether it's a personal or biz CC.  I'll test it out again soon with another revolver on the horizon (maybe a rob Peter to pay Paul scenario?), plus whether another ~3x CLI is possible for one account. 

One thing that's never come up, is 4506-T, voluntary or involuntary.  It's fair to say there's likely some individuals that may have a single $100K CC (personal or biz), but I've yet to see any recent DPs on this. 

Most of the majority of my spend typically goes on their charge cards, though.

Message 16 of 82
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@tacpoly wrote:

I thought I read on here that charge cards and credit cards have different underwriting requirements (i.e. a bank has to have the money set aside for each credit card).  Maybe that explains the difference.  

Another quite plausible explanation.  In that case, I want some of that grocery card reserve being held.   Smiley Tongue

(It was a joke.  No pitchforks and torches, please.)

Message 17 of 82
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Most of the majority of my spend typically goes on their charge cards, though.

Gotta say, most of the people I know who spend a crap ton use charge cards (income in the 7 figures +).  I don't know anyone who carries balances (or no one will own up to it Smiley Wink).  Seriously though, we're all financially savvy and cc interest is such as waste of money, that it's very likely.  

Message 18 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you carry any balances? I'll assume no.

The game might change at higher limits, kind of like lifting a 30 lb object 20 feet above ground vs a 3000 lb object. If it falls to the ground, it causes more damage. 

A $500 balance on a $1000 limit card isn't a killer if you don't pay or start paying the minimum.  On a 50K balance, it's more worrisome. The utilization is the same, but not the risk.

I would bet the number of cards and available credit are the main drivers.

It seems lenders are a little more tolerable of things when your scores are well north of 800, but that might be because the cardholder is carrying balances, but would have higher scores if it weren't the case.

Message 19 of 82
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yes, I carry mind-boggling balances on a few cards at low/no interest (in hindsight, I should have at least considered filing BK when the markets crashed but instead paid several annual incomes in interest), but they're been on a major downward trend for the past 4 or 5 years after being stagnant for ages.  Other than utilization in the past, no credit issues - not even a 1-day late.

Message 20 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.