cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Prime Store Card switching to points instead of cashback!

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amazon Prime Store Card switching to points instead of cashback!

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

idk but i use my card like i stole it and still no CLI, if i get this email i may probably finally close it and just use my Discover

If you really use Amazon that much, that'd be silly...   Except for when its a bonus category, you'd only be earning 1% if you use your Discover card.

+1 and it’s capped at $1500/quarter when it is 5%.  Have you tried calling the overseas Credit Solutions number to request a CLI? For the first 4 years mine grew just a few hundred bucks at a time. One call to CS and it was $12k with a soft pull. 

Message 31 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

not for my amazon card i tried chat.. i only called about my care credit which 2 chat reps and phone reps told me “no CLI within 48 hours card is too new”.. um ok?

Message 32 of 68
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CountryLivin wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Be very afraid.  Unlike cash, points can be devalued.

Yes, they can, but you will have the choice of using points to make a purchase or using the points for a statement credit. There's really no changes to the program, other then now we will have a choice of what to do with our points...instead of it automatically getting statement credit.

For now, but I'm with UpperNwGuy here, there is no real reason to switch to points except to allow you the possibility of devaluation.   The nice thing is (from an issuers viewpoint) that it is much less obvious.  If I tell you that instead of 5% you are going to get 4%, you might get annoyed and look for alternatives.   But points make it somewhat easier to hide, it now costs 5000 points for something that used to cost 4500, or you can redeem your balance for slightly less....

This happened with the Penfed Platinum rewards, still earns 5points on gas, 3 points at supermarkets, but they have gone from 1c per point to just over 0.8c per point.

You’re such a negative person.  How can you even think that Synchrony would even think of doing something like that.  Shame on you.

Not at all!  I think reducing rewards  of this sort is a good thing! 

I have an old-school work ethic: rewards for spending?  On a piece of plastic?  No, rewards are when you get an honest days pay for an honest days work, ideally down the mine or similar real labour.   

Well, except for MS. that's good too.

Message 33 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Chase Amazon has always been a points system and I've never encountered a devaluation. Think everyone needs to calm down. That's how Amazon codes it if it will be transferred to its website.
Message 34 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

idk but i use my card like i stole it and still no CLI, if i get this email i may probably finally close it and just use my Discover

If you really use Amazon that much, that'd be silly...   Except for when its a bonus category, you'd only be earning 1% if you use your Discover card.

+1 and it’s capped at $1500/quarter when it is 5%.  Have you tried calling the overseas Credit Solutions number to request a CLI? For the first 4 years mine grew just a few hundred bucks at a time. One call to CS and it was $12k with a soft pull. 

Chase Amazon VS is unlimited 5% so I'm sure that's a better alternative. 

Message 35 of 68
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The Chase Amazon has always been a points system and I've never encountered a devaluation. Think everyone needs to calm down. That's how Amazon codes it if it will be transferred to its website.

It's the switching that MAY indicate a potential issue, and this isn't chase.    Chase HAS been good keeping things like UR redeemable at a constant 1c, but other issuers have not.   And for those transferring URs to partners, devaluation is a constant issue, albeit on the partner side rather than Chase.

Message 36 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just received the email on my store card which was approved in May.

Message 37 of 68
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase Amazon VS is unlimited 5% so I'm sure that's a better alternative. 

Not necessarily.  Underwriting for Chase can be a concern for some, a CLI with Chase will almost always require a hard inquiry, and the Chase card lacks the very flexible 0% APR offers for new purchases.  The Chase card also has its own set of advantages, too (most obvious being that you can use it anywhere Visa is accepted).

Message 38 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Agreed.  Hysteria over nothing 

Message 39 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not get the email,
Message 40 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.