Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CVV

tag
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Amex CVV

I got my Amex Delta Skymiles Gold card the other day and have begun faithfully using it for the SUB, and I ran into a roadblock trying to use it for renewing my once a month DC Metro Smartcard.  The Smartcard website would not take my Amex for anything.  I called Amex, and they said that I should be good to do.  I can't believe the CSR never mentioned this issue.  

I've never had an Amex card before and after researching I found out for online transactions with Amex you have to use the 4 digit PIN on the front of the card rather than the 3 digit CVV on the back!  What?!?  Haha, anyway, it's all good now, but I thought that was crazy.  SUB here I come!  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Amex CVV

The three digit number on the back is used for confirming your identity with Amex sometimes. For example, on MR cards, both the 3 and 4 digit numbers are needed to link frequent flyer programs to an MR account.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertJ ... appreciate your dillema! Ran into the same challenges and had no idea about the four or three digit codes. Figured it out by accident as no one told me. Smiley Mad

Message 3 of 8
LakeLife
Established Contributor

The part that kills me is the CSR had me on the phone and knew I was having trouble and never breathed a word of it.  LOL...oh well.  Smiley Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

RobertJ ... appreciate your dillema! Ran into the same challenges and had no idea about the four or three digit codes. Figured it out by accident as no one told me. Smiley Mad

Message 4 of 8
LakeLife
Established Contributor

That is good to know and thank you!

@wasCB14 wrote:

The three digit number on the back is used for confirming your identity with Amex sometimes. For example, on MR cards, both the 3 and 4 digit numbers are needed to link frequent flyer programs to an MR account.

Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Almost every web site I have seen that requires a CVV has something like this.ccv.GIF

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The four-digit number printed on the front of American Express cards is the CCID or Credit Card Identification Number.  The CVV or Credit Verification Value is the three-digit code printed on the back of the card, on or near the signature panel.  The CCID is an additional layer of security for the card. Amex Customer Service Professionals will usually ask for the CCID if you call them about a card-related transaction.

@Anonymous wrote:

What???Smiley Mad

Message 7 of 8
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Well, that's how I finally found it, but as I've never had an Amex card I had no idea it would be any different.  So I never bothered to even look.  But ya...I saw that.  

@longtimelurker wrote:

Almost every web site I have seen that requires a CVV has something like this.ccv.GIF

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.