Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex financial review

tag
HiiiPoWeR
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex financial review

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey y'all. So my wife opened a Platinum card and made me as a authorized user. I've been doing 90% of the payments and probably 70% of the spending on the card and we got hit with a Financial review.

Long story short when she created the account she made her income 55-60k when her income is 32-38k. (Yes I know dumb mistake) as I'm sure nobody here works in the department, but in y'all's opinion are we going to get canceled and black listed. (She has to send in w2 and we didn't file jointly)

Thank you.

They'll "most likely" place hard limit on your account. 

I agree with @Loquat. I've read few stories about AU's outspending the primary card holder is a no no and can trigger a FR.  There was a post from another member saying that American Express confirmed this to be the reason for her FR... And she was card holder for nearly a decade. 

Message 31 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they shut down the card because if this?

Message 32 of 43
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well she sent in the form today that Amex sends to IRS. So we can't really send in both w2.

I'm guessing once they receive the info from the irs they'll call my wife for more information?

Why couldn't you send both?

Presumably Amex just wants the 4506 form.

I would've sent them both W2 forms regardless of what they wanted! A personal note explaining that "we don't file jointly, but we use our income jointly" along with the W2 forms might nudge them in the right direction.

My personal philosophy is to never give up, don't take 'no' for an answer. I've accomplished numerous things I was told couldn't happen, all because I was persistent. In a situation like the OP's, there was absolutely nothing to lose, but potentially plenty to gain, by sending them more/different documentation than they requested (plus whatever they actually did request).

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 33 of 43
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well she sent in the form today that Amex sends to IRS. So we can't really send in both w2.

I'm guessing once they receive the info from the irs they'll call my wife for more information?

Why couldn't you send both?

Presumably Amex just wants the 4506 form.

I would've sent them both W2 forms regardless of what they wanted! A personal note explaining that "we don't file jointly, but we use our income jointly" along with the W2 forms might nudge them in the right direction.

While this is far from absolute by Amex, the beauty of the 4506 is that they are getting information directly from the IRS, rather than the customer (who, by definition, is already under some cloud of suspicion!)    So I guess OP could have submitted a 4506 for the spouse, but I assume, like a POI request, the Amex 4506 is automated.

Message 34 of 43
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

While this is far from absolute by Amex, the beauty of the 4506 is that they are getting information directly from the IRS, rather than the customer (who, by definition, is already under some cloud of suspicion!)    So I guess OP could have submitted a 4506 for the spouse, but I assume, like a POI request, the Amex 4506 is automated.

Thanks for that information! As noted upthread, I've never been through this before--so guess what? I did not know what you just said! I assumed the form in question was physically being sent by the OP to Amex, hence my reasoning.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 35 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SoCalGardener , nope, by signing consent on that form, you allow Amex to pull the W2 information directly from the IRS.

Message 36 of 43
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey y'all. So my wife opened a Platinum card and made me as a authorized user. I've been doing 90% of the payments and probably 70% of the spending on the card and we got hit with a Financial review.

Long story short when she created the account she made her income 55-60k when her income is 32-38k. (Yes I know dumb mistake) as I'm sure nobody here works in the department, but in y'all's opinion are we going to get canceled and black listed. (She has to send in w2 and we didn't file jointly)

Thank you.

Even though you and your wife filed separate returns, she still can consider your income as a source of income. She can send a copy of your W-2 along with hers.
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 37 of 43
ThriftySaver
Regular Contributor

what ended up with the financial review @Anonymous? did you pass?

Message 38 of 43
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

I am curious about this, as well. He did say that he would update us, didn't he.......

Message 39 of 43
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@shalimarcat wrote:

I am curious about this, as well. He did say that he would update us, didn't he.......

It appears that the OP hasn't been back to the forums shortly after their last post on 7/11, so it's unlikely an update will be forthcoming anytime soon. 

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.