Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA Clear Points Card

tag
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Re: BBVA Clear Points Card

Does anyone know if SC is in the BBVA geofence, or anyone from SC have the BBVA?

I want to apply for this one, but I've never received a mailer. Wonder if I called and cold app'ed over the phone with a CSR if my chances would be better?

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 31 of 73
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

Does anyone know if SC is in the BBVA geofence, or anyone from SC have the BBVA?

I want to apply for this one, but I've never received a mailer. Wonder if I called and cold app'ed over the phone with a CSR if my chances would be better?

BBVA operates in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico, and Texas but google tells me they may(???) have had a branch in South Carolina. If you haven't received a mailer the geofence will probably lock you out but you can always call and ask them.

Message 32 of 73
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I punched S Carolina into the online prequal and said “This product is not available in your state”. That said, I’ve heard of people getting mailers in other states and getting cards.

After looking at the free online checking account page, it seems everyone except Alaska and Hawaii residents can open an account. That might be a way to get on their radar. https://www.bbvausa.com/disclosure/online-checking/other-states.html
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 33 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

The online prequal tool doesn't work for many of BBVA's service areas. It works for AL and TX IIRC. 

That said, SC is not one in their footprint. As @JNA1 points out, opening that checking account works around the issue. If you have a BBVA checking account and they like you, you'll have an option to check for prequals for credit cards and they will even tell you the amount they would approve you for. 

Message 34 of 73
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Hmmmm, well that kinda throws a curve ball. Most banks (that I have found) use a HP just to approve for checking account approval these days. Then later, I would receive another HP for CC app. May have to ponder this one.....determine if it's worth that.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 35 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Taurus22 wrote:

Hmmmm, well that kinda throws a curve ball. Most banks (that I have found) use a HP just to approve for checking account approval these days. Then later, I would receive another HP for CC app. May have to ponder this one.....determine if it's worth that.

No HP to open BBVA checking but I will warn you it's not guaranteed that getting it will open up their credit cards. I have a credit card and a checking and I can check personal loan rates but I would have to cold app over the phone or in branch for a card. 

Message 36 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's usually an option to add a credit card and it's clearly missing from my account.

9DB41881-0DB8-469E-AEE0-8D75700BD200.jpeg

Message 37 of 73
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No HP to open BBVA checking but I will warn you it's not guaranteed that getting it will open up their credit cards. I have a credit card and a checking and I can check personal loan rates but I would have to cold app over the phone or in branch for a card. 

Well that is one of those situations where a relationship with the bank via checking account would probably open that door for the CC. Would probably have to apply with a CSR over the phone. You sure it's no HP for the checking? Most banks are doing that now, my personal bank does. I think it's because most banks include overdraft protection which is by definition, a credit line.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 38 of 73
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

DH and I get spammed by BBVA several times per month.  I figure they just know I'm gardening and are being rude.  DH has scores in the 780s, so they are not just bottom feeding for me haha.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 39 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Taurus22 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well that is one of those situations where a relationship with the bank via checking account would probably open that door for the CC. Would probably have to apply with a CSR over the phone. You sure it's no HP for the checking? Most banks are doing that now, my personal bank does. I think it's because most banks include overdraft protection which is by definition, a credit line.

I have no inquiry from them from opening my checking account in like October or November so unless they changed the policy since, it's not an issue. They use Chex and EWS though. 

Message 40 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.